Boss DD-7 Tap Tempo VS TC Flashback Auto Tap?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by brand0nized, Jan 29, 2012.

1. brand0nized

brand0nized Member

Looking into getting a used delay pedal.
    For a DD-7, I'd have to find or make a tap tempo somehow, with the Flashback, you hold the switch and strum your tempo, but I'm not sure if that kills your signal so you're not sending your strums out to the PA.
    What do you think? Which method of setting delay tempo is better? What do you prefer?

2. yerbluesrob

yerbluesrob Supporting Member

For me external is best. The strum tempo just doesn't work for my application because the drummers I play with don't play to a click so sometimes I need toadjust tempo mid song. Tap tempos can be bought or made for pretty cheap, you don't need anything fancy, a box, a switch, and an out.

3. yerbluesrob

yerbluesrob Supporting Member

And yes, the flashback kills your signal while you strum the tempo.

PM me and I can walk you through where to buy parts and how to make your own, it's super simple. You can usually make your own for around $20. Or if you're interested I think I have an extra one laying around I can sell for cheap.

4. wrightdude

wrightdude Supporting Member

The TC strum does work well, but does drop your signal. I prefer dedicate tap for real time adjustments.....

And just cause a delay can tap doesnt always mean it works right! Make sure it doesnt change pitch or as is the case with the Hardwire delay, drop the trails abruptly and start new ones after each re-tap....

I have not used a DD7 but I presume it is well behaved?

5. brand0nized

brand0nized Member

That's great, I think I'll go into making or finding a tap tempo. I like the switch on the flashback where you can select quarter, eighth, or dotted eighth delay after you get your tempo. Can I do that with delay time knob on the DD7 or do I have to learn how to tap a dotted eighth tempo?

6. wesc

wesc Member

I would definitely go with a dd-7 if you want to tap. I have the nova delay and i would never even think of using the strup tap function over the switch. I also have a dd-7 and I really love the analog setting, but it only does quarter note tap. On the digital settings you can do quarter, dotted eighth, and a few more that I dont really use. Its also nice to have the looper function when writing guitar parts on your own. You should have no problem finding a boss fs5u or making a tap tempo for under $20. Pedal parts plus sells small enclosures already drilled and you just buy a mono jack and momentary switch and solder two wires to them.

7. brand0nized

brand0nized Member

I would think not, because it's digital, so it should adapt right away

8. Ghost Dancer

Ghost Dancer Member

Having owned both, I say DD7 all the way. Not only is it better regarding tap, but I just thought all the delay sounds were way better than the Flashback. You can select quarter, eights, dotted eights, or triplets, but only in the digital delay modes. Analog, reverse, and modulate only give you the regular quarters (I think, I haven't used an external tap in a long time, don't really need it). Overall, I think the DD7 is a better unit all around for a variety of reasons. Like some others said, build yourself a tap box for 20 bucks or less and you're golden.