Boss DD-7 weirdness

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MBT74, May 3, 2016.

1. MBT74

MBT74 Member

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm used to my simple DD-3 when it comes to Boss delays. I grabbed a second hand DD-7 today and am having issues getting it to work as expected. Is there a trick to this one?

If I set it to any mode, even at the longest D Time it's a really, really short delay. I'm talking stupidly short. And the feedback seems to be long regardless of where I set it ( unless it's set fully CCW). I can reduce the delay time using the built in tap tempo and it will be better but the moment I move the D Time knob I'm back to machine gun speed delay again. And tap tempo does nothing for reducing the feedback setting which seems to start just below oscillation.

I'm assuming this is user error so anything you can tell me that I need to do to set this pedal back to behaving like a normal delay will be much appreciated.

2. 9520575

9520575 Member

It sounds broke. I've never had that happen to me

3. delay dude

delay dude Member

Which power supply do you use? Do you use input and output A? Have you already tried an external tap pedal? There is a stereo mode, that can be programmed. You can read it on page 19 of the manual. I´ve never had a DD-7 - but perhaps it´s programmed for the 200ms "reverberant" mode.

AndySertin likes this.
  4. MBT74

MBT74 Member

It's running off a CIOKS Schizophrenic. I don't have an external tap tempo pedal so I can't try that. I'll have to look up that stereo mode. Thanks for the suggestions.

5. Ramhead

Ramhead Member

Try this:

The DD7 can operate in several stereo modes. To change the modes, power up the pedal and plug a cable into Input A. Then hold down the pedal’s switch and plug a cable into Input B. The “Check” light should flash. Now you can use the MODE knob to select the stereo mode you want:

3,200ms — independent delays for output A and B
    800ms — stereo panning delay
    200ms — “ambience” stereo delay

When you’ve selected the mode you want, press the pedal again until the Check light rapidly flashes orange then goes out. The new setting is now saved.

AndySertin likes this.
  6. MBT74

MBT74 Member

7. MBT74

MBT74 Member

Does this change anything if I'm not running the pedal in stereo?

8. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

its an extremely easy to use pedal. it must be broken.

ah- you bought it used. return it, the reason they sold it is bc they broke it.

9. Sentenced

Sentenced Member

By reading the manual it doesn't seem so.... It just selects a "stereo mode" for when you have to use it in stereo. Otherwise it should mention a method to reset the selected mode. From the way that it is written on the manual it seems that there is always one stereo mode selected.

I also checked the "service notes". It writes that a factory reset feature isn't available for this product. Perhaps someone will find something useful for this situation - I couldn't.

http://www.synfo.nl/servicemanuals/Boss/DD-7_SERVICE_NOTES.pdf

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  10. MBT74

MBT74 Member

I'm in discussions with the seller. I sent him the clip I posted here and he's both confused like me and horrified. He's certainly not disappearing like a scammer and I payed with PayPal so I'm covered and at this point I believe that he sold in good faith.

11. minty901

minty901 Member

This is why I don't buy used. This kind of thing crops up all the time. People screw each other over far too often. I spend more money, sure, but at least I have peace of mind.

Barnzy likes this.
  12. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

thats good. youve got a nice power unit- maybe double check youre using the correct power options if its one of those fancy units, lol. i know that time based effects draw more current and while they can mostly function on less sometimes they wont work correctly.

also are you using the mono output, rather than the 2nd stereo output? boss's stuff is so well designed id assume if only one had a plug in it it would default to mono but its worth asking.

the dd7 is such a great unit i hope you figure out whats going on.

13. MBT74

MBT74 Member

Thanks again for the help. I switched to a 9v Battery and no difference. I've also set it up in stereo mode and same result. Output A to the rest of pedalboard and output B straight to audio interface. Same issue through output A, clean dry signal from output B.

14. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

Its broke. I've had two DD-7's and used them in various modes. Its an easy pedal to use and it shouldn't make your brain hurt to use it.

Dr.Picklebottom likes this.
  15. MBT74

MBT74 Member

Yeah, I figure it's broken. It'd be great to have some idea of what's broken and if it's a 5 minute, $0.50 fix. The pedal has no sign of damage and there was no obvious sign of mods having been done when I took a quick look inside. I'll have to take a better look tonight.