Boss DD-7

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mike Duncan, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member

Just bought one of these units the other day. Anyone else have one?

I'm having fun with the analog setting, reverse mode, and the tap tempo. Still learning the different functions, but having a blast.

[​IMG]

2. lessthan3

lessthan3 Member

have it love it
    so much in one little pedal.

3. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Very cool pedal - Boss did a great job with it! I had one for a few months (got it in April), but ultimately preferred the new Hardwire DL-8. But no doubt, Boss did their homework with the DD-7 and listened to customer requests. Nice score!

-Ben

4. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

I also own it - great delay pedal. If you set the pedal on the modulate setting, roll your tone knob all the way down, and use a volume pedal to do some swells, you can get a nice lush wash of sound out of it. It can also self-oscillate practically forever if you are into that kinda thing.

5. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I think its a great delay unit!

Being a huge fan of the DD-20, the DD-7 is essentially a DD-20 in a small box.

6. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

I just picked one up lately and I'm really liking the HOLD (looper) function. 40 sec. of loop time that actually sounds great!

7. Malos

Malos Member

Does this pedal suck a lot of tone?

8. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I have to admit, when I first got it, I thought "no".
    Used it for months.
    Got the Hardwire DL-8 just to give it a shot... was never really happy with the 'modulate' mode on the DD-7 (bit too exaggerated to me) and wanted to hear what Digitech whipped up. Anyway, after replacing the DD-7 with the DL-8 in my chain, my guitar sounded noticeably better. Clearer. Not harsh, just clearer. So yes, the DD-7 did affect the clarity of my signal it seems. Would I notice in a band setting? No. But it did affect it.

-Ben

9. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I think the DL-8 is great delay, love the LoFi settings.
    But,
    I didn't like how there wasn't an external TAP feature like the DD-7.

I don't find the DD-7 a big robber of tone and I actually like the modulation from the DD-7 and DD-20.

10. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Absolutely - if you're into tap-tempo, the DD-7 is clearly the better choice because it allows for an external tap tempo switch. AND it's got rhythmic repeats... something the DL-8 doesn't have at all (e.g. no precious dotted eighths).

And no, the DD-7 isn't a big 'tone sucker' at all. But there was a noticeable difference when I put the DL-8 in it's place (set for true-bypass). Again, not huge, but enough that I heard and enjoyed the difference. And the DD-7's modulation setting - I thought it was a little to warbly and chorusy... I wish there were an internal trim for that. It sounded great when it was repeating against chords being held, but when the mix was up and you could hear the delay on it's own it was just a bit to warbly to me. On the other hand, the DL-8's could be heard to be a bit to subtle, since it's 'modulate' mode sounds more to me like that subtle, seasicky tape warble you can get when it speeds up or slows down due to warped tape or misaligned reels.

-Ben

11. Sruli

Sruli Member

I love my dd-7 and totally agree with you about the modulate mode being overdone . That being said I love the external tap tempo, the analog mode and the ability to do dottet 8ths. I keep mine in a truebypass loop so I can't help with the tone suck factor.

12. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

pretty cool little pedal. I've only begun to scratch the surface, and haven't toyed with tap tempo yet, etc.

I've had a RV-3 on my board for many yrs, and quickly found settings I liked. I'm still working with the DD-7 to find some favorite settings.

I still want to try out the Carbon Copy for simple analog delay...

13. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

Man, I guess I'm the guy that digs the Modulation on the Boss delay units.
    I get some pretty convincing "Edge" tones from it.
    I love how colorful and ambient it gets.
    It covers a lot of space.

14. vulcaniza P

vulcaniza P Member

anyone mess around with an expression pedal and the dd 7?

15. lessthan3

lessthan3 Member

i agree. its quite cool, but you need to twist the knob, cant tap in specifics for dotted eights and the like. i think...