Boss DD Series Delay Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Crunchy, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Crunchy

Crunchy Member

Hey guys,
    I've been looking into getting a decent delay pedal, and many people have recommended the Boss DD series delay pedals.

I'm trying to compare between the DD-2, DD-3, DD-5, and DD-6. Now I know that the newer ones have more features such as tap tempo and longer delays, but I'm asking you guys out there, if they actually sound differently compared to each other (and also, are any of them noisy when bypassed? Do any of them have true bypass?). On top of that, for somebody like me who doesn't need anything longer than a 500ms delay, what do you think is the best value?

Oh, and one final thing, are the kill switch/hi-cut mods from Analogman for these pedals really worth it?

Thanks

2. Megatron

Megatron Member

I have a DD20 that I use in the loop of a VHT Pittbull UL for one band and the loop of a Mesa DC3 for another band and have been extremely happy with it. I use the THe Tape emulation and it works great. I was skeptical when I bought it though.

I like it much better than the DL4 I bought and sold several years ago.

Also, I can't comment on the pedal mods, but with the 'tape' and analog' settings on the DD20 I think it stays fairly warm sounding.

I was worried about this thing sounding really digital-which has forced me to get rid of pedals in the past but it suprised me. Sounds great.

3. seanc

seanc Member

i have a DD-3, DD-6 and a DD-20 and i love them all. they are great sounding delays. i am currently looking into keeley and analogman mods so hopefully they will be done soon

4. CAJUN

CAJUN Member

I've had a DD-3 on my board for 15 years. It works best for me. I have a new DD-6 but I don't use it that much because it does affect my tone somewhat. Maybe that Keeley mod is the way to go.

5. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

First off, YES...the AnalogMan HiCut mod makes a WORLD of difference in these pedals (all except the DD20).
    My favorite is the DD5. The DD3 doesn't have Tap Tempo. The DD6 does have Tap Tempo, but its built in to the pedal. The only time this sucks, is if you have delay on, then want to go to tap tempo you have to hold the button for over 2 seconds then tap in the tempo.

Get the AnalogMan mods..they make these pedals so warm and really do make a big difference in tone. Night and Day.

BTW...my DD6 IS up for sale. :)

6. Last Nerve

You can find some MIJ DD3 with the same chip. But not all MIJ DD3s have the chip, so you actually have to look inside.

7. mr.mattphisto

mr.mattphisto Member

I have own the DD-3, DD-5 (twice), and the DD-6. The DD-5, to me, is a better sounding pedal that the DD-6. The DD-3 is great pedal as well. The DD-5 can use an external footswitch for tap tempo. I ditched the dd-6 because you had to hold it down for tap tempo which is not very easy to use in the middle of a song.

I currently have a DD-20 though. The DD-20 has few great settings..most of them already mentioned. I use the Modulation setting most of the time as well. The tap tempo works great too.

I didn't mod my dd-3 through 6 when I had them. I almost did, and then I bought a dd-20.

I know a few guys that use the mod'ed dd-5's and they sound great.

8. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I've had a DD3 for ages. Overall it's good, but the delays sound a bit thin to me...too clean almost. I prefer vintage delay sounds. It does the job, and I do notice a little bit of degradation in the tone when bypassed, losing some bottom and mids.

I swear by the Rocktron Short Timer for vintage style delays. It costs around $50 new and has really sweet delays, as well as enough delay time to cover all my needs. The switch does pop from time to time, but nothing too bad. Strangely enough, the bypassed tone is pretty unaffected. I would've expected lots of degredation, but no.

9. mr.mattphisto

mr.mattphisto Member

Forgot about the secret MIJ dd-3...those guys are hard to find, but I agree with Last Nerve....very nice Delay.

10. stump

stump Member

DD-20. Works great, is flexible as far as input/output levels, 4 presets plus manual mode and sounds very good through the many amps that I've played it through. Got rid of all my old delays and kept just this one.

11. david henman

david henman Member

...sold my dl4 to buy the dd20. not "quite" as musical as the line six, but much easier to use.

-dh

12. Crunchy

Crunchy Member

Hey guys,
    Thanks so much for the informative responses!
    So, from what I've gathered, the DD3's sound sweeter than the new ones...I'm in luck, a friend of mine says he may sell it to me for around $40 now that he's switched over to using rack-mounted stuff. I might get an Analogman mod for it.

But how hard is it to dial in specific delay time on it, without tap tempo? Say, if I wanted exactly 375ms of delay, how long would it take to dial in that length perfectly? I play some Floyd-ish stuff with it, and with some styles of delay use, it has to be perfect (think 'Run Like Hell' or 'Brick Pt. 1'). Also, how can I tell if it has the MIJ components?

13. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

well, you can tell if it's made in japan by looking at the back of the pedal and seeing where it's made. As mentioned, though, this doesn't mean it has that DD-2 mojo (early DD-3s were identical to the DD-2).

You have to open up the back and look at the circuit board. If you see a chip in there that takes up the whole width of the circuit board, you got an early one.

Having said that, DD-3s are NOT necessarily old. They still make them today, and some people prefer them to the DD-6, due to the fact that your original signal is still analog and only the delays are digital (IIRC).

Having said that, +1 to the DD-20! I love the analog model! If you use a stereo setup, the pan output is unreal for reverb-like 200 ms delays

14. trisonic

trisonic Member

I like the DD20.

To me it's very musical, you can set it up to run in loops very easily. Set up presets etc. - if it works OK when you get it it is unlikely to break in the future. They know what they are about with delays, what's not to like? True bypass? Cornish's are not true bypass they are pretty good pedals too.

Best, Pete.

15. Crunchy

Crunchy Member

Okay, back to the older DD series: How does one set an exact delay time without using tap tempo? Is that even possible?

Thanks!

16. Last Nerve

Takes some fine tuning, but yes its possible.
    You have the MODE knob, which on all of them has some preset delay times for each setting. From there you can adjust the Delay Time knob to fine tune in on the milliseconds you want your delay to be.

17. Creamy

Creamy Member

Keeley make an interesting mod for the DD-3. He improves the sound quality and adds two more delay settings that feature softer delay roll-offs - giving it a more analog quality on those settings. The best feature IMO is the effects loop. Like Diamond's Memory Lane, you can insert effects between the original note and the repeats. The effect in the loop will keep "effecting" the repeats. You've got to hear to believe it. You can (with the effects in loop) cause the delay to self occilate or even hover on the cusp. Very cool with, for example, when strumming a chord then muting the strings while you have a phaser (in the loop) phasesing the repeats, the phased repeats, the phased phased repeats, etc.

18. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

DD6 here .. I like it a lot works great and pretty transparent.

19. threm

threm Member

DD6 and DD5 w/Analogman mod. Both only used in the reversed mode cause thats where they sound least boss digital.

I like my rehoused EM5`s better than the Analogman mod.

The repeats of the EM5 are more organic as they are gradually more filtered with more repeats, like an analog pedal. I believe there`s a harmonic distortion thing in the feedback path of the EM5.

The Analogmans (and other modders) hi-cut filter mods are static;
    each repeat has the same amout of filtering.

20. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    I have all of the BOSS delay models made, DM-2, DM-3, DSD-2, DSD-3, DD-2, DD-3, DD-5, DD-6, DD-20 and the Analogman HiCut mod on a DD-3, a Analogman Reverse mod on a DD-5 and the Keeley effects loop mod. If I had to pick one I would go with the DD-20, it is the most flexible and sounds excellent. It is not noisy, it has a good bypass, but none of them are true bypass, at least without a mod. At $179 for a DD-20 it also is a great bargain.

TheGrooveking