Boss DD2 love?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by buddastrat, Dec 27, 2009.

1. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Anyone still dig this pedal? It's no boutique deal, but I've compared it to many of the latter Boss versions and it's much warmer and thicker. Only thing I miss sometimes is a tap.

I was wondering if I really need a $400 T. Rex echo pedal!

2. MERCYFULFATE

MERCYFULFATE Member

no. you dont need a T.Rex.

unless you want one.

the DD2 along with the early DD3 has the infamous and world renowned Roland long chip in them. so does the Boss DSD2 i use the early DD3 with the Roland long chip in it and i feel i have one of the best delays possible. and i also sent mine to Analog Man for the high cut mod. so i have the best of all worlds.

3. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Cool, I didn't know any of that about the chips. Mine is a real early one they came out with. I just know it sounds much warmer than any digital delay I compare it to. I wouldn't need it any warmer, with a tube amp, gain it could get muddy. still I like a tap feature so you can dial in quicker, in between songs on stage.

4. MERCYFULFATE

MERCYFULFATE Member

it doesnt matter if your DD2 is an early one or later it still has the Roland chip. they didnt make the DD2 too long before the DD3 came out. which the early DD3 is the exact pedal as the DD2 but they changed the name anyway. after a while the DD3s curcuit became different and has changed a lot throught its tenure.

yea the tap tempo is cool to have but i can live without it as well. check this link.....

http://www.bossarea.com/loadpage.asp?file=boxes/dd2.xml

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  5. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

6. kenstee

kenstee Supporting Member

Got lucky and got one on the cheap ($65 incl PP and shipping and great condition) and switched out my late-model DD-3 for it. Really like its "warm" tone better. As long as you don't really need a tap function IMHO it's the best option out there. It is what it is and does it great.

7. kenstee

kenstee Supporting Member

How did the mod help you?

8. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

I never knew the DD-2 existed until I stumbled across it here: http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=278

Gilmourish .com. Scroll down to Davids Echo/ Delay section. They talk about the DD-2 being much warmer sounding then the DD3.

Ive been looking to pick one up! Ive got a DD-3 I really like. Also, You dont have to pay $400 for a Trex. I see them here for sale in the Emporium all the time for $250ish.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  9. SHM

SHM Member

I've had the DD2 since it came out, and I'll never let it go.....

10. MERCYFULFATE

MERCYFULFATE Member

theres a good read on Analog Mans website. the toggle switches it from dark to darker and the middle postion is stock.

11. MERCYFULFATE

MERCYFULFATE Member

the earliest version of the DD3 is the exact replica od the DD2. then of course it change. i have the earliest version of the DD3. its awesome.

12. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

Have owned one since it was new. Great delay! Even better with the Monte Allum Hi Cut mod which is probably similar to the AM.

13. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

Bought it new back in '84, best digital delay I've ever used.

14. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

I got one. I love it. It is my second one and I also had one of the MIJ long chip DD3s. Great pedals. They are at reasonable prices now too.

15. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I traded my leather coat to my buddy for his dd-2 back in the 80's. I always thought it sounded fine. I didn't know how good it was until I started playing the field.

16. musicman1

musicman1 Member

I have a DD2 which I bought sometime in the 80's Im guessing. I used to use both the DD2 and a DM2 on my pedal board at that time and the DM2 was noticibly darker sounding. I never found the DD2 to be anything really special but Ive used it for many many years and recently retired it.

17. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

The DD-2 has warmth that I don't hear w/ other digital delays that I've tried, but the really special thing that I notice about it is that the repeats blend together in an almost analog way- yet it doesn't sound analog, always remains clear and defined. The fidelity is simply outstanding, highly touted for good reason IMO.

18. ELA

ELA Member

Luv the DD2. But after using one as my only delay for many, many years in the effects loop I retired it and got a timefactor. Still thinking about adding to my pedal board though as a backup.

19. guitplayer0321

guitplayer0321 Member

The DD-2 has the same chip as the Roland SDE-3000, as I recall. It sounds every bit as good as the SDE-3000 I once had, but without the hassles of carrying a rack around; I'm all pedals now. It's my go-to delay.

20. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

I have a DD2 and a DD3. The DD2 sounds slightly better, but really there isn't that much in it to my ears. Maybe I don't hear such a difference because I don't use huge amounts of delay.

They're both great pedals (IMO).