Boss DD20 design flaw

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by joemail75, Jan 26, 2015.

1. joemail75

joemail75 Member

Am I crazy or is it difficult to adjust the settings on the DD20 in a live setting? If I have a patch and I want to extend the repeats, or turn up the effect level, (basically edit the premade patch on the fly) it doesn't work. I can make it work eventually by taking the knob back and forth a few times but this is becoming tedious.

Am I right?

2. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

I think you're crazy. I just turn the knob and the patch changes to suit. I'm back to a DD-20 after trying lots of other delays (Timefactor, Timeline, Brigadier, SMM w/ Hazarai, H9) and love the sound and ease of use.

3. Geosh

Geosh Supporting Member

I won't say you are crazy, but I'll agree with the above post that it isn't hard to change on the fly. One of the things I like about the DD-20 is how easy it is to tweak.

For example, if I made a preset with Level and F.Back levels at "noon" and then wanted to switch them to say 3 o'clock, I dont recall any issue with that. I definitely don't recall having to "sweep the knobs back and forth" in order to get it to change.

4. joemail75

joemail75 Member

Perhaps I am nuts. :)

5. Lpmusicservices

Lpmusicservices Member

Yes you have to sweep the knob to change the value from a preset. It's in the manual if I remember correctly. It prevents accidental moves from the foot. One of the reasons I went to the Memory Lane Jr. It's easier to tweak on the fly.

6. Geosh

Geosh Supporting Member

From the manual:

Operate the knobs to change the sound.

* To avoid sudden inadvertent changes in sound, the E.LEVEL, TONE, and F.BACK knobs are designed so that the setting does not change unless the knob is first turned as far as the stored setting value. Once the position of the knob matches the setting value stored in memory, the sound starts to change. When a setting changes, the MEMORY indicator flashes automatically.

I guess I don't change from one extreme setting to another... If you had a preset set with all the knobs maxed or something, it might be a pain having to sweep all the way up to allow you to dial it back down. However if you know you are going to be tweaking things, it might just be better to keep it in Manual mode for that one.

This is evidence you might not be nuts. I just never had this issue with the settings I use.

7. LionVerse

LionVerse Silver Supporting Member

But that's how most with presets are unless it has a rotary encoder rather than a pot

8. joemail75

joemail75 Member

I'm not crazy!

I understand this is similar to how all pots really work. I find the difficulty in the DD20 is that your knobs will not stay in the place they are when you originally create the patch. How do I know or remember where my effect level was when I created my patch? Thus I just blindly turn it till I hear more/less.

The manual tips are helpful (go figure, should RTFM). Thanks for that.

9. Grimace

Grimace Supporting Member

Just sweep until you see the memory indicator flash, then you are very close to the stored setting, adjust from there. That is how I did it when I had a DD20.

10. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Member

I wouldn't consider that a design flaw since most gear gets knocked around in setup or transport. There would probably be a thread bringing up the exact opposite if Boss didn't enable this.

Do you alter settings for each preset or one or two? If you have a free patch or even the manual settings, why not have the extra for a patch with less or more repeats?

11. meterman

meterman Member

yes you have to sweep past the point where the preset was stored and then it's interactive

knobs won't hold presets (you'd need motorized knobs or similar for that) so just have to use your ears...I sweep to end of pots range then back to zero and then roll up slowly

12. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

I like that the "design flaw" mentioned in the OP is that the presets don't instantly jump to the position of the knobs when you activate those presets, so that your work in setting up the preset would all be erased.

13. brianc brianc

brianc brianc Supporting Member

14. Paulstarr

Paulstarr Member

i have to same problem

15. Enusire

Enusire Member

Same here with my DD20 bro. I also thought my DD20 is faulty.

Congratulation to your delay journey! Really helpful. :facepalm

Thanks for this post. That seems to be the answer. I´ll try that in the next days. :)

16. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

That "flaw" is the same as the catchup feature you can enable on the Eventide Factor pedals. It prevents you from suddenly jumping between extreme settings with a slight move of a knob (like changing mix from 10% on a preset to 90% if the knob got moved somehow). It's a good thing, IMO.

17. joemail75

joemail75 Member

Calm down...I know it's not a "flaw". I like to make my thread titles more interesting then "DD20 knob question". It generates more views.

The memory flash is a great help. I understand the knobs inevitably will get moved and adjusting blind was a hassle. Makes much more sense now.

18. elijah

elijah Member

it can be a little annoying at first, but after using it for a while, you get used to it, and it doesn't slow me down in a live setting.

19. Enusire

Enusire Member

Thanks for that! :)