Boss DD200 bug

mambosun92

I recently found out a major bug with my DD200:

While kicking the memory switch to select a preset, the light starts to blink and the display indicated a unknown (for me ) message “Fin..” or “Fn…” not mentioned in the manual, and could not got rid of this. I then unplugged the DD200 from the main and discovered when powered it back that all my 8 presets were gone! Even the presets extension (which I had previously set form man to 8) has disappeared since only 4 presets were accessible.

Anyone else has experimented such issue ?

SubApathy

Platinum Supporting Member
I will send an email to their Backstage support service asap, but I have little hope they would answer to my request, at least last time I asked for support they never replied.
That's unfortunate. I hope you get it fixed.

mambosun92

I just had a second look at the manual which is far from being explanatory and the only explanation I could see is that for any reason, the DD200 switched back to reset factory mode, this while I just was recalling a preset using the tap memory switch.
Weird!

mambosun92

I finally got a reply from Roland/ Boss. They don't know anything about this bug and they recommend me to send the pedal back to Roland if this issue shows up again.

hydroquebec

That seems like a bad response vs. actually looking into the matter for a potential firmware update.

As interactive software becomes more prevalent in pedals, I would hope that manufacturers start to understand that the quality control process goes further than just making sure basic functions and footswitches work.

olejason

How is the pedal being powered? Definitely sounds like it 'crashed' and factory reset itself. Surprising that Roland wouldn't understand how that behavior could happen.

mambosun92

How is the pedal being powered? Definitely sounds like it 'crashed' and factory reset itself. Surprising that Roland wouldn't understand how that behavior could happen.
The DD200 is powered by a PSU brick which never failed so far (Donner DP2) and is connected to a Y splitter cable sharing 500mA output with my CabDry VR (ie: 225mA +130mA). I point out that the DP2 is powered by a good custom adapter delivering 3A.
Previously I never had any issue whith the DD20 which preceded it in the same configuration.
In the assumption of a power failure, my guess is it just will shut down the pedal, not reset it completly, but I'm not a technician.
Regarding your remark about Roland reply, I won't be surpised to learn that this was not a technician who answered to my request, but I could be wrong...
In the meantime, I cross my fingers..

Trending Topics