• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Boss DD200 underwhelming midi operation

Arcdjo

Perhaps it’s just my lack of knowledge about setting a midi properly but compared to Strymon I’m having a hard time with the midi commands to dd200 from the G-Lab/GSC4 foot controller. After some hours of trial and error, since I couldn’t find any documentation about midi, I managed getting some things done. I found that sending 0 when using CC27 turns the power off and when sending 127 in CC27 turns the power on. I couldn’t find a way to have a toggle operation so by using a single button on my controller to switch on and off. According to the manual, CC80 is the control for the first button but there is no response after a proper sending of command/ no toggle. Also when using CC81 to perform the actions of button2 I can’t set tap tempo.

Can anyone help me to find:
  • A way to toggle on/off using midi?
  • The proper CC to send tap signals?
  • The proper CC to send tempo?

chanley

I have the pedal, but don't use any midi stuff on it.
Maybe this video has some tips that might help?

CarlGuitarist

Perhaps it’s just my lack of knowledge about setting a midi properly but compared to Strymon I’m having a hard time with the midi commands to dd200 from the G-Lab/GSC4 foot controller. After some hours of trial and error, since I couldn’t find any documentation about midi, I managed getting some things done. I found that sending 0 when using CC27 turns the power off and when sending 127 in CC27 turns the power on. I couldn’t find a way to have a toggle operation so by using a single button on my controller to switch on and off. According to the manual, CC80 is the control for the first button but there is no response after a proper sending of command/ no toggle. Also when using CC81 to perform the actions of button2 I can’t set tap tempo.

Can anyone help me to find:
  • A way to toggle on/off using midi?
  • The proper CC to send tap signals?
  • The proper CC to send tempo?
If you check page 13 of the manual you'll see that the CC# are user configurable. So you need to enter the settings menu and see what the numbers are set at. https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/DD-200_V110_eng01_W.pdf

As to bypass/engage via midi CC#27, you already know the numbers. I don't know if the G-Lab can be programmed to toggle between two values like that, you'll have to check the G-Lab manual.

Arcdjo

If you check page 13 of the manual you'll see that the CC# are user configurable. So you need to enter the settings menu and see what the numbers are set at.
I ‘ve read the manual and it’s where I found out the CC80, CC81 could perform switch1 and switch2 operations, but this is partial. Assigning CC80 in GSC4 for example doesn’t “simulate” the actual button.
Another similar difficulty that I am having, has to do with the looper operation. Like before there is no CC mentioned in the manual to perform this operation.
I would like to assign a button on GSC4 to start/stop the looper and another one to control the tap tempo. The only workaround I managed was that I assigned the looper_on/off function to external ctrl No1 (which corresponds to a certain midi CC) and then i used this CC to enable/disable the looper. Then I had to assign the looper_start/stop to the remaining external ctrl No2 and do the same in terms of midi assignment. After that I had no other options left ,in order to perform additional tasks (since all the external foot ctrl options (2/2) were used. Things would work like a charm if there was a way to find out which CC turns on/off midi and which CC start/stops recording. There is nothing on the manual.

Arcdjo

I don't know if the G-Lab can be programmed to toggle between two values like that, you'll have to check the G-Lab manual.
Forgot about that.. I thought the same until I connected the Strymon Mobius and worked as requested, button A assigned to foot-switch 1 of GSC4 and button B assigned to GSC No2. I used the CC of the tap-button as the Tap-Control of GSC4 so by taping any of No1 or No2 buttons on GSC the bpm changes (wasn’t easy to find a solution for halved tempo signal, but it’s fine now)

CarlGuitarist

I ‘ve read the manual and it’s where I found out the CC80, CC81 could perform switch1 and switch2 operations, but this is partial.
Can you please open the link I posted and quote where you're getting your information from, because I can't find anything you're saying in it. Are you going off the printed manual? I'm trying to help you but you may be working with outdated info since the software has been updated since release.

Last edited:

Arcdjo

I have the pedal, but don't use any midi stuff on it.
Maybe this video has some tips that might help?
Great video that could save me some time if I had seen that before. Unfortunately there’s no reference to the button/switches controls midi control, which is what I am trying to do.

chanley

in addition to what @CarlGuitarist has suggested, have you tried contacting Boss support? Is that an option? (i've never done it, but might be worth shooting them an email?)

Arcdjo

We never know :) ... perhaps if they get some more inquiries they might provide us with additional information someday. 1000% satisfied by the product but it would be more than great if I could automate a few things plus that I could “avoid” those 2 not so “toe”-friendly switchers

CarlGuitarist

We never know :) ... perhaps if they get some more inquiries they might provide us with additional information someday. 1000% satisfied by the product but it would be more than great if I could automate a few things plus that I could “avoid” those 2 not so “toe”-friendly switchers
I’m sorry but is that you don’t want to understand what they/I’m saying or what? You can map basically any function to a CC# using the edit menu on the pedal, including bypass and tap. Holy crap I’m never taking a job in CS ever lol.

Arcdjo

No you can’t. You can’t program the start stop of looper neither the on/off of the looper. It must be a way, but definitely not in pp13 of this manual. So it would be much appreciated if someone could tell which CC can be used to control these functions.

Last edited:

Trending Topics