Boss DD500 firmware update - ever going to happen?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bass in Zurich, May 4, 2016.

1. Bass in Zurich

Bass in Zurich Member

It's been out a while now. I'm beginning to think they won't ever updated it. Such a shame as it clearly needs a couple of tweaks to notch it up a level.

For me, all I want is Global Tab and Looper level...

oh and a patch editor...

Surely Boss, in the new modern age of Line 6, Fractal, Source Audio etc, you could do this..

2. JMP72

JMP72 Member

yeah I really want a patch editor

Caramello Koala and josetxu like this.
  3. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

Isn't Boss/Roland kind of known for making ****** manuals and never updating their firmware?

Elantric likes this.
  4. thesooze

thesooze Member

I'm gonna vote no, but sort of hope to be proven wrong!

5. Bass in Zurich

Bass in Zurich Member

Yeah, but I was kind of hoping that with the DD500 being the first real answer to strymon etc that they would follow suit with the digital side too. :(

6. slap_back05

slap_back05 Supporting Member

We're never getting an update, so you might as well forget that. There's still a tiny glimmer that they could release some type of editor/librarian, but all hope of that is quickly disappearing as well.

Honestly, at this point, Strymon could get a lot of business back if they release an update for the Timeline adding a few things that the 500 did a little better. I'd go back for a better digital delay and MIDI clock send...

7. Monstercastle

Monstercastle Supporting Member

I'm not holding my breath. No revenue in firmware updates, so little motivation for them to do so. Add to that the risk of supporting bricked units and so on.

8. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

I wish this would happen...would love to see PS-3 Mode 7 instead of the current Shimmer algorithm. But I just don't think Boss rolls that way. Some companies' philosophy is just 'standing by the product they've delivered.' They may feel offering firmware updates opens up a can of worms. Newer companies like Source Audio, Strymon and Neunaber have quite different philosophies.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  9. Jose Eduardo

Jose Eduardo Member

They have done updates to the GT-100 so there might be 'some' possibility of a future upgrade...

ThinPaperWings likes this.
  10. idma

idma Member

Question: Does Boss, or any of these big pedal companies, even bother to keep supporting their products? Or just leave them as it is. Essentially "if it aint broke don't fix it"

11. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

Moog, though not a big company by any means, is great about updating their firmware.

12. thesooze

thesooze Member

Source Audio are big updaters :)

gibs5000 and ThinPaperWings like this.
  13. slap_back05

Strymon been doing a lot of updating for their software that nobody knows about?

14. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

No...I'm sure everyone here knows about Strymon's TL firmware updates. Strymon added changes to preset naming and spillover within a year of release or less, if I remember correctly. Not loads of updates, but more than Boss (0). That was all I was trying to say. But they have not revised their algorithms or firmware to the point that Source or Neunaber seem to have.

thiscalltoarms likes this.
  15. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

I was a guy nagging forever about the librarian, about the global tap, about the midi clock sync issues, and preset naming. Every one of those issues was resolved eventually, plus the spillover which I leave on all the time as well... I've been very very happy with Strymon's willingness to support their customers with firmware updates. But yes, the firmware updates are features, not changes to the algorithms...

16. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

Yes. I didn't mean to muddy the waters on the algorithm vs firmware distinction. I'd be happy if Boss was open to updates of either. (That shimmer...:confused:...)

17. earwax

earwax Member

A new one every week. So far I think the product I want from them needs a hardware update. :hide

Turnipfarmer likes this.
  18. slap_back05

As well as Eventide. Strymon's firmware updates are simply the result of a product being rushed out the door and the company issuing an addendum after user complaint. Better than Boss so far, yes, but I wouldn't list them with companies that actually provide their users with substantive update to content and function for years.

19. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

I guess I don't know enough about their process to draw that conclusion definitively. Sounds like you have some passion around the issue :) It would be great if there were algorithm updates for the Timeline for sure.

20. slap_back05

Not really that passionate. I just remember all the promises by companies like Line 6, Boss, and Strymon about updates that just never followed through, and don't like that everyone on here only blows smoke up one of those company's ass while bashing the others...