Boss Delays

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by somedude, Jun 10, 2008.

1. somedude

somedude Member

What's your take on the various Boss delays?

I want to build a two delay setup (low key rhythm/more up front for lead/and dual delays for multi-tap goodness), and although I prefer the sound of Analogue for clean delay, I find they mud up too much with heavy OD or gain and thus want to stick with digital for the clarity.

These'll be used in an FX loop if it makes a difference.

So, what's your suggestions? Pros/cons? Stuff to get/stay away from? That sorta thing.

2. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I've always used the Boss DD-3 it's very good for digital and sounds great in my fx loop also very quiet and if you want analog warmth get one with the Analogman High cut mod or if you can solder just add a capacitor across the volume pot!

3. funkycam

funkycam Member

I think the dd-6 is a versatile & useful delay.
    Tap tempo is a must for me & I use the more esoteric settings (backwards & infinite hold) every so often for different textures.

4. TX6Strings

TX6Strings Member

I'll second the DD-6. The new DD-7 is getting good reviews on here as well.

5. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

the dd20 is a great dual-delay setup. . . . except it's like having five. . . . excellent analog simulation and old-school pristine dd3 style digital. . . . i've tried a billion delays (okay. . . like 20?). . . and this is THE ONE for me. i don't know why i keep messing around . . . when you've found a good thing, stick with it. . . and get back to the songs. . . .

6. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

7. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

The dd20 will cover all boss delays tonally except the DM-1 & 2 which are analog all though it can get a very nice analog delay sound fwiw. DD20 Nails DD-2,3,5,6,7 tones dead on, 5 presets, Stereo in, Stereo out, expression pedal. tap tempo, even has a lighted display - really can't go wrong with the dd20-

The ONLY thing I'd want for the DD20 is a in/out for the wet sounds, its cool to have a clean guitar delayed and the repeats are distorted.
    Not a biggie though.

8. Don L

Don L Member

Love the new DD-7!

9. HandOfTheHost

HandOfTheHost Member

I've got both a DSD-2 and DD-6 which I use in series (DD-6 on short delay, DSD-2 on a longer delay.) With the proliferation of many, many cool looking delays lately (esp. new analog models I'd like to try,) it's still tough to kick either off the board. They're just too reliable and fine sounding. Short of an Echoplex or tube reverb unit, I don't foresee them being ousted by the latest flavor of the month, but DAMN it's tempting.

10. somedude

somedude Member

Cool. I already have a DD-3, just didn't want to mention it at first so I didn't tilt the recommendations. I had a DD-20 in the past and it had too many knobs. I hate tweeking ,and yet despite the fact that I hate tweeking I always have to f*ck with things and I can't just leave things be, which makes me angry when I f*ck up something that was perfectly good end up with something that sounds worse... which causes a new round of tweeking, which I hate. It's a vicious circle.

Anyway, what can the DD-7 bring to the plate that the DD-20 or DD-6 can't?

11. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

the dd20 is easy to dial in... Don't let more then 3 knobs bother you :)

It could be something like this!
    [​IMG]

12. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

DD7 is just smaller and the preset sounds for analog and chorus sound great. In short, the DD7 gives you some of the better sounds of the DD20 with less deep editing options. No digital display, modulation is preset, a little less flexibility with subdivisions, no extra memory slots.

The external tap on the DD7 makes the DD6 not worth talking about. The DD5 however, is a bit more organic than the DD7 to my ears. The DD20 balances everything nicely...

13. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

DD-3 for a good, solid basic delay

DD-7 for everything else.

Combined you can have anything you wnat.

14. High Voltage

High Voltage Member

Can you set the DD-20 for two dual delays going at the same time?

15. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

What value cap would you use?

16. mik777

mik777 Member

yes, it has a dual delay function. works great!!:JAM

17. marcher5877

marcher5877 Member

I have 2 DD-6's and a DD-20 on my board. I love em.

18. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

Aren't the DD2 and DD3 the same thing, they just renamed it to justify the price drop because the chips got cheaper? I have a DSD-2...with the dumb little sampler...but it's a nice digital delay. I think it's only 12 bit or something like that (maybe 16?), so the delay signal isn't quite as crisp as some of the later more hi-fi ones, which is a good thing. It sounds quite nice. (I had a DD5 or a 6 (or was there a 4...can't remember) a while ago and didn't like it all that much). use it with a Retro-Sonic analogue delay too for some interesting interplay.

I was just going to ask the same thing

19. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

Chiming in also with agreement that DD-6 is a great pedal.

20. markezgotez

markezgotez Member

i love boss delay's!!! the dm2 is one of my favorite analog delay's. and the dd2 is my by far my favorite digital delay. i don't think you can go wrong with any of the new digital boss delay's either. dd3 sounds great. haven't tried the dd7 but the dd6 was great!