Boss dm-2w issues?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tanee, Apr 19, 2016.

1. tanee

tanee Member

So I got a boss dm-2w in the mail today. A used one in supposedly mint condition. I can help but notice the this high pitch noise on top of the repeats that almost sounds like a bit crusher or something similar. It's very subtle but quite annoying.

My question is.. is this normal for the pedal or is it damaged? Because if it's not normal I will have to open a reverb dispute most likely. I'm used to noise when it comes to analog delays and I've owned many but that noise was almost like a white noise.. static like. It didn't make a specific note/notes.

2. bdm

bdm Supporting Member

"Clock noise", not uncommon with old analog delay pedals. I'm guessing there's an internal trim pot that controls the delay time. Beyond a certain point the clock noise comes into play.

3. downburst82

downburst82 Member

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    I have one and don't think I notice anything like what you are mentioning. Does it do it when its the only thing in the chain? What's your rig and settings? I can try to see if I van replicate the issue you are having.

as mentioned could be clock noise but since you said you were used to analog delay I figured you would know what to expect with that.

4. tanee

tanee Member

American strat standard into the dm-2 powered by a cioks dc-10 into the normal channel of a vox ac-15 handwired. Not much room for error there.

To the poster above(bdm).. I've owned a carbon copy, malekko 616, memory boy, memory lane, original boss dm-2, memory man, and an aqua puss. I've played several other analog delays as well. I know what normal clock noise on an analog delay should sound like. There's the normal white like noise with this dm-2w and on top of it is this high pitch bit crusher like noise.

I vaguely remember someone mentioned this high pitch noise in a previous thread but can't seem to find it.

5. muletrane

muletrane Member

Does this happen in both modes?

6. msnes335

msnes335 Supporting Member

Are you describing aliasing, and does it only happen when you have the Repeat Rate knob about 85% of the way up or higher (all the way to the left in this case)? Then yes it's normal.

Javiceres likes this.
  7. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

it is not clock noise, it is aliasing noise. it creeps in during the last 25% of the slowest delay time in many analog delays.

Javiceres and critter74 like this.
  8. tanee

tanee Member

It is in both modes. More prominent in the standard mode. With the custom mode it's only there with the longer repeats. Standard mode has this high pitch noise no matter the delay time. Although when it gets the point of slapback it's kind of hard to tell.

I guess I've never noticed this with any of the other analog delays I've owned if this is normal. Maybe it's more pronounced in the dm-2w?

9. tanee

tanee Member

The more I think about it the more I think this isn't normal. I would've noticed this obnoxious noise with the other pedals. Maybe someone opened this pedal and tweaked with it?

10. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

That was my guess

11. la noise

la noise Member

How are you powering it?

12. Mejis

Mejis Member

Mine does this once the repeats are about 2/3 of the way towards the slowest setting. It's not a pleasant sound, but I've been told it's normal. I have one of the old ones FWIW and the trim pots appear untouched. This delay is noticeably noisier than the AD9 I had before it, but it sounds awesome when the repeats aren't close to max.

If you're getting that noise all the time... Well I don't think that's normal. From researching the old ones it seems that if you play around with the pots to get more delay time you can introduce more noise... but that doesn't seem like something anyone would do to the w because of the custom setting.

13. david(j)

david(j) Supporting Member

I had a malekko lofi mki with that exact problem! It frustrated the hell out of me. I ended up selling it to GC and taking a loss, but didn't feel like I could sell it here in good conscience.

14. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

It's normal. I have 2 DM-2W. They both do it. Irs aliasing or click noise. It's normal.

Most other modern analog delays either use more chips or compounders to minimize the sound.

You make an extreme effect of it with the EHX TTs by tapping in a way longer delay time.

Javiceres likes this.
  15. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

a lot of people like the way these old pedals are made out to be the holy grail but dont actually understand or in fact like what they sound like.

boss's digital delays sound amazing and have incredible feature sets. dont be ashamed to prefer the fidelity of a digital delay.

16. Phase45child

Phase45child Member

My DM-2w is quiet and well behaved. Yours sounds a)defective b)tampered with.

Either way it's not working as it should if the noise is really bothering you. Analog is a tiny bit noisier but not to the point where it stops you playing (in my experience)

AshMaui likes this.
  17. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

Sounds to me like someone went inside and started messing with some trimpots.

Going to be hard to re-calibrate back to a "normal" setting.

18. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

sounds to me like you haven't much experience with the DM-2, or analogue delay in general. why would you assume someone had messed with the trimpots?

critter74 likes this.
  19. El Gallo Negro

El Gallo Negro Member

People's experience with the noise can also be very different from one amp to another because of the amp's (treble) voicing / brightness. The white noise from my DMM is very noticeable on my vox, but nonexistent on my mesa.

Matt Rain and AceBSpankin like this.
  20. manasquanto

manasquanto Member

He's owned 7 other analog delays.