Boss DM-2w vs Retro-Sonic Analog Delay

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Musicmaster, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Musicmaster

Musicmaster Supporting Member

The only two threads that I've seen about the Waza Boss DM-2w were before the pedal even came out...
    This doesn't bode well for the Waza reissue, I'm thinking... If it were even close to the original, wouldn't everyone be raving about it here on TGP, where the original gets lots of love?

So, who's had one?
    If you aren't going to take the plunge on a vintage DM-2, is the Retro-Sonic Analog Delay still the way to go? Or has this new DM-2w taken it's place?
    Which one do you prefer, and which one do you think sounds closer to the original?

I remember hearing about the Waza series before they came out, but almost forgot about them completely until I saw a DM-2w pop up in the Emporium the other day...

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  2. Ivo

Ivo Member

Man, I never knew the DM-2 was so sought after until the DM-2w came out. Anyway, "the more you know" and all that jazz! :) I believe TGP member Coldacre is an expert in this topic. Hopefully, he will see this thread and chime in. Good luck!

3. Rick Towne

Rick Towne P&W--Praise & Western--on 6, 8 and 12 strings. Silver Supporting Member

I've had about ten DM-2's, three DM-3's and three R-S's over the years. I still have two R-S's, and have relied upon it since 2007. Longer delay time, tone control, extra double/half setting, and better form factor. And the "Ehco" control on the original 600ms model.

4. msnes335

msnes335 Supporting Member

I don't think you were looking close enough, there was 2 threads a week for the last month or so.

Anyway, the DM-2W only just hit the stores in America, at least in wide distribution, last week. I ordered one the first time I saw it was listed as "in stock", and it should arrive tomorrow. So, I don't think it's in enough hands yet to read into it one way or the other. There is one thread on here where some of the guys who got them early have chimed in, and some have loved it, and some have had problems. So we'll see.

5. Musicmaster

Ah, this makes sense... There should be user reviews popping up very soon, then! Burgs just did a demo for one 5 days ago, and him and PGS Andy always seem to sell lots of pedals based on their videos, alone...
    So I'm sure people will be taking the plunge and reporting back shortly. Hopefully this Thread will see some action within a couple of weeks!
    I'm still quite happy with my silver RS Analog Delay, but I know that people will be A/Bing and/or comparing them shortly, and I'm looking forward to hearing what people have to say about the subject. Personally, I don't really need the extra footswitch on my Retro-Sonic for the short/long delay times, so the compact size of the new DM-2w appeals to me if the sound quality is there!

6. scotty31

scotty31 Supporting Member

ive had the retro sonic and I've had an original DM2 for a long time as my go to echo.
    And recently gave the Waza a quick whirl. (our shipment must have arrived before the US in Oz. Something breaks our way in the pedal game!)

The Waza is nice, but falls short in the mojo category. Same as the RS. It sounds awesome, though not anywhere near as good as an AD900 and Mem Lane.
    Its the imperfections in the originals that make it perfect. It sounds and feels alive compared to pretty much every other delay I've tried.
    Simply put, nothing comes close to an original DM2 or DMM.

7. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

the ongoing thread is here:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1550098&highlight=waza+delay

far from an expert good sir, but cheers for the rap :beer

8. Musicmaster

*sigh* I was afraid that would be the case...
    What did you like more, the Waza or your Retro-Sonic?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  9. scotty31

scotty31 Supporting Member

good q.
    Its been years since I've played the RS and i only just got done with the Waza.

The waza captures some of that "bounce" that old analog delays give you. And i think given a choice, I would go the Waza over the RS. I like Boss boxes too. Less room for error when trying to hit them :p

10. msnes335

msnes335 Supporting Member

Hey Musicmaster, I posted my review on the other thread, if you haven't seen it yet. I do like the Waza very much, have probably put in 12 hours over 4 days with it so far. It's worth trying.

11. papersoul

papersoul Member

The Retro Sonic is just too big. For how I use delay, I don't need a huge pedal.

My favorite analog delays:
    Maxon Compact AD10, which many believe outperforms a vintage Maxon AD900 or Boss DM2.
    Malekko Dark Ekko
    Seymour Duncan vapor trail
    MXR Carbon Copy bright
    Boss DM2 Waza Craft which I prefer over an original DM2.
    If the Retro Sonic were smaller, I would have one.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016