• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Boss DS-1 40th Anniversary Edition, thoughts?

Shiny_Beast

Gold Supporting Member
pretty sure I'll be getting one. It's time I did some jamming with the old ds-1, this is as good an excuse as any.

atemporal

I got one. Compared it to the 1997 DS1 with Rohm chip - sounds identical, smidge more gain, that is the only difference, and it's very modest. The DS1-4A uses a new JRC chip NJM3404AL G900B. This is different from the New Japan Radio (aka JRC) NJM2904L they started using in 2006. I don't have a post 2000 DS1 to compare it to, but I spent hours yesterday comparing my two on a variety of pedal and guitar settings and the difference is honestly barely noticeable. Whether this chip is now the defacto DS1 chip or whether it's a special one for the anniversary edition I haven't been able to find out, but Boss have got the sound back to the 1990s version. I'll compare it to the original Toshiba chip too and report back in a few weeks once I have it as to whether it really is that much better as the chatter on the internet would have us believe.

Last edited:

MIM#1

Question for Analog Mike, [or any DS-1 experts]
Is one of the 9 pins in the original TA7136AP chip unused? In other words, could a pin be sniped and then installed in a newer 8pin Jrc NJM3404AL / Rohm DS-1?

atemporal

Question for Analog Mike, [or any DS-1 experts]
Is one of the 9 pins in the original TA7136AP chip unused? In other words, could a pin be sniped and then installed in a newer 8pin Jrc NJM3404AL / Rohm DS-1?
Could it be that simple? The whole circuit was rehashed in 94 to bring it to work on a 9V PSA supply, but the bulk of the DS1 ran on 9V internally - it was just the ACA adaptor stage that didn't.. But the two circuit boards were so different Boss called them DS1 and DS1A on the circuit boards to emphasise the difference, and the instructions in the service manual state they should be treated differently. However the schematic circuit diagrams are virtually the same with some differences at the voltage input and how the IC chip is connected (extra caps in the DS1 and an extra grd connection). I wouldn't want to say either way.

MIM#1

Yeah, probably not compatible, but it would be awesome if they were! [I've got 2 TA7136AP's in my parts drawer]
Somebody must know!

Able Grip

A few years back Boss put in the JRC chip that we had been using in our Pro mod for a decade, it does make the DS1 sound better. They also copied part of our TR2 mod. Thanks for the props, Boss!
Man they are slow... only took them what, 15 -20 years? I always wondered why these large pedal purveyors would continue to market products with problems that others would fix. Looks like they have theirs heads out of their a$sses?

JonSick

I have one... I've not used it much and the main reason I got it is that it looked nice haha.

I had a DS-1 way back in the mid 90s but owing to a flat I was living in going on fire I don't have it anymore. It didn't sounds all that different to me from what I remember.

The thing with the DS-1 is how you use it really. I put it into the clean channel of a valve amp. Always sounds great. In fact it's getting used on a very imminent recording for my band soon.

valvestate

I have one... I've not used it much and the main reason I got it is that it looked nice haha.
This is also the only reason why I'm getting it! And of course, for collection! :D

I have a 2009 DS-1 and I don't really hear any major difference with the sound.

analogmike

You may not have seen the post I made on FB and Instagram.. the new orange ones (not sure on the black ones yet) are now surface mount so we can't mod them anymore.

Bucksears

Gold Supporting Member
You may not have seen the post I made on FB and Instagram.. the new orange ones (not sure on the black ones yet) are now surface mount so we can't mod them anymore.

Man, that blows. I hope such a redesign is a precursor to a Waza version. Seems almost inevitable, but still.

Brian Gilmour

Yeah I have a 40th edition that's boxed up ready to send to you to mod when I have the $ to do so. It looks like the tried and true DS-1 and nothing like this new version which I assume has been changed in the last few months.

DrewwerD

You know who's glad he just got one from @analogmike?

This guy.

I've only had about a half hour play time with it but I'm loving it. Going to sit down and compare it with my old 90's stock DS-1 tonight or tomorrow.

Trending Topics