1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Boss DS-1 love

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Shiny_Beast, May 21, 2011.

1. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Supporting Member

This pedal takes a beating around here. I would submit, that while it's no **insert fav booteek pedal** it's one of the most usefull pedals I've ever come accross. If you don't overdo it with the gain or high end you get nice chunky distortion that still has good pick attack, isn't too compressed, and cleans up nice and chimy.

I love my DS-1 :)

Rock on

Mr_Derp and wildschwein like this.
  2. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

The MIJ DS-1's are a lot of fun, that actually sound good in a band mix if set right. People forget that back in the day, it was a DS-1, Rat or Muff for high gain in a pedal. I sold my MIJ, may grab a cheap Taiwanese one to mod, just for kicks.

3. Greiginoz

Greiginoz Member

It was my first ever pedal purchase, I don't have it anymore but I used to love it for all my early days learning guitar and settling down with the power chord!

4. scolfax

scolfax Supporting Member

Is there really a difference between old MIJ DS-1's and new ones? Really?

5. JRBain

JRBain Member

One pedal I'd love to own. I think I'd mod it (I really like the Keeley mod), or buy a modded one, but it is a great sound.

I'm a big Steve Vai fan, and have been since I started playing, which probably has something to do with it. :aok

6. jguitarnash

jguitarnash Member

Only played a couple of them...and I was NOT impressed, but I need to try one out on a decent amp and then I can actually form a more informed opinion. I do LOVE the SD-1....

7. JRBain

JRBain Member

:aok

Great pedal. It was my first stompbox, and it's still my OD of choice. Never heard anything else that has that sound. It's now in for mods, but you can't polish a turd, right? :D

8. Miles

Miles Member

I like the DS1, but my RAT sounds better. ;)

9. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

Yes. Entirely different chip, among other differences. The MIJ's are much warmer and way less sterile/tinny sounding.

10. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

BYOC has some brief info about the differences on the page for their clone of the early DS-1.
    In the end, it's so cheap there's no good reason not have one kicking around.

11. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Supporting Member

AFAIK some of the clipping comes from overdriving the chip, so ya it makes a difference.

12. King Rat

King Rat Member

13. scolfax

scolfax Supporting Member

Wonder how the Badass '78 compares.

14. billyjett

billyjett Member

Your right, it does have a tendency to take a beating sometimes, which is a little odd since I can remember back in the day when it first came out, it was considered to be the Holy grail of high gain distortion.Everybody I knew had one, and if you didn't you were lame! Now, years later, I was ordering some pedal's from Robert Keeley, and I thought what the hell I'll get one of his DS-1's with his Ultra mod feature, and it's been on my pedal board with all the " new and improved" stuff ever since. It's a great pedal for certain types of sound's, and although my musical taste's have gone more towards the Blues side of things, I still use it on some classic rock and 80's rock stuff.There are other drive pedals that I prefer over the DS-1 for most of my playing, but I will always have one.

15. Stick&LeafTrap

Stick&LeafTrap Member

I have a Keeley SEM version. I didn't like it much at first, so I set it aside. Then I came back to it later and found that it actually sounded pretty rockin. The controls on the mod version have a really wide range, which makes it harder to dial in as a tradeoff for versatility. I think I was struggling at first to find good settings. Certainly not a very natural sounding distortion (it really dominates the signal chain), but it can lend some pretty good sounds. I'd be interested to compare it with one of the originals.

16. earwax

earwax Member

Picked up a DS-1 last night for $30. I haven't owned a DS-1 since the 90's and was running it through a pro junior I had at the time. I remember hating it especially against my friends tubescreamer. I sold it and bought a TS-10 or something. Recently been picking up some Boss pedals like and SD-1 and an OD-2r. Really loved the OD-2R btw. So I decided to revisit the past and plugged in the DS-1 today and actually really enjoyed it. Sounded pretty decent through my Voxes. Seems to cut through well and has nice decay that doesn't sound fizzy. It's not really a sound I would use too much so while it won't make it on the board I will probably keep it around for a little fun once in awhile.

Yeah yeah Ill say it first... Cool story bro.

17. VHS analog

VHS analog Member

My lead tone is an XTS Atomic and/or Wampler Pinnacle into a DS-1.

It's an especially good sounding DS-1.

18. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Member

i had a ds1 which i modded with a flat mids and it really sounded god. i just sold it since i didnt have space for it on the board. i'd love to get one soon after i get a ts-9.

19. reddog112

reddog112 Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I never could get much out of a DS-1 that I liked. But I think Boss has made about 50 billion of them, so they must work for somebody. I have about 3 or 4 SD-1 pedals that I have picked up over the years. When I see one for $20 I have to grab it. To each their own, but the pedals are classics

20. clapointe1

clapointe1 Member

Got my hands on a MIJ Boss DS-1 a few years ago and it kick my Keely Ultra Mod DS-1 off my board !