Boss DS-1 MIJ

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by aboutdrill, May 21, 2006.

1. aboutdrill

aboutdrill Member

I know this sounds weird but after trying a bunch of distortion, fuzz and OD pedals (OCD, TS-9, Direct Drive, Sunface, MJM London II) I still prefer my MIJ DS-1. Here is what I use it with - 57' Fender Strat reissue with '54 Suhr pickups from Acme. I tried active pickups and Kinmans but I didn't like them. They had higher out-put but sounded like poo with pedals (especially the DS-1). Plus yucky tone. The Suhr '54's have great tone and work well with pedals. My amp is a Victoria Victoriette with 6L6's. It's kind of a cross between a Victorilux and a Victoriette. It's a single channel and very clean. I use the DS-1 just to get a bit of grind. If I crank the distortion knob it gets nasty yucky fizzy bright static but down low it's great. Cleans up nicely with the volume knob - in a very tappered way - not too fast like some pedals. I find the DS-1 very transparent - I can roll down the guitar volume and the eq remains the same when it's off or on. I'm not sure if I can do better with a different pedal.

Anyone else like their Boss DS-1?

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I haven't seen the word "yucky" in one post so many times since I went on the toddlers' forum

3. aboutdrill

aboutdrill Member

Sorry, I didn't know you had a 2 "yucky" limit.

4. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

I have a long dash Silver Screw DS-1 and it has more distortion than any modded DS-1 I have heard and it is a lot smoother as well...one of my favorites!

5. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

I've got one of the first run Boss DS1, with momentary LED... i prefer its tone to all the MIT stock Boss pedals and Keeley modded DS1s. Its on my board because I enjoy the extra sustain/boost/thickener effect. I think its the only Boss distortion pedal I'll use...

6. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

just yanking your chain, yucky boy :dude

If either yourself or mrbluetone or shredcow would be willing on sending me your DS-1s to try out sometime, I'd be most grateful. Obviously (a) I'd pay shipping both ways and (b) it is an incredible long shot you guys would do it, but social manners be damned!

7. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey aboutdrill,

Check out my early '80s MIJ Boss DS-1:

[​IMG]

I had Analogman install his Super mod on it. It cleaned up the noise from the pedal, improved the tonal range of the tone control and gave it a little more output. When it was stock, if I turned it past 10 o'clock, it got quite trebly, was noisy and the distortion thinned out at high volume. Mike Piera made my old DS-1 a fun pedal to play through again.

Guitar George

8. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

Hey Guitar George, do you know all the chords? ;)

Nice pedal. :D