• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Boss ES-5 Discussion

jjjacksonjjj

Fantastic. Can someone walk me through the steps or post a video of how I can assign the 'mute' and '5' switches to scroll through the presets on my H9 via midi?

I already have certain H9 presets assigned to particular loops via midi but am stumped when it comes to assigning/commanding those two switches to scroll through my H9 presets[/QUOTE

Watch this video https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...51A4A09E1AA6169A3A5851A4A09E1AA61&FORM=VRDGAR

basically you just need to go into the ctl/exp menu (for each preset - I could be also done in the global menu, but then you wouldn't have the mute or bank down available in any other preset) and turn the function of each button to off. Then, go to the assign section and set up assign 1 & 2. On 1 set the source to mute, the switch type to momentary (it could also be toggle - I dont have mine with mw to check - just swap between the two if it doesnt work at first) and set it to send out the correct midi program change. Do the same for assign 2 using bank down as the source. The trouble you will have is that it doesn't appear that the H9 has a pc set up for bank up and down - not listed in the manual anyway. If you can find the correct midi setting from eventide, you would be good to go.

deftgala

Thanks jjjacksonjjj, the video helped out and so did your instructions. I was able to set up the ES5 to control scrolling through the H9 presets. What I also needed to do was assign a CC for each assign under the H9 Control app -> Pedal -> General Settings. I made scroll down 'CC10' and scroll up 'CC11'

deftgala

Thought I'd post this for any H9/ES-5 users that haven't worked out this useful bit I recently learned.

I have an H9 connected to the output of the ES5, via midi. I do not have the H9 connected via the expression jack or any of the loops. I wanted to assign a secondary function that would engage the flange effect from my H9 to the same switch as the patch it was on, patch #113, which is switch #1. However, I wanted the H9 to remain bypassed when the patch was on. This way I could activate the H9 (flange effect) when I needed it later on during the bridge of the song I was playing. I also wanted to turn on the 'BANK' LED on the ES-5 (red, not blue) to match the H9 LED when I engaged the flange effect during the bridge.

With the help of another member of the Facebook group for the ES-8/ES-5, I was able to figure this out.

1. On my H9 Control app, I went into PEDAL -> MIDI SETTINGS -> ASSIGN MIDI CC MESSAGES TO PEDAL FUNCTIONS
  2. Set BYPASS to MIDI CC 127. Set ACTIVATE to MIDI CC 1
  3. On the ES5 I went to EDIT -> PATCH -> PATCH MIDI
  4. Selected Channel 1 (for my H9) and set the PC to 10 (This is my H9 flange present I wanted to assign to the patch) . Then under CTL1 set the CC# 001 and under CTL2 set the CC# 127
  5. Press Write until it saves the settings to the patch
  6. Re-enter the Edit page on the ES5. Go to CTL/EXP -> Assign 1 (or any assign you want) -> Turn 'Sw' to ON, 'Src' to CNum (that's what I wanted to do), 'Mod' to TGL, 'Cate' to MIDI, 'Ch' to 1, 'CC#' to 001
  7. Press Write until it saves the settings to the patch
  8. Re-enter the Edit page on the ES5. Go to CTL/EXP -> Assign 2 (or any assign you want) -> Turn 'Sw' to ON, 'Src' to CNum (that's what I wanted to do), 'Mod' to TGL, 'Cate' to LED, 'Target' to BANK
  9. Press Write until it saves the settings to the patch

OverdriveLover

Silver Supporting Member
just got the ES-5 to replace my One Control OC-10 on a new smaller lighter gigging board.

Started programming last night. So far I'm pretty impressed. I do wish they has a knob you could use to scroll through the MIDI numbers like when programming a CC# for example. But otherwise so far so good. Great form factor for the features as well.

GtrGeorge!

I'm sort of pissed...I bought the es5 to stop tap dancing , but to change up a bank takes multiple taps!! Geez, my 1991 Voodoo labs Ground control did this better..and that was made years ago! Am I missing something? Its at least 2 taps. And to get BACK to the band where i started takes like another 5 taps. UNREASONABLE!!!!!! Am I missing something????????????? Has anyone bought a Boss FS7 and actually used it with an ES5????? (to switch up and down banks?)

nnnnnn

I'm sort of pissed...I bought the es5 to stop tap dancing , but to change up a bank takes multiple taps!! Geez, my 1991 Voodoo labs Ground control did this better..and that was made years ago! Am I missing something? Its at least 2 taps. And to get BACK to the band where i started takes like another 5 taps. UNREASONABLE!!!!!! Am I missing something????????????? Has anyone bought a Boss FS7 and actually used it with an ES5????? (to switch up and down banks?)
Surely you saw a picture of an ES-5 (if not saw one in person) before buying? It clearly has only one footswitch labelled "Bank", so how did you think it would work?

You may want to look at the global Bank Change Mode parameter, which has an option for "immediate".

As far as getting a Bank Down function, I believe the patch Ctrl/Exp section of the manual explains how to use an external footswitch to act as a Bank Down. I believe you can also reprogram any of the built in footswitches (perhaps the Mute button would be a good choice) to do that - it's covered in the same part of the manual. (Either way I suspect you have to program that in every patch, but I would start by saving a default patch with bank working as desired and then copy that patch.)

GtrGeorge!

Surely you saw a picture of an ES-5 (if not saw one in person) before buying? It clearly has only one footswitch labelled "Bank", so how did you think it would work?

You may want to look at the global Bank Change Mode parameter, which has an option for "immediate".

As far as getting a Bank Down function, I believe the patch Ctrl/Exp section of the manual explains how to use an external footswitch to act as a Bank Down. I believe you can also reprogram any of the built in footswitches (perhaps the Mute button would be a good choice) to do that - it's covered in the same part of the manual. (Either way I suspect you have to program that in every patch, but I would start by saving a default patch with bank working as desired and then copy that patch.)
Thank you for your thoughtful reply .
I will definetly look into the options you describe to do what pretty much every user would need to do: go back and forth between patches . Shame on boss for not making it easier . It's a first order need.
But that's boss. And hence, they often miss the mark.. I think it's the "decision by committee " problem .
When I see them at shows, it's all very corporate . Nice, but very Corporate.
Back to the gear, I go!!

Hoping to pick one of these up tomorrow. Just to clarify, I can definitely use midi to select patches on the Strymon Big 3 at once can't I?

nnnnnn

Just to clarify, I can definitely use midi to select patches on the Strymon Big 3 at once can't I?
Yes.

When selected, an ES-5 patch can send up to 8 separate MIDI patch change messages, on the MIDI channels of your choice. And, optionally, send up to two CC messages per MIDI channel. (So you can, e.g., select a patch on the Timeline and set it to bypass mode, and select a different patch number on the Mobius, and select a third patch number on the reverb pedal.)

You can also program "assigns" to send CC messages triggered by external footswitches or expression pedals or reprogram on board footswitches for that.

(As far as i can tell, the ES-5 and ES-8 can only send MIDI patch change messages when changing ES patches, a limitation that doesn't bother me.)

yoyo1983

Thank you for your thoughtful reply .
I will definetly look into the options you describe to do what pretty much every user would need to do: go back and forth between patches . Shame on boss for not making it easier . It's a first order need.
But that's boss. And hence, they often miss the mark.. I think it's the "decision by committee " problem .
When I see them at shows, it's all very corporate . Nice, but very Corporate.
Back to the gear, I go!!

So.. Anyone solved the bank down issue?

nnnnnn

Well, I thought my suggestion the other day covered it, without going down to step by step instructions.

The user manual isn't great, but I think it does cover this reasonably clearly in the "Func" row of the Ctl/EXP table on page 10 of the downloadable PDF.

How would you like it to work? External ctrl pedal, or...?

Last edited:

OgamiZ

The best way IMO to switch banks is to change the patch select mode to "mode 2" in the "play options"

The ES5 manual said:
MODE 2
Press the [BANK] switch and then press a number switch [1]–[5] to switch to banks 1–5.
It's much quicker to get from say bank 1 to 5 this way, you could also set the mute to go up in groups. Or if you prefer a bank up down you can set the mute as a bank down.

What do you mean by "issue rate"??????
The ES8 is renowned for having failures. Loads of people report having to send them in to Boss for a fix for this volume issue, and also an issue where some loops just stop working.

It's the one thing holding me back to be honest. I don't want to be mid show and all of a sudden my pedalboard goes down because of an issue with the ES8.

yoyo1983

The best way IMO to switch banks is to change the patch select mode to "mode 2" in the "play options"

It's much quicker to get from say bank 1 to 5 this way, you could also set the mute to go up in groups. Or if you prefer a bank up down you can set the mute as a bank down.
Oh great! I'm aboutt to pull the trigger on one of these... Thanks¡

GtrGeorge!

Well....
so far mine is working perfectly. My only quip is with switching banks..and i learned HERE (thank you!!!!!) But you know how it is...sigh.....I started messing with all sorts of combinations of what I already have....and behold...I may be able to meet all my pedal needs without using the ES-5. Yeah, I know it sounds suspect...but truly, I played a restaraunt last week and went in there with my ES-5 and large pedalboard and I raised alot of eye brows. There was so little space...so this week I hunkered down and got a much smaller, but still use footprint from my tech21 FR5 and few other select pedals. I am doing a rehearsal tommorrow night and if all goes well....I may sell the ES-5 and live with my stripped down pedalboard. For me and my priorities: It may be be much wiser to have a smaller pedalboard. I love all the options but in the end...it can distract from me as a front man and entertainer. To me, it should never be about the gear. It should be about the entertainer.

effectsman

The ES8 is renowned for having failures. Loads of people report having to send them in to Boss for a fix for this volume issue, and also an issue where some loops just stop working.
Can you provide some links to where people are reporting this? Saying the ES-8 is renowned for failures is implying that it is occuring a lot. I haven't found anything in my searches so I'm keen to read further about this before potentially purchasing one.

nnnnnn

It's not renowned for having failures, or by definition we'd all know about the problems, so I agree that some links to details would be nice.

The only general issue I've come across online is something with the expression out jacks (which I don't use anyway, so I've never tried to verify it with my own ES-8).

Trending Topics