1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

BOSS ES-8 Discussion!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JB Eckl, Jun 4, 2015.

1. JB Eckl

JB Eckl Member

I was blown away by the feature set of this thing from Day 1, so as you guys start getting them in, let's see if it lives up to the promise!

I love the ability to switch pedal order. If you guys have ever checked out EHX's 'Effectology' videos, it would be hard to get those types of sounds without total routing flexibility, especially on a live gig. I used a Sound Sculpture Switchblade and loved it, especially for that ability, but it was a deep deep unit and I often felt like I was programming a synth in the '90s. Admittedly it had a huge feature missing on the ES-8 - continuous control of levels at all stages in the path, which eliminated the need for a volume pedal.

The Decibel 11 Pedal Palette has some ability to swap order in 2 or 3 different ways, which is very cool, but the ES-8 is 100% 'whatever you want.'

I predict this thing will take over pedalboards with alarming speed, because if you want a full-featured switcher and a midi controller you usually have to buy them separately, pushing the cost over $1000... and still have little or no routing flexibility.

What say you guys? Show us your new boards, talk about how this thing works!

KeLynne, Forrest Litke and drod2045 like this.
  2. JB Eckl

JB Eckl Member

Forrest Litke likes this.
  3. Calaban

Calaban Member

I'm definitely intrigued. If it had a song and set list mode I would be sold. But as far as I can tell those features are missing.

themannamedbones likes this.
  4. drod2045

drod2045 Member

I've definitely interested in buying one. I wont be an early bird; simply due to cost and wanting to hear more feedback from users. But I'll also be looking on the secondary market for sure!!!

Question: When using an expression pedal ins, can that pedal also be routed to be used a vol pedal?

Also - could you give some more tactile reviews? How do the switches feel? Overall quality of the unit? Jacks...ease of programming/switching routings, etc...

Lastly - will this unit be update able via computer downloads?

5. aisling

aisling Supporting Member

I am waiting to hear actual user feedback for a month or 2, then for one of Sweetwater's 36 month 0% sales, and then I'm all over this.

alfoster likes this.
  6. Monstercastle

Monstercastle Supporting Member

Also waiting for user feedback. Very interested, and have a Decibel 11 Pedal Palette on my board at present. I'm very happy with it tonally, and feature wise, but I really want to get more loops than the four with the PP. I was going to get a Radial Twin Cities to add my other amp(s) and run dual, so part of the cost of the ES8 will be offset by some things I now won't have to get like that. But I will also rewire at the same time, so that adds back in. When all is said and done I'm looking at $700-$850 spend on the board that I have to justify to myself first.

7. DRGUN

DRGUN Member

I appreciate the crazy flexibility and great price of this product, but its not something I'd personally ever use. I predict it 18-24 months itll be half the price it is now, and then discontinued shortly after that.

8. Calaban

Calaban Member

I don't know man. The market for pedalboard switchers has really expanded in the last few years and this unit has a great feature set at a competitive price.

I have been using pedal switchers since 2009 or so and I could never go back. Plenty of folks like me out there. I think this product, as long as it's well built and easy to use, will do great. ​

9. R.C.Moran

R.C.Moran Silver Supporting Member

A set list mode would be nice. I figure you could simply use banks to correspond with songs and use switches for parts and such, then bank up/down for the next song. Not sure if you can name the banks on the ES8, but I think it would be highly functional organized as such.

10. Calaban

Calaban Member

Can you re-order the banks? If so then it could function as basically a setlist mode...as long as you could also name the banks after songs. With 800 presets there should be plenty of room.

I'll have to dig into the manual at some point. I'm sure I would have all the answers I needed.

11. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Member

Yeah - I was seriously looking at waiting for the ES-8, but in the end I went with the Musicomlab EFX MKIV for 2 reasons -smaller size and set list mode, and setlist mode is now something I'd struggle without!

themannamedbones likes this.
  12. R.C.Moran

R.C.Moran Silver Supporting Member

Not sure, I would bet not, but I don't think it would be too bad even just dedicating a bank to a song and throwing that number on your setlist, as long as you're not burning through more than 30 a night switching shouldn't be bad.

13. Calaban

Calaban Member

After perusing the manual quickly, it seems the ES-8 has "bank exchange" which I assume means re-ordering of the banks. This could work as a setlist mode.

The unit also has 2 expression pedal inputs as opposed to the MKIV's 1....this could be perfect for me, as long as I could assign how each pedal works on a patch by patch basis.

Does anyone know how many PC's and CC's the ES-8 can send on each preset? I only quickly skimmed the manual but didn't see that info anywhere.

14. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Member

I sent a pile of questions to Boss back when I was really interested in it and got this reply regarding PC and CC messages

Calaban likes this.
  15. Calaban

Calaban Member

Wow that's pretty sweet.
    Now if the expression pedals can be set per preset this is a serious contender for me....except for the size. But I might actually be able to step down a size on my pedalboard if the expression pedals can be assigned. Right now I have 2 but am contemplating adding another. With 2 exp inputs and flexible assign-ability I might be able to get that down to 2 pedals and still have all the control I want.

I literally just hooked up my MKIV though.....sigh.....

16. OverdriveLover

OverdriveLover Supporting Member

with so many banks can't you just assign a whole bank of presets for a song, and then bank as you move through the setlist? how do setlist song modes work? I had a Carl Martin OctaSwicth and was looking at the ES-8 but after all the delays I went with the One Control OC-10 so I am not familar with setlist modes...

I just thought most would do:
    bank 1 = song 1
    preset 1= intro
    preset 2 = verse
    preset 3 -chorus
    preset 4 = solo

bank 2 = song 2
    preset 1= intro
    preset 2 = verse
    preset 3 -chorus
    preset 4 = solo

MetalGuitard likes this.
  17. Calaban

Calaban Member

I think for many people this would work fine. But I play in two bands which never play the same sets from night to night.

I have been using Musicomlab products for years and I had to write the bank next to each song on our setlist each night. The new Musicomlab has the ability to create songs from a pool of presets, and then arrange those songs into setlists. I just got it the other day so I haven't yet set that up, but I suspect it will be a great help.

fhelu likes this.
  18. OverdriveLover

OverdriveLover Supporting Member

ah so once you configure a song and save it you can arrange via a setlist. that's a pretty nice feature...

Calaban likes this.
  19. starkj

starkj Member

Thanks for the info from Boss. I wonder if there's an advanced manual or something like that. Stuff like the MIDI capabilities more deeply would be nice to read. IIRC there wasn't any info on the tuner output either in the manual, but I guess that's a pretty straightforward function. Still, with the possibilities of "assigning" so seemingly many functions to any footswitch, I just feel that the manual isn't complete. And what about possibly updating the software via MIDI á la Strymon? Guess we'll know soon.

20. jimmynorrisjr

jimmynorrisjr Member

Mine came in Tuesday. This thing delivers perfectly. Feel free to ask any questions. Here is how I have it set up:

Input 1: Les Paul from Bare Knuckle Mules
    Input 2: Les Paul from Fishman Power Bridge
    Loop 1: Voodoo Lab Proctavia
    Loop 2: Xotic XW-1
    Loop 3: Keeley Comp Pro
    Loop 4: Strymon Mobius
    Loop 5: Suhr koko Re-Loaded
    Volume Insert Send: Bogner Ecstacy 101B Input
    Volume Insert Return: Effects Loop Send
    Loop 6: Eventide H9
    Loop 7: Strymon Timeline
    Loop 8: Strymon Bigsky