1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

BOSS ES-8 Discussion!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JB Eckl, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Flip362

Flip362 Member

So I have an es5 now instead of the 8, but I use it the same way. I have one button always assigned to be a tap tempo, one to turn on/off delay, then what I would call x button and Y button. Usually a boost and a mod, or overdrive and a reverb change. I don’t use many banks, I just preprogrammed the basic tone, then modify as necessary. 1-3 being the primary tones. 1: clean 2: Crunch 3: ambient pads. If I want a lead tone I add boost and delay. If I need really specific tones then i’ll Program them in on a song basis on different banks. But a song’s needs usually live in the built preset, but definitely in the same bank. I’ve never needed such drastically different tones in a single song that I couldn’t get with 3-4 presets. (When I had Es8 I had 4 bases, with the 5 I only have 3). I also use the assign of the number of the button of the preset I’m using. For base preset 3 (ambient) it will be clean. Delay and tap still exist, but x and y do 2nd reverb and boost. If I press 3 again it changes the channel of my preamp pedal from clean to dirty, or something along those lines. Press it again it switches back. I found this a more expressive way to preprogrammed but still make adjustments live as necessary! (Obligatory old pick of Es8 with tags to show example)

jacopo and twp like this.
  2. Scott Germain

Scott Germain Member

Ah, great. Those answers give me some good insight. Thank you very much!

3. Feder

Feder Member

Hola tengo este pedal:
    - Boss es 8
    - retraso en la línea de tiempo
    - mobius
    - reverberación bigsky
    - compresor cali 76
    -overdrive analogman
    -pulse la gloria de la mañana
    -Revival Drive
    - boster mxr
    -Evento h9
    - Wah cea 402
    - buffer JHS
    - Jefe Eq

Mis preguntas son ¿cómo conecto todo en mi Boss es 8? Y MIDI etc
    yo a doctor, about Electronic o dont Know, can you help me?

Sorry my English, I am from Ecuador, hola a todos.

4. flatulentmatt

flatulentmatt Supporting Member

Quick question (did a search very quickly and couldn't find anything). Is there any way to get the ES-5/8 to send a normally open signal for tap tempo rather than the Boss-standard normally closed? I know I can't do this on my MS-3, was wondering if the ES series were the same (I couldn't find anything in the manual, so assuming no).

m.z. likes this.
  5. dairyland dan

dairyland dan Member

Has anyone tried to hook up a GigFX Pro Chop pedal via midi to the ES-8? I can't figure out how to assign it.
    I'm also running a Strymon Timeline and Big Sky via midi as well.
    Thanks,
    Dan

6. madfed

madfed Member

Was anyone able to control Tap tempo of Strymon Flint with ES-5 or ES-8 with remote switch.
    I have (in ES-5) remote Tap tempo switch hooked up to Ext Ctrl 1/2 (in) and Flint exp to Ctrl 1/2 (out) but for some reason it's not changing tempo.
    The Flint is in Tap Tempo mode. I verified by hooking up Tap Tempo pedal directly. And it does change tremolo speed when hooked up directly.
    I tried to set up Assign (Src:CTL1| Cate:E.CTL|Target:CTL1) but still nothing.

7. nnnnnn

nnnnnn Member

I don't have a Flint, but don't Strymon pedals use a weird TRS configuration for tap tempo instead of the simpler TS that other manufacturers use? Which may mean you can't control it from the ES. (Hopefully an actual Flint owner will chime in to confirm or deny.)

8. oansun

oansun Member

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/boss-es-5-external-tap-tempo-issue.1798788/
    This help?

9. madfed

madfed Member

Thank you for the answers.

Flint does have a TRS input but Tap still works if you plug simple tap tempo switch with Mono cable directly into Flint. So in theory it should work even in very simple scenario like in Boss quick tip videos with no Assign setup.

This looks like a different issue, but it does seem he got it working with El Capistan. So there is hope.

10. HipUncle

HipUncle Supporting Member

For the record, my issue was that there was a polarity switch on the expression pedal. I flipped it, and everything worked as expected. I thought it odd that plugged in direct to the pedals, they didn't care about the polarity.

11. spod

spod Member

Tried to find an answer but didn't have any luck so would appreciate any tips.

Recently picked up a 2nd amp so am considering going stereo with my rig. I have a few Strymon/Eventide pedals that can run in stereo so my question was whether the ES8 splits stereo effects across outputs 1 & 2? For example, for presets with a ping-pong effect, would I get the 'ping' on output1 and the 'pong' on output2 or do I just get 'ping-pong' on both outputs?

Reading that back, it sounds like a really dumb question :D

12. oansun

oansun Member

Yes

13. spod

spod Member

Is that "yes" to the first part of the example or the second part?

Or was it "yes, that's a really dumb question"? :)

14. oansun

oansun Member

Lol, 2/3.

But the ES-8 has 2 stereo loops and the outputs will, in turn, do stereo. But you’ll have to set it up to do that, of course

15. Smemma

Smemma Member

I’m thinking of buying an es8 but can’t currently stretch to buying new cabling for it all too - can anyone tell me how far apart the send and return jacks are on the back of the es8 please? Want to be sure my current patch leads will fit!

16. spod

spod Member

They're pretty close together. You definitely won't have enough room if you're using pancake jacks, Planet Waves etc. You might get away with EBS flats but the jacks on the upper row will be angled upwards. The only ones I've seen that fit nicely would be something like the Evidence Audio SIS, Lava Cable or George L's kits. If you had a bunch of straight angle patch leads and were happy to lose a bit of room at the back of the ES8, I think it should work fine.

17. Smemma

Smemma Member

Thanks for replying; had a feeling that might be the case, and I currently have pancake jacks. Want to go the Evidence Audio route but the whole thing will have to wait...

18. spod

spod Member

It's Evidence Audio that I have on mine and they're great. I tried some of the cheaper equivalents (the Harley Benton sets from Thomann.de for example) but it just proved that there's truth in the old saying that you get what you pay for so I replaced those with more Evidence Audio.

19. radiophonic

radiophonic Member

Has anyone managed to get the ES8 or ES5 to correctly activate a Favorite preset on one of the small box Strymons? There is definitely something weird going on here. Using a TRS cable, it switches but waits 2 seconds. It's not a switching delay per se - the contact closes / opens as soon as the patch changes. The Strymon seems to wait though. Switching out of the patch, it returns to the manual settings instantly. I suspect this is some sort of weird cable wiring and the delay is a bleed to earth. I've spoken to both Strymon and Roland, but so far no joy.

20. Warp

Warp Member

Hello guys, I need help with my boss es-8. I bought it used from a touring guy here in my city. I hooked it up and tried it at home with all my pedals and a small practice amp and I was so happy! But yesterday I finally used it with my real amp (Marshall plexi super lead reissue) and I experienced tone suck!! I was rocking a crocodile tail switcher before, and the sound was pristine.
    I am positive that all the connections are ok, but I am experiencing a lot of mushy sounds, if I bypass all the loops the sound it’s not the same. My OD and distortions and muff sounds awful compared as they used to (ofc because I have tone suck with all loops bypassed) and turning on the IN Buffer actually degrades the sound and makes it quieter.
    I run a jazzmaster into the plexi and the direct sound is full of harmonics and it’s lively, rich, pristine. Now I get lower volume, less brilliance and an overall layer of suck. This is my set up with power supplies and so forth:

Fender usa Jazzmaster
    Patch bay for in/out/send/return
    Ernie ball volume pedal
    Boss es8 in
    L1: Walrus Deep Six
    L2: EQD Dunes
    L3: Sovtek Black Russian Big Muff
    L4: Walrus Red
    L5: Boss DC2/Walrus Julia/EQD Depths
    L6: Line 6 HX Stomp (mod effects and eq/gate, no amp sim at all)
    L7: Strymon Timeline
    L8: Empress reverb/EQD Transmisser

ES-8 hooked up via 4CM with a tc electronics ditto looper before the return to loop delays and reverbs.

Power supplies: strymon ojai and Voodoo Lab 4x4 (line6 has its own power supply since it needs lot of mA)

Cables: evidence SiS

As I stated before when I was using the same system with a crocodile tail switcher the tone of my amp was unaffected (I was running mod, delays and revs in the effects loop as well) and now I get this tone suck from the es8 alone.

Please help I am going mad...

Thank you so much guys, I am asking here since you all seem very knowledgeable about this unit.

Nick.