1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

BOSS ES-8 Discussion!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JB Eckl, Jun 4, 2015.

1. nnnnnn

nnnnnn Member

Have you tried just guitar to ES-8 In, ES-8 out to amp instrument input, all ES loops off? (Obviously you want a more complicated hookup than that, but just for troubleshooting purposes.)

Regarding the 4CM, presumably using the Volume loop to include the Marshall's preamp, have you made sure the Volume loop is turned on and in the right place in the loop order?

2. spod

spod Member

This would have been my first guess as well

3. Warp

Warp Member

Yes, volume loop is on and in the correct place (after my drives, before my modulation and delay/reverbs). For the 4CM I followed the diagram that boss provides (a normal 4cm connection btw). It's not that the sound isn't there, it's there and the volume loop is working, it's just that the sound is not the same as before. I noticed it immediately and so did my band mates.
    I didn't troubleshoot anything yet, will try to do as you say, and slowly add single pedals in the equation, unfortunately it's something I can't do at home because i live in an apartment and a plexi would likely melt the walls. I have to go in the studio where we rehearse.
    Also, the fact that turning the buff IN lowers the volume is really weird, any suggestion on this? Withe the croc switcher I was using the buffered input and sound was ok. :(

4. CraigHenson

CraigHenson Member

Hi Guys,

Got my ES-8 for Christmas and am loving it so far!! However, has anybody had issues with loops 7 and 8 not being stereo? I set them as stereo in the preference menu and have hooked up my Korg SDD 3000 with 1 input and 2 outputs and can only get one channel back to the ES-8 (Return L only). Same thing happens on both loop 7 and 8. I've checked the obvious i.e. that SDD is outputting on both output L and R and have checked the patch cables etc, have even done a factory reset but still only mono (it also has the latest firmware). I'm stumped! I've tried through the software and through the menus on the pedal and I can't figure it out. Any pointers would be appreciated!

Thanks a bunch in advance
    Craig

5. HipUncle

HipUncle Supporting Member

Have you confirmed whether the ES8 is receiving audio on both returns, i.e. if you unplug the left return, what do you hear? and when you unplug the right return?

6. CraigHenson

CraigHenson Member

Hi. Thanks for the speedy reply. If I plug a patch cable into each loop return L and R and tap the tips I only hear that reassuring ground buzz from the amp on the L returns. And both loops are definitely set to stereo return! It’s sonbizarre hence why I did the factory reset.

7. HipUncle

HipUncle Supporting Member

It's definitely a mystery, and I'm at a loss. All I can think of, short of the unit being defective is the following:

1. Is a fuse blown somewhere? (seems unlikely)
    2. Are you specifying parallel effects or spillover anywhere? I think the stere returns share mixer resources that may have been snagged elsewhere...

8. CraigHenson

CraigHenson Member

Hi HipUncle,

I'm not sure about the fuse, would have thought it would impact more than the stereo loops? There are no parallels or spills switched on as far as I can tell. After I did the factory reset all patches were wiped and then I setup loop 7 and 8 as stereo output and then switched them on individually using manual mode.

My SDD 3000 is mono send and stereo return (3 patch cables to connect it) for dual delays.

I keep looking at page 2 of the manual and these two sections describing loops 7 and 8 might be trying to tell me something..... but they're not written very clearly (for me at least!! :) ) but I think I've tried all the permutations. Is the part in red a typo?

SEND 7, RTN 7L/R jacks
    These jacks provide a mono-send stereo-return effect loop. * If the last stage of the chain is the stereo-send effect loop or the output, the signal is output in stereo. If the last effect loop in the chain is the mono-send effect loop, only the signal received at the RTN 7L jack is output. * A mono-return effect can also be connected here. Connect it to the RTN 7L jack. In this case, if a stereo-send effect loop or the output is connected later, the signal received at the RTN 7L jack is output.

SEND 8L/R, RTN 8L/R jacks
    These jacks provide a stereo-send stereo-return effect loop. * If the stereo output is connected as the last stage, the output is stereo. If the last effect loop is mono send, only the signal received at the RTN 8L jack is output. * A mono-send/return effect can also be connected here. Connect it to the SEND 8L/RTN 7L jacks. In this case, if a stereo-return effect loop or the output is connected later, the signal received at the RTN 8L jack is output.

My only other thought is to use a little mixer pedal for the SDD 3000 and use the ES-8 in mono mode.

Thanks,
    Craig

9. jjjacksonjjj

jjjacksonjjj Member

Hi. Is anyone else using a Timeline and H9, bith switched over midi and not in a loop?

I've just bought a Fryette Power Station so I can put them both in the effect loop and have taken them out of loops 7 & 8 on the ES-8. I need to update all my presets to turn on and off the pedals using PC and CC messages via the assigns. Could anyone tell me if the follwing is possible please?

1. Remove the loop engage function from 7 & 8 (I have turned them both off in the settings atm) and just use the switches for midi functions.

2. Setup switches 7 & 8 with two CC values, toggle on and off each pedal, via two assigns. I think the timeline needs CC 102 0 = off 127 = on. I don't think you can toggle PC messages on the ES-8 (which I was going to setup as PC126 = on PC127 = off), so I need to map the CC number in the H9 software - which should I use to not mess up any standard midi functions? I should also say that I would love to set this up globally, not per preset.

3. Add in the LED function for each swicth to toggle with the Midi CC sends correctly.

Once the above is setup I was hoping to turn the effects on and off using loop 7 & 8 buttons as if they were loops (to save programming the midi switching on each preset), and then if I want to use them on a preset send another PC message to select the preset.

Has anyone else felt the pain and sorted this out?

10. spod

spod Member

You could also program a basic template to Bank 00-1 on the ES8 that has the Timeline and H9 pedals bypassed. Then copy this preset to the other presets in the 00 bank and then copy that bank to the other banks. Then you just have to program the MIDI 'on' CC msg and the PC msgs you want on the presets you need. You'd still need to sort out loops 7 & 8 but this would get you part of the way there.

jjjacksonjjj likes this.
  11. Alec the Viking

Alec the Viking Supporting Member

Anyone find a way to connect to the editor wirelessly?

12. spod

spod Member

13. nnnnnn

nnnnnn Member

Yes.

I didn't see anything in your previous posts about how you're connecting to your amp and whether you've checked that the "Output Sel[ect]" parameter is set to "1&2" - if that were accidentally set to "1" that would explain why you get no output on the right.

The only other thing I can think of is to check the ES-8's "VOL" loop - it is mono, so if it is turned on and it is after the stereo loops in the patch's loop connection order then that could be the problem. (I don't actually know what the ES-8 would do if you had a patch set up like that, whether it would try to sum the stereo signal back to mono or just ignore one side, but either way it's not what you want. I also don't know whether the VOL loop's on/off state would affect the stereo signal if placed after the stereo loops, so to be safe maybe move it to before loop 7, or experiment and report back.)

HipUncle likes this.
  14. CraigHenson

CraigHenson Member

Hi All, Just a quick post as I've answered my own question! Just sharing in case anybody else hits the same problem I did!

A stereo effect connected to loop 7 or 8 will not be mixed and output to just a single output (either 1 OR 2). If you have anything plugged into the R return on either loop 7 or 8 then you must use both output 1&2 in order to hear it. Bit of a limitation if you only want to use 1 amp but at least I now know about it! Now where did I put that mini mixer? ….

Cheers,
    Craig

MoarGear likes this.
  15. bleu

bleu Member

I tried it with the Yamaha wireless adapter in place of UM-ONE and it didn't work. There'a a chance I was doing it wrong or using the wrong bridge software or something. But since the ES-8 is so picky about which adapter you use, I'd guess it's not possible.

16. Alec the Viking

Alec the Viking Supporting Member

You were using the MD/UD-BT01 Bluetooth wireless MIDI Adaptor?

17. bleu

bleu Member

Yep.

18. bermel

bermel Member

Hi! I've got a simple newbie question about the ES-8. I've already read the manual and I understand the unit is able to achieve this, but I'll ask it here anyway. Sorry if this has already been answered in the previous 80+ pages of the topic.

I think the following can be done with the mixer but, can I control the output volume of each loop or combination of parallel loops? For example, loop 1 has an overdrive pedal and loop 2 a wah and a fuzz pedal. If I engage only loop 1 it has unity gain with my clean sound. The same with loop 2, I achieve unity gain when I connect this loop alone. But what about connecting both loops simultaneously in parallel? Or in series? How could I avoid the bump in volume without an additional master volume for the output of this preset with two loops sounding at the same time?

Can the mixer control the output level of each preset, being it in parallel or series?

19. bleu

bleu Member

Only to a limited degree. You can specify whether or not to use the output buffer per patch. If it's on, you can boost the level by 2, 4, or 6 dB. So in the specific situation you describe where you would actually want to cut the level, you're unfortunately out of luck.

20. bermel

bermel Member

Thank you Bleu for your answer. I've checked the manual to confirm and it is as you said.

Oddly enough, after checking also its manual, it seems like the ES-5 is able to do what I want: the mixer can deliver
    -12 dB, -9 dB, -6 dB, -3 dB, 0 dB, +3 dB or +6 dB at the output. I'll confirm anyway in the ES-5 thread.

Lastly, couldn't a firmware update for the ES-8 resolve this issue for me?