1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

BOSS ES-8 Discussion!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JB Eckl, Jun 4, 2015.

1. w1re

w1re Member

If this exact situation has been covered previously I apologize but I've been through the es-8 manual and hopping around websites and I haven't really found a clear answer on this so I figured I might as well put it to the TGP hive mind...

Using the Boss ES-8, I would like to run a wet dry set up that would look like this:

(Output 1)
    Dry Amp - Matchless 30/15
    big muff/EQD Westwood Overdrive/Suhr Riot Distortion/Union More (Clean Boost)

(Output 2)
    Wet Amp - Swart Antares
    EQD Dispatch Master, Strymon DIG, MXR Carbon Copy, Strymon Flint reverb tremolo

I know the ES-8 has an internal mixer and some degree of signal separation functionality. But in the ES-8 can I route ALL of my distortions/OD's to Output 1 and ALL of my Delays & verb to Output 2?

I would likely put my Fulltone True Path ABY between Output 2 and my wet amp for ground lift and phase correction. Neither of my amps have effects loops so I'd be going straight into the front end in both instances. And I would only be looking use both amps at the same time always - so no need for any switching between to the two.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

2. nnnnnn

nnnnnn Member

Do you mean that the distortions/ODs should go to Output 1 only?

Or post-distortion signal split with one side going to amp 1 and the other adding delays then going to amp 2?

3. oansun

oansun Member

No offense or anything man, but this is very much in the manual

4. oansun

oansun Member

The gain increase and decrease is analog as far as i know, so a firmware issue wouldn’t be able to do this. When i moved from an es-5 to an es-8 this was an issue for me a bit

5. w1re

w1re Member

Yes I mean, Distortions/ODs should go to Output 1 only if that's possible. I've been running a single amp set up for ages and this is my first attempt at figuring out a wet/dry set up so I apologize if my post was worded in a clunky sort of manner.

6. HipUncle

HipUncle Supporting Member

Yes, the gain increase is analog, but it is digitally controlled. I would be surprised if a firmware update for the ES-8 to offer the same gain options as the ES-5 was not possible.

7. oansun

oansun Member

Idk about that man

8. HipUncle

Which do you think is more likely:

1. The op-amp takes a discrete control signal (like 0, 1, 2, or 3) that selects one of a few predetermined gains that are baked in to it, therefore changing the firmware can't give you any more gain options because they simply don't exist.
    2. The op-amp take a continuously variable signal (say, 0-100) that continuously varies the gain based on a few calibrated settings (i.e., 47 might equal 3db, 58 might be 6db, etc), therefore adding additional gain options is as simple as a firmware update to include those options in the menu, along with their associated calibrated control signal values.

Scenario 1 would require Roland to have created their own custom op-amps with limited gain choices, one model for the ES-5 and yet a different one for the ES-8. In scenario 2, Roland could use any of a number of high quality op-amps with continuously variable gain.

If scenario 1 is the case, it would mean that Roland literally went out of their way for no good reason to create a more limited functionality. Since I have more faith in Roland engineers than that, not to mention accountants telling them not to fabricate custom chips if at all possible, I'm pretty sure scenario 2 is the case.

9. bleu

bleu Member

Wow, that's nice. Wonder why they left that out of the ES-8 as it would be quite handy at times.

10. bermel

bermel Member

Thanks everyone for your answers.

I might be wrong, as l have no ES-8 unit to confirm, but it seems like already Boss, in their latest firmware update 2.01, somehow managed to solve this shortcoming adding two new patch parameters for the ES-8: Mixer Mode and Mixer Gain.

These could let you specify the gain settings at the output for both mixers in parallel connection and carryover. You can check out for yourselves with the supplementary manual online: https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/ES-8_v2_eng01_W.pdf

Couldn't someone confirm if this new update lets control the output volume when doing parallel connections?

11. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

Raise the levels of everything else to effectively let you "lower" the other(s).

Barring certain extremes this will accomplish the same thing.

bermel likes this.
  12. oansun

oansun Member

........yea ok.
    It’s been 3 years. So

13. bermel

bermel Member

You mean raising the Output Gain parameter for every preset except the parallel ones where you actually would lower it?

Well, I hadn't thought about it to be honest, my brain may be getting older...

However, it seems a bit limited to me, don't know if it would resolve every situation...

Thanks anyways for your idea!

MoarGear likes this.
  14. bermel

bermel Member

And by "lower" the parallel loops, I really mean leaving them at 0 db, of course.

15. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

Yep.

Edge cases that may exist aside, I'd bet it's the relative levels that matter most here, so just raise everything the amount of the biggest difference you're looking for but cant quite accomplish, and then back off on the ones that need to be lowered.

Do it carefully and all of the relative levels should be preserved, and unless a given level in your current state of things is hyper critical and any nuances can't be mitigated elsewhere (by turning up/down the amp volume a touch, or whatever else there is), this should work fine.

Worth a short, IMP, since it's a free option beyond your time spent.

bermel likes this.
  16. bermel

bermel Member

Thank you. I'll give a shot for sure.

I'd like nonetheless to receive some more info about those two new parameters on the last firmware update 2.01, the Mixer Mode and Mixer Gain, as I think they could fine tune the output control. I've contacted Boss with no response from them for the moment.

MoarGear likes this.
  17. HipUncle

I was addressing whether or not the change was possible, not their will do do it. If you need this function, let Roland know, they might do something about it. But discouraging people from making that request because you don't think it possible is not helping anyone.

MoarGear likes this.
  18. dodomoon78

dodomoon78 Member

question about assigns:

I currently use this configuration:
    exp pedal - exp 1 IN - assign Midi value from EXP1 to CC
    to control a line6 m5

I noticed a problem: when I use this configuration for whammy (moving the exp pedal very fast) the values sometimes are "random", as if the es8 doesn't recognize the exact position of the pedal. I've got one of the cheap exp from Thomann. If i connect this directly to M5 it acts weird, the values first go up and then go down moving the pedal forward...

question is: it is possible to assign the exp1 In (exp pedal) to trigger the virtual control pedal (inside es8) and from it control via midi the M5? if yes, how? thank you

19. :emaN

:emaN Member

I’m definitely in the same boat, very interested in wet/dry settings with Parallel chains in ES8. (Ive had unit for about a week. ) I found that using v2.01 the new “Separate” loop feature works pretty well for splitting your chains in to two amps...very solid. Just add a (+) inbetween loops in Loop Structure and you can start sending pedals L/R ez.
    My big Question is: in v2.01, where in the Menu do you access and adjust the Mixer mode and Mixer Vol. ??? I cannot get my unit to connect to Editor so am just working on the hardware unit at the moment. Any advice on where to access these new Paramaters?

bermel likes this.
  20. bermel

bermel Member

I do not have the ES-8, but I'll try to help anyway. They are patch parameters inside the category Output.

I'm interested in knowing your experience with the new parameters.