BOSS ES-8 Discussion!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JB Eckl, Jun 4, 2015.

1. dodomoon78

dodomoon78 Member

Hi! it is possible to send the bpm value of a patch in the ES8 to a korg SDD3000 pedal?
    thank you

2. rudomat

rudomat Member

hi,
    question concerning the big three looper/switcher....(G2/MkV/ES-8):

can any do the following:

in one bank have
    1. at least switches 1 and 2 switch presets,
    2. at least switch 3 switch my amp channel and
    3. the rest of the switches switch loops on/off

ah...and one more...: can the ES-8´s (for my purpose completely useless) mute switch fe. be modified to permanently switch amp channels...?

thanks a lot!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  3. GeneC

GeneC Member

Hey all. First time poster here. I recently bought both a Mobius and an ES-8 at the same time and have been having the strangest issue in regard to patch rates on the mobius. Even though I have on the Mobius turned off the Expression Pedal input, and have also turned off the MIDI Clock reception, for some reason when I send a patch change to the Mobius from the ES-8, the rate is different - faster - than the one stored on the patch in the Mobius. If I disconnect the MIDI in/out from ES-8 to Mobius, the patch comes up fine. But if the midi cable is connected, the patch on the mobius recalls with a faster speed than saved. Even if I am executing the patch recall from the Mobius itself. If I change the BPM tempo on the ES-8, nothing changes. Meaning it does not seem to be taking the BPM of the patch from the ES (as it should not since I turned the MIDI clock off). And yet, somehow the speed of the modulation is not correct. .... so, then I note that the tap tempo MIDI command on the Mobius is CC81. Could it be possible that the ES-8 is transmitting a CC81 value? If so, I cannot seem to find where in the ES-8 patch that data is stored and being sent from.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on? I am stumped!

4. nnnnnn

nnnnnn Member

In the ES-8 patch MIDI menu have you turned off the CC settings? Would need to be done in each ES patch that sends a MIDI patch change, unfortunately, because if I remember rightly these are turned on by default once you enable MIDI PC for a patch.

I'm successfully controlling my Mobius from my ES-8. I think I have MIDI clock transmission turned off in the ES.

(The only problem I had with it in the past was because I have the MIDI chained from ES to Mobius via a DD-500 and the DD was sending its own MIDI clock to the Mobius.)

5. GeneC

GeneC Member

Hi nnnnnn. Thank you for your help.

Yes, I have in fact turned off CTL1 and CTL2 CC#s in each Patch MIDI section, 1-8

Though I have turned off the MIDI Clock, the Mobius will still receive Tempo if I use the Tap Tempo function. So, though it is ignoring MIDI Clock, its still seeing Tap Tempo. I am assuming this must be how the tempo is being changed.

However I cannot find anywhere in the ES-8 manual, where it would be sending Tap Tempo automatically per patch, as if in addition to MIDI Clock. Man, I am soooo confused.

6. Phopper

Phopper Member

Is it possible to assign the output gain to a FS such as the mute switch? So when I step on the mute switch, I get a +3db boost. I had to take my boost pedal off the board and need to know if this is possible.

7. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Member

• The ES-8 scratches all the itchy points of today's discriminating artists which no other switching system has yet been able to reach.
    • Programmable switching system with eight loops (plus an additional loop)
    • Analog circuit design to protect your pure tone
    • Unprecedented routing flexibility with the ability to change the routing order and create parallel effect chains
    • Onboard memory for storing external control parameters such as delay time for each patch
    • Buffers can be turned on/off individually each for input and output and stored in each patch; level variability for output buffer
    • Highly-reliable footswitches with switch-noise mute capability
    • LCD and 7-segment LED display show detailed information at a glance
    • 800 patch memories provide unmatched capability for touring musicians
    • Completely customizable pedal function assignments
    • Scratching the itch of serious working musicians with detailed attention to often-requested features and functions
    • Version 2.00 and dedicated editor software available

cosmicevan likes this.
  8. nnnnnn

nnnnnn Member

Right, but you can't vary the order through use of assigns within a patch, can you? Assigns let you turn loops on and off (amongst other things), but if you want to change the loop order you have to switch patches.

cosmicevan likes this.
  9. Rino2

Rino2 Member

nnnnnn .... Right!!!!!!!!!!!! You can change loop order but only changing patches.......

10. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Member

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are looking for.
    From what I've read the ES8 can switch your pedal order without physically disconnecting and reconnecting the pedals.

11. nnnnnn

nnnnnn Member

The ES-8 can definitely change the pedal order without physically moving cables. In each ES-8 preset that you save, you specify the loop order as desired, and you specify which loops will be turned on. Then when you change presets it changes the order as programmed in the newly selected preset.

What the ES-8 can't do, and what the people above were asking about, is change loop order within the current preset using an "assign". "Assigns" are a feature in a number of programmable Boss products including the ES series, 500 series, GT series, etc., that let you change various parameter values within the current preset in response to some trigger - so for example you can program it so that repeatedly pressing the footswitch that selected the preset will toggle one of the loops on and off, or send a MIDI CC command, or both. Or you could have an external expression pedal send MIDI CC messages. Or you can reprogram a footswitch to trigger an assign instead of doing whatever its default function is. Each preset can have up to eight assigns, which can give a single preset a lot of extra flexibility. But changing loop order is one of the few things not possible from an assign - that is only done by selecting a different preset.

12. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Member

Gotcha.
    I was completely misunderstanding what you guys meant.
    Sorry to add to the confusion.

flatulentmatt and nnnnnn like this.
  13. GeneC

GeneC Member

Ohhh the wasted hours.......

Finally got on the phone with Strymon. Guess what? I did NOT have the latest firmware version on my Mobius (even though a page on their site I was referencing suggested that I did). Turns out the version of firmware I had - 1.34 - had a BUG! In fact, a BUG that caused the MIDI Clock to be read and responded to even when I specifically told the Mobius to ignore said MIDI Clock. Firmware update. Problems solved. Thanks for your help all, especially nnnnnnn.

nnnnnn and jacopo like this.
  14. flatulentmatt

flatulentmatt Member

I appreciate the effort at least!

15. lxm

lxm Member

Question for Chase Bliss users..... I am running out of loops so I am thinking of sharing a loop with two CB pedals.

Is the only disadvantage the inability to charge loop order? MIDI can be used to turn them on and off/recall CB presets with X saved preset on the ES-8 right?

16. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Member

Right...but changing patches is the same number of clicks as an assign. I have 2 distortion patches next to each other that are identical except the order of stacked pedals. Having them.next to each other lets me easily change patches in direct select or manual mode.

My only complaint in ES-8 is clicking out of manual mode defaults back to the original patch since I often am in manual.mode.and then want to jump patches that arent adjacent.

17. wedgehed

wedgehed Member

Yeah, I wish that changes made in manual mode would stay put when switching back to memory mode.

cosmicevan likes this.
  18. nnnnnn

nnnnnn Member

I think it is worth noting that using assigns to implement some variations can reduce the number of presets that you need, which in turn means access to a wider variety of tones from within a single bank. Not needing to change banks as often means fewer clicks.

I realise some people like to have one bank per song, and when playing a show they arrange the banks in setlist order. That's fine, everyone should work in whichever way they're most comfortable, but it's not at all how I like to do it. I don't want to be changing banks within a song, and I don't want to have to set up banks specifically for certain songs, I prefer a more generic set of presets (with assigns) that let me cover my needs for most songs in one bank.

I never use manual mode, but all of my presets have the equivalent of a sort of semi-manual mode by using assigns that let me turn certain things on and off.

FracStrat likes this.
  19. boogie02130

boogie02130 Supporting Member

I've been struggling with an issue with my ES-8. I have Channel 6 set up as my rhythm guitar preset and Channel 8 set up as a lead channel (with the 6db boost). In both 6 & 8 when I click the channel switch a second time it uses Control 1/2 to toggle the vibrato on the Magnatone amp that it sends to. The default on both channels is with the vibrato off and the setting in CTL is 1-off, 2-on. Of late the setting on Channel 6 jumps to vibrato on as the default. I've reset it and it works fine but sometimes when I come back to a second set it's then jumped back to default vibrato on. I've compared both Channel 6 & 8 and the settings are identical (except for the 6Db boost on #8)...Has anyone ideas on this problem or had something similar happen?? At this point I'm thinking Ghost in The Machine?! Thanks in advance for any shared insights you can make.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  20. flatulentmatt

flatulentmatt Member

The reason I'd like to be able switch order is mostly a workflow / functionality thing as to how I treat my gain stages. I have 3 main drive pedals (low, med, high gain) which I combine in various scenarios with a boost pedal (actually a Klone, but set to very low gain as a tone shaper and boost). I typically run the boost pre-drive, which adds a little extra oomph and EQ to whatever drive I'm running. This boost is assigned globally to FS1, so even if I have song presets in 2, 3, 4, 5 with a preset drive combo or boost set, I can toggle this on the fly. I like being able to readily access different sounds if I decide to play a passage differently (I don't like being locked in to a sound) BUT I conversely like the ease of just pushing 1 button to reconfigure my whole board, especially while singing.

Why I'd like an assign to be able to toggle loop order: I'd set this up globally, like my boost switch, to move said boost post drive. This would really pop me out in the mix for solos and the like and I could do it on the fly. So I could basically select a preset (let's say, 3) for medium gain, MIDI sends to other devices and sets delay / verb / mod and there's a nice rhythm sound. Then I can hit FS1 and engage the pre-drive boost to go to a more punchy sound for single note riffs. THEN I can hit another FS that would shift the boost post-drive, and go for the solo! And I could do this for all gain combinations. For me, that would be the perfect combo of flexibility and programmability, but unfortunately isn't quite possible.

Unless it's possible to set up a preset that keeps the same loops on from a previous preset? Or if you have the loops in a different order to what's connected on a preset and you hit manual mode, does that put the loop order back to default, or keep the preset loop order?