Boss ES-8 more than 6db lower than directly into amp

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bill patrick, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Gear Ears 4 Years

Gear Ears 4 Years Member

YIKES!
    I have an ES8. Have not had any issues, but now I am paranoid about what's going on. Hopefully it can be cured by a firmware update/reset or it's limited to a specific production run with a defective component. Maybe Roland/Boss can chime in here and keep us up to date about what's up with this.

2. James.armo

James.armo Member

I’m interested in this. I’m having problems. Have done for months. Lost volume. Tried factory reset. Removed all loops etc my ES8 is still sucking volume. Remove it and go direct to amp. Everything fine. Any ideas on how this can be sorted ? Cheers James.

3. joelster

joelster Silver Supporting Member

There's something curious about this thread...

4. James.armo

James.armo Member

What ?

5. teethgrinder

teethgrinder Member

My ES-8 has failed too. Volume drop outs and footswitches 5 & 6 malfunctioning. Bought it second hand less than two years old. Boss not interested, so now facing a large bill.

Loads of people having the same issues. Boss refuse to accept there is an issue with this unit's reliability.

6. Heraclitus

Heraclitus Member

Jeepers! Mine is running ok but now I'm freakin' terrified.

7. IPV

IPV Member

Bought my ES-8 years ago brand new. The volume drop thing just happened to mine. It's @ 12dB lower than straight into amp. Spent a few hours troubleshooting all cables, removed all pedals, etc... and the issue lies within the ES-8.

Just spoke with Roland Support and they suggested that I need to be using the pws that is included with the unit. They also suggested a factory reset, which I did. Did nothing.

They casually said if it's a manufacturer issue, they will typically fix at no charge.

8. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Member

So what’s the secret to getting this fixed? Has anyone gone through the process? Who do you reach out to? What’s the time frame like? Any costs?

I have noticed that I had significant volume drop when running through my board but assumed it was tone suck due to a zillion pedals, but today I was re-doing my board and set up just a few pedals w the ES-8 to work on MIDI programming and the audio is SIGNIFICANTLY lower. I pinned it down to being the ES-8.

I had added a really strong boost at the end of my chain in the past to compensate and I can do the same now, but would be good to have this fixed and not have to bandaid the problem.

Not Orange likes this.
  9. dantahoua

dantahoua Supporting Member

One of the loop start failing on me yesterday too! (Number 4). I used this Es-8 for 3 years without problem, should last at least 10 years in my opinion, it's a guitar pedal!!! Boss should recognize there is a problem here, when all your units fail the same way. At least they should repair it at lower cost.
    I'm in Canada, anyone know about the repair cost? This switcher is my main center piece... I'm starting looking for alternative (strereo, 4CM, Midi, small), the only one I found right now is the MusicomLab MK5...

10. weyllandin

weyllandin Member

My ES-8 is the centerpiece of my planned studio board. I'm worried now. I hope it survives.

11. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Well i was going to go with the ES8 but now im thinking it's not a good idea

12. dantahoua

dantahoua Supporting Member

Good news guys, this was a false alarm! 3 factors! My new cable was defective, the replacement also!!! and the connector in the Es-8 was kind of dirt, probably caused by the high humidity content of the rehearsal local...
    So now everything is back to normal! Sorry to have started a false alarm...

GaryMcT likes this.