Boss ES-8 Question: Adding Extra Loops

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
I've been trying to think of ways to effectively use the ES-8 to control an extra loop or two before or after the main ES--8 itself. While the 8 ES-8 loops can have their order juggled, can be series or parallel, and can have buffers feeding them, I'm not looking for this in the extra pre or post loops. Just on/off control.

For pre, it would be great to have a wah or fuzz controlled per patch without dedicating one of the ES-8 loops. For post, same goes for reverb. I'd like the ES-8 to simply turn it on or off per patch.

Can I do such a thing with the ES-8 control outs? I'm thinking that, in theory, it should be possible with something like either the Gig Rig Remote Loopy 2 or maybe the Champion Pedals TGC-2. But I have no real idea if that's true or not. If possible, it seems that MIDI wouldn't even be involved.

Are there other ways to do this? Other remote controlled switchers?

Black_Label

The easy way is with midi. If you have a pedal that is midi capable like a Big Sky, you can just send a PC message per patch to turn it on/off. For a pedal to be controlled from the ctrl port, it would need a 1/4" jack that could turn it on/off like an amp's footswitch. I don't think I've seen that on a pedal, but it's possible for someone to custom build you a 2-switch looper that could do it with a trs insert.

I'd like to see Boss release a 3 or 4 loop add-on switcher that connects to the ES-8 via midi and acts as a loop expander to turn it into an 11 or 12 loop switcher.

mr_william

i think there's two ways of doing this, using the different topologies available.

you can approach it by using either the latching foot switches or midi.

latching foot switches, you could use a gigrig remote loopy 2 or other similar product.

nobels make a loop master; not sure how difficult this would be to get a hold of - there's probably better solutions out there though.

using midi, Glab make a loop expander, either 2 or 4 loops.

again, i'm sure others make something of this nature.

edit, yep... decibel 11 also make a 4 loop expander

Last edited:

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
So, there appear to be MIDI and non-MIDI ways to do this. Cool!

I guess the examples shown above are all MIDI.

Will the non-MIDI way work with that Gig Rig or Champion switcher?

PFDarkside

Has anyone added multiple Loop expanders to their ES-8? It seems as though the Decibel 11 can only be configured to recognize PC or CC, not both. I'm curious how others are setting it up.

Trending Topics