Boss Feedbacker

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by CA$H FLOW, Feb 2, 2012.

1. CA$H FLOW

CA$H FLOW Member

Anyone get a chance to sit down with this new pedal and really try it out. It seems like an amazingly cool idea having controllable feedback at more reasonable volume levels.
    Not too many good videos or reviews on it that I can find. If you tried it what did you think ?

2. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

I assume you're referring to the new Feedbacker, and not the old Super Feedbacker and Distortion, right? If so I'm also curious about it. Mainly I wonder how different the feedback function is than the old one, which seemed like a tunable oscillator almost.

I think a local store got one in, maybe I'll give it a whirl. It seems like 'controllable feedback' would be hard to implement in a realistic or useful way.

3. CA$H FLOW

CA$H FLOW Member

I believe on of the review I read stated that it was much more realistic and useful compared to the old version. If you try it out please post in this thread and let me know what you thought of it ? I'm seriously tempted to purchase it but I haven't always had the best luck with boss pedals!

4. in_sherman

in_sherman Member

5. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

If I have time, I'm gonna go to the store tomorrow, because I wanted to try out the Boss pitch shifters anyway. I never had any 'luck' with Boss stuff until last year, but now I really appreciate some of their designs. I'm skeptical of the feedback function though, which is mainly why I want to try it out. I'll let you know if I play it.

6. ChaseTMP

ChaseTMP Member

I'm curious, as well. One of my old favorite band's guitarist, Adam Franklin, from Swervedriver, used the old Super Feedbacker, back in the early to mid 1990's. The few times I tried them, I thought they sounded awful, but though they were pretty cool in theory. Hopefully, the new version has a more natural sounding feedback.

7. musica23

musica23 Supporting Member

Wow, I hope so. I've got the old version and, while it's fun, it's not always very useful.

Another interest bump, though it's not FUZZ. :omg

8. CA$H FLOW

CA$H FLOW Member

9. brain21

brain21 Member

I'd like to know too. I have the old MIJ original Super Distortion Feedbacker. One of the cool things about it was that you could adjust the feedback overtones with a knob. I HOPE that you can do that with this one too. The bad thing about the old one was that you had to have the distortion on to use it, and the distortion blew. I wish they would make one that a) had an on/off switch, not momentary b) would trail off naturally (not cut off suddenly) when you turned it off c) Could work with chords d) Had an expression pedal input for the overtone knob. Getting one of these pedals and then having to spend like $75 on a TIP 3rd Hand to control the overtone knob (or whatever it was called) is kinda annoying.

My SD&F has almost none of those. Doesn't really work with chords, etc. I got one of the Line6 pedals (don't remember which one) that has a sustain forever kinda thing going on where you can turn on the higher octave to make it sound more feedbacky, but you can't sweep through it, and it doesn't work on chords. The nice thing is that it resets when you hit another note, does so naturally, and then starts again.

A better solution (for now) is my pigtronix ASDR pedal along with some sort of whammy. The ASDR can swell nicely from regular volume to a boosted one which simulates a bit of feedback w/ no overtones. then you use a whammy to sweep from unison to the upper octaves and back. Throw a nice sustaining compressor in front and you are ready to go.

10. Fitzer

Fitzer Member

The main issue with the old one was that when you released the latch, the feedback stopped immediately and didn't fade out. It made it very unnatural. I'm curious as to whether they addressed this with the new one or not.

11. pedalboy88

pedalboy88 Member

It is frustrating that the video demos seem to focus on the boost function which seems fairly obvious. The feedbacker element seems really interesting, keen to hear more.

12. CA$H FLOW

CA$H FLOW Member

That fact alone makes me wonder whether the feedbacker function isn't kind of lackluster or has major flaws like the previous version did.
    I've seen product reviews in the past that glossed over the problematic points; likely due to the fact that they are being paid to review said product. It definitely wouldn't be the first time this has happened!
    Anyways.... has anyone here tried this pedal yet ?

13. pedalboy88

pedalboy88 Member

The review on amazon says that you need to use the feedback and boost together. Once you release the feedback the boost stays on. Setting the boost flat with minimal boost should solve this hopefully, but easier to try. They are not in stores near me (New Zealand) but should be coming in soon.

14. Brian Johnston

Brian Johnston Member

I have the Boss GT-Pro... likely the old version is in it (?)... if you listen to the intro of this song, I use the effect...

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1517143

It's OK... but I find it sounds harsh and it's difficult to control the effect (to have feedback at varing degrees without use of a foot pedal, etc.). I find the Vibesware GR-1 far superior as you can control the feedback by your positioning. However, this Feedbacker (Boss) does sound more intense, which is good when you need that characteristic.

15. brain21

brain21 Member

If I knew anything about electronics I'd just fix the inherent issues with my $7 Walco Note and Chord Sustainer and rehouse that thing. When it works, its a chaotic thing of beauty. :D WHEN it works!

16. timmy2tone

timmy2tone Member

It seems the concept is a good idea! I've gone through TS pedals, EQ pedals and considered fixed wahs to find the one solo boost for all my gain stages. I need a boost in volume, tone control and a way to sculp the mids! This seems to have it! As long as the Feedbacker can be set light to have that "controlled sustain" thing it could be good. I just hate dumping $119 on a hunch! Anyone?