Boss FS-5U on a pedalboard- Rubber wont stick to the velcro for long

JasonAz

How can I mount this thing? Is there some sort of glue I should put under the pedal before I stick the velcro strip on? Also, yes Ive heard about dual lock' but I dont want to rip off the built on fuzzy velro on my custom board....unless the rough part of dual lock will lock to regular fuzzy velcro.
thanks

TheGuildedAge

They are a pain and if I recall, you can't just remove the rubber on those like a regular Boss.

I actually used straight up glue on mine, glued the velcro right to the rubber and let it dry. I am sure someone here will tell you a less permanent way that works well.

JasonAz

well its less about the quality of the velcro. More about how the opposite side, the sticky tape sticks to the rubber

crambone

I used to have this problem. Drove me nuts and no matter what kind of Velcro I used it wouldn't stick.

My solution? I bought a Loop-Master tap. Problem solved!

rte1023

If you can get some sheet metal cut and and drill in holes where the screws sit perhaps you can add it to the base, so the screws hold all of it. They wouldn't thread the thickness of the sheet metal but it could work.

Or if you're gonna glue I'd go with 2 part clear epoxy. You wouldn't need that much so it wouldn't make the pedal unsellable and it should bond to the rubber. Avoid gorilla glue as it expands.

DaveKS

well its less about the quality of the velcro. More about how the opposite side, the sticky tape sticks to the rubber
Sheet metal, couple strips top n bottom where you need Velcro to stick, then used 2 part epoxy, rough up both the back side of sheet metal and the area that their going to stick to the rubber using some really rough grit sandpaper, let them cure overnight and you'll have two nice plates to stick your Velcro to.

downburst82

I have had the exact same issue before...I wound up just crazy gluing the Velcro on. As already mentioned maybe not the best way but it works.

JasonAz

thanks. I think ill just try apoxy first with the normal velcro. Cutting metal and stuff seems a bit too much for me. i also have some superglue around, is that good too?

Barnzy

Silver Supporting Member
I used a FS-5U for years on a cheap SKB pedalboard and velcro never stuck. My suggestion to you is to get some "medium duty" cable ties and make a harness that straps it down to your pedaltrain. But the real fix is to upgrade to a loopmaster or similar.

JasonAz

I used a FS-5U for years on a cheap SKB pedalboard and velcro never stuck. My suggestion to you is to get some "medium duty" cable ties and make a harness that straps it down to your pedaltrain. But the real fix is to upgrade to a loopmaster or similar.
I would but I dont have a board with spaces like pedaltrain.

bluenova

I used to have this problem. Drove me nuts and no matter what kind of Velcro I used it wouldn't stick.

My solution? I bought a Loop-Master tap. Problem solved![
Man, those Boss switches are huge space wasters. I also got a Loop-Master tap with dual outputs. Problem solved!

JasonAz

I just use it for my keyboard as a sustain pedal but it sits on my guitar pedalboard because I use both at once

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
Go to a hardware store and not one of the big stores like HD or Lowes. You want to look for "GE Household Glue". It is silicon glue so it will hold but does harden. Just apply to the bottom of the foot switch and apply on the board (smooth surface type boards only). Press and twist to adhere and allow to set a full 36 to 48 hours before use to firm up the silicon. The hold is excellent and if you decide to remove it, you twist and pull. Because it is silicon based, it will clean up easily just by pealing it off the surface.

JasonAz

I dont have a smooth type surface board. Its just a big fuzzy side of the velcro surface. perhaps i can use it between the pedal and the velcro strip though

Trending Topics