• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Boss FV-500: L or H?

ZepFuzz05

I will be running it after a buffered pedal. . .so which version should I get? Apart from being mono vs. stereo, what are the differences?

GAD

Wubbalubbadubdub
Gold Supporting Member
What do you need it for? Volume? Expression for another pedal?

IIRC both have expression jacks, but the L is low impedance (25K) and the H is high impedance (250k).

ZepFuzz05

What do you need it for? Volume? Expression for another pedal?

IIRC both have expression jacks, but the L is low impedance (25K) and the H is high impedance (250k).
Using it for volume purposes. Are those measurements for the input impedance?

Goldwing

I've used the L version in the loop of my amp, after modulation (buffered pedals) in front of my amp and also after distortions (true bypass) in front of my amp. The best results came from the first 2 configurations. I guess that the buffered pedals has something to do with this. After the distortions it takes away some highs...

Floor

If you want it for volume without changes in gain, put the "L" version after your drive pedals, if you use the "H" version for this you can experience high end loss (like with you guitar volume knob). If you want it first in the chain you should get the H version, however this will change the amount of gain.

zachman

Using it for volume purposes. Are those measurements for the input impedance?
Then use the FV500L in the Series fx loop of your amp. This will affect your volume without affecting your gain, like your volume knob on your guitar will.

ZepFuzz05

Then use the FV500L in the Series fx loop of your amp. This will affect your volume without affecting your gain, like your volume knob on your guitar will.
Old tube amp user here. It doesn't even have a mid or gain control, let alone an FX loop. I'm planning to put together a board that looks like this.

Danelectro "French Toast" Octave Fuzz
Boss FV-500
Electro Harmonix "Holy Grail" Nano

I read in another thread that the high impedance version should always be used with guitar regardless of placement and buffers present, but I figure just in case it will have the Danelectro buffer preceding it.

ZepFuzz05

The 250K ("passive" or "H") model will work both first in line and after buffered pedals or with active pickups. The 25K ("active" or "L") model will only work properly with low impedance ("buffered/active") signals, so don't get that one unless you are sure it will work with your particular setup, and that you will never want to move it around or try it first in line. . .for almost all guitarists, the 250K version is the one to use.

I just found that quote from Stinkfoot, and that pretty much solves my question, except for one last thought :

Is there any benefit to using the low impedance (25K) model after buffers as opposed to the high impedance (250K) model? Like the past few posts, why would some prefer or suggest the low impedance over the high impedance version when the latter is suitable for all uses?

LouRossi

Regardless.... You are going to lose some high end 'sparkle' of your guitar. Even the 'L' after your drives.

zachman

Old tube amp user here. It doesn't even have a mid or gain control, let alone an FX loop. I'm planning to put together a board that looks like this.

Danelectro "French Toast" Octave Fuzz
Boss FV-500
Electro Harmonix "Holy Grail" Nano

I read in another thread that the high impedance version should always be used with guitar regardless of placement and buffers present, but I figure just in case it will have the Danelectro buffer preceding it.
Use the H

hipfan

I've only liked low impedance volume pedals in a line-level (i.e., hot) effects loop, fwiw. I didn't like it at instrument level, even after a buffer. I'd go with the H to start with if I were you.

Top Bottom