Boss GE-7 EQ Died, Considering Others for FX Loop Boost

rolsen

GE-7 gave up the ghost. I use it in my fx loop for a solo/volume boost. I'd usually shave off some bass and slightly boost some mids, then boost the volume slider. This thing was always noisy and I suppose now is my chance to re-consider a solo boost. Anybody have any recommendations, especially if you swapped the GE-7 to something else? I'm looking at the TC Electronic Spark - bass/treble knobs rather than parametric eq but that will probably work just fine for me. The MXR 10-band is too big, and the smaller 6 band has no volume fader.

Secondary question - I have an Earthquaker Ghost Echo reverb pedal in the loop, always on. Though this pedal is true bypass, if it is always on does it always provide a buffered benefit? My fx loop cabling is 40' round trip (20' send, pedals, 20' return). Until now, the GE-7 was the only buffered pedal (I have 2 analog delays, the reverb and the GE-7 in the loop). Should I be looking at a eq/clean booster with a buffer or does the always-on reverb do that job?

to replace the Boss GE-7, definitely go with MXR 10-band, or the KK version with dual outputs. either that, or have your GE-7 modded (sniper mod, or JHS).

GLinks

Silver Supporting Member
Close to the Spark would be EQD's Tone Job. The Ghost Echo is only TB, I think. No buffer.

If you want a boost with a great buffer as well, Mad Professor Ruby Red Booster, but I would probably have that one with the dirt.

The MXR 10-band is a good unit, but it, too, is a bit noisy. It also doesn't exactly duplicate the governed frequencies of your GE-7. For something that does both, and also costs much less than either, consider the Danelectro Fish n' Chips.

RambleFX

Yes, your reverb pedal should provide a low output impedance like a buffer does. If it's always on, you shouldn't need a buffer.

GLinks

Silver Supporting Member
I'm ignorant and told myself buffered benefit meant something other than the obvious. Thanks for correcting.

rolsen

Yes, your reverb pedal should provide a low output impedance like a buffer does. If it's always on, you shouldn't need a buffer.
Sweet... That's what I thought but wasn't sure! I'll think I'll try a Spark in the loop, replacing the dead GE-7.

Trending Topics