1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Boss GE-7 mod or other non hissing EQ pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 6789, Feb 14, 2009.

1. 6789

6789 Member

There used to be the sniper mod. looks like the guy making it went out of business or stopped.

I just want a mod to get rid of the hiss. I don't need to change the sound, just reduce the hiss.

Or, are there any other non-hissing EQ pedals?

Graphic EQ wold be my first choice, but if I have to go to a knob pedal maybe I'll do it. RIght now I just need to boost the low end a little.

2. Woozy

Woozy Member

3. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

Danelectro Fish and Chips. Sell your boss, pocket some money, have a great new pedal. Seriously,

TG

NortheastHick likes this.
  4. zaraflux

zaraflux Member

The para eq from empress looks bad ass any one try one?

5. shaggs

shaggs Member

Monte Allum mods mentioned above are really good mods and cheap as in you can do it your self. Even more with his mods instead spending $20 on his full kit you are able to just buy the instruction sheet from him for $10 and buy all the parts yourself for just a couple dollars. many options and all quality mods.

6. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    stahlhart likes this.
  7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Brian Wampler has the mods, can buy and he sends the kit if you are okay with soldering (this is what I did) or send to him.

Main thing though, there are some cap swapping etc, but the real, #1, most important part of the mod is to trade out the stock Op-amps with quieter ones...that does 99% of the difference, the chips Boss uses are noisy.

(I hear good things about the MXR 10 band)

8. 6789

6789 Member

Thanks! :eek: I read this post and bought the Fish & Chips. It has just as much hiss as the Boss pedal! I hope Best Buy takes a return.:barf

9. shaggs

shaggs Member

Brian is a great guy with great mods also.

10. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

Mine has absolutely NO hiss and I've never heard anyone else complain about a hiss problem. How do you have the eq set, how is it powered, where are you running it?

TG

11. 6789

6789 Member

guitar > fish & chips > amp

powered with a pedal power 2

It hisses even when the sliders are set to flat. the hiss sounds like the same amount as the Boss.

The Boss is quiet when set to flat, but generates hiss as soon as one of the sliders is moved up or down.

The hiss is audible without even playing the guitar. just having it plugged in and turned on is all it needs to make his for me.

12. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

Weird. Mine doesn't do that at all and nobody else has ever posted a similar problem. You either got a bum one or something else is going on.

TG

13. zaraflux

zaraflux Member

If your going in the front of the amp and it is breaking up or even in front of distortion/high gain overdrives most of theese are going to hiss however the modded ge7's are pretty quiet when set flat and used as a volume boost but as soon as you move one of the sliders the hiss shows up.Ive modded three Ge7's w/wampler mods and they have all done this in my rig and a few others.There should be no hiss or noise when clean if there is run the pedal into the amp by itself if no noise then one by one add the rest of them in it may just be noisy when used with certain pedals

14. Zero

Zero Member

I'm sure the Dano F&C is quiet into cleans or clean amps but just as the GE-7 it will hiss into drive channels. I doubt the guy "got a bum one." That's the stock response when someone hears a negative difference that you don't. Our bassist has the F&C, I'm going to borrow it & check it out against the Ge7 into gain.

I have a Sniper GE7 and it does help but it is not silent. I use pretty high amounts of gain sometimes and it does still hiss a bit but not nearly as bad.

15. Woozy

Woozy Member

Right, I've had my GE-7 for probably ten years, but after about the first month, never really used it again.
    For audio, I lean towards parametric EQs and for guitar, haven't ever really used effects pedals.

Before ordering the Empress ParaEQ, I revisited my old, dusty GE-7.
    When on and flat, it does add a bit of treble, but you have to use part of the tone-shaping-tool to dial out the tone-shaping-tool.
    Into an overdriven amp, much of the treble has to be curved down to prevent the hiss of EQ.

Since I've got the ParaEQ coming, I'll let you guys know if the Empress impresses...

16. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I think you got lucky, or happen to have the right amp for it or something...after I bought mine, I noticed it right away on first use. Went back to the music store, the salesguy was amazed too at the amount of hiss, and went in the back, we tried all they had (I think it was 3 or 4) and every single one had it.

You don't think people came up with a mod to sell for something that isn't a problem, really?

I did the mod, as I say the chips (when did you buy yours?) they use are known noisy, and as reported ANY fader turned up or down, including just the output volume causes it to happen. It isn't a case of someone boosting the freqs. that hold "white noise" or anything.

The mod worked so well, I bought a used one off the net, and when I got it, it hisssed as well. I'm in the process of buying the mod again from Wampler.

Just to mention it, I am not someone that cannot tolerate the least little noise, I'm not exactly picky, but all of the ones I've tried (5 or 6) were SO noisy that they were unusable for me til I modded it.
    Actually a lot of people have experienced the same as well.

17. 6789

6789 Member

O.K. thanks. :D

I am running it into an overdriving amp. but the hiss appears without even playing the guitar. Even with the sliders set to flat, the fish and chips is Hissing. it's loud enough to be annoying. I could tolerate it for home use, but not for gigging.

I'm horrible at soldering and the connections inside the boss are so tiny I know I'd mess it up. So, I'll either have to get modded Boss or the empress. I wonder if the empress hisses?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  18. EpicEsquire

EpicEsquire Member

Any update on whether the Empress ParaEQ is noisy or adds hiss?

19. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

It's been 9 years. Probably doesn't have it anymore. :D

EpicEsquire likes this.
  20. EpicEsquire

EpicEsquire Member

I see what you did there

Auditory Driving likes this.