Boss GE7 eq pedal, which sliders to manipulate to add warmth to a clean tone ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Telejester, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Telejester

Telejester Member

Just unsure which frequencies to adjust to add some warmth and reduce some high end glare. Anyone who uses a ge7 I would appreciate some advice regarding the frequencies I should be paying closest attention to.

2. Big in Japan

Big in Japan Member

What guitar and amp are you using?

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  3. tonedover

tonedover Supporting Member

mids or low mids for most amps i imagine.
    and it shouldnt take much movement on the sliders. the amps tone controls do the heavy lifting and eq should be fine adjustments

i wouldnt try to overcome treble by adding the bass slider. maybe a small lowering of the furthest treble slider

also many amps sound dramatically different at different volumes, so what may sound like tinny treble at low volume becomes pleasant part of the gain structure when the amp turned half or all the way up

some amps just have a “cool” or sterile clean which is great for some applications and players. others want more warmth

4. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Member

the ones on the left side.

5. annostyle

annostyle Member

The GE7 is pretty powerful and is a total secret weapon for any guitarist. What I used to do was to bump slider (from left to right) 1, 4, 7, up just a little. And also bump the level up a little too. Gives a great boost and jump to the overall tone.

6. Alchemy Audio

Alchemy Audio Silver Supporting Member

Often times, it's better to begin by cutting frequencies than boosting any. Give it a try and trust your ears.

Not Orange, rwijaya, Bopcat and 4 others like this.
  7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Another trick I used to use also in home recording but works here too and fits in with cutting frequencies.

It's a LOT easier to hear frequencies you don't like. So best is to play something, boost each slider (just remember though something "harsh" sounding may be what is needed for cut, just not as much of it) one by one, if you just react that it doesn't sound good, take it back down a little under 0...move to the next.

This won't probably get you the whole way, but from there on in, if you also just bump the NICE frequencies a little above 0, look at the pattern, and start tweaking, listening, put back if it didn't do what you wanted.

It's a lot of trial and error.

With home recording sometimes I would do this, search by boosting some freq. and hear it is muddy or to tinny, etc. and then once identified, cut it some and suddenly it would help the whole mix.

8. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Member

I’d just tune the guitar to an open A or something and strum or pick out a pattern with your picking hand and move around sliders with your other hand until you find what you’re looking for.

As others have said, cutting is usually preferable to boosting frequencies with an EQ pedal, as it tends to generate less noise.

On that note, some GE-7s add a fair bit of noise to the chain and others seem generally quieter (probably depends on the components used in a given batch). If you have a noisy one, there are mods online that can help. I did the Monte Allums mod on mine, and it was much quieter afterward.

Edited to add That Pedal Show had an episode on how best to employ an EQ pedal. As I recall, they used a GE-7 too.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    pickaguitar and rwijaya like this.
  9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Now that you mention it, I had two many years ago, one super noisy the other not bad.
    There was a mod and if I recall it was like a cap, resistor, and replace a chip,that was socketed.

Think it was BYOC (build your own clone) easy mod, worked well.

SweetClyde99 likes this.
  10. GreatSatan

GreatSatan Member

you want a parametric eq with a sweepable freq band for the mids and a seperate lows knob;

that 'warmth' you're after comes from raising a low shelf by turning up the bass and lowest setting on the mids freq than any single (fairly sharp q) on a graphic eq, which tend to introduce a crossover/phase issues with every band (whereas a simpler treb/mids/bass para-eq minimizes this).

You could do something similar by raising the bottom three sliders or so, but i've never cared for the heavy-handed/static approach to fixed band graphic eq's.

Not Orange likes this.