• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

boss gt-1 beat out atomic amplifire (kind of)

sneaker-bud

before i start, yes, the amplifire sounds better. a little. maybe more than a little.

wanted a small floor modeler for headphone practice and very occasional fly gigs (does fly gig really mean fly?) 1st i got a digitech rp360. sounded good through computer speakers but tinny through headphones (yes, it was set to headphones in SYSTEM). i think it wasn't strong enough to drive cans (or maybe it was user error). it's a shame. i like how it sounds through speakers.

then i got an atomic amplifire. was stoked. plugged in a guitar & headphones. it was the best sounding modeller i've heard BUT... it wasn't magical. sure that's not fair. but with all the hype, all the comparisons to axefx (which i've never played), i thought it would be magical. but no. it sounded like i was playing through headphones (ATH M50). i guess in 2016, you still need a tube amp pushing air for "magic."

today i received the boss gt-1. and there it was. 95% of the enjoyment the atomic gave me. pretty good for $170. was it 95% of the tones? maybe. i didn't A/B them. didn't need to. decision was made. sure, the atomic, i recall is smoother and slightly richer. but with the boss, i didn't mind that i sounded like i was playing through headphones, whereas w/ the atomic, i did mind. why? i don't know. money's not really an issue. maybe i'm punishing the atomic for not meeting unfair expectations & rewarding the boss for exceeding low expectations.

post script: the rp360 modulations & delays KILL both the atomic & the boss. very 3 dimensional. if i was keeping the atomic, i'd keep the digitech to put through the fx loop. maybe i'll still keep it just for the effects anyhow.

I can fully understand this outcome. I have a 11R and a GT-1, and while the 11R has technically superior tones, the form of the GT-1 is just so convenient and the value for money is outstanding. Plus it has some extra effects.

Also I would agree that the GT-1 was superior to the RP360. I had an RP360XP, and while the clean tones were pretty good (possibly better than the GT-1), I couldn't get the higher gain stuff to behave itself. For some reason I think my RP1000 sounded better than the 360...doesn't make sense, but then why does a GT-1 sound better than a GT-100?

AnalogNerd

Are you using the GT-1 factory patches, or rolling your own? I've been using some of the blues tones ("King of Blues?") through headphones and once I pull back on the delay and reverb it sounds great.

Loaded some of the free live sets from Boss Tone Central too; have to try doing my own next. Very very versatile and easy to use! Love it.

Are you using the GT-1 factory patches, or rolling your own? I've been using some of the blues tones ("King of Blues?") through headphones and once I pull back on the delay and reverb it sounds great.

Loaded some of the free live sets from Boss Tone Central too; have to try doing my own next. Very very versatile and easy to use! Love it.
I generally make my own patches. No highish gain factory patch I've ever used on any modeller has had any merit.

Suggest checking out zoom G5n

You will be blown away by the punch, rumble and sustain
...as long as you don't hit the DSP limit, right?

But seriously, I'd be keen to hear one. Unfortunately there are none for sale my city; GT-1s are available everywhere.

Garhel

I'm using the Gt-1 in the loop of my Amplifire, just for effects, and it's working out great. When I first got the GT I was really disappointed with the Amp modelling, just seemed like something was missing, and it lacked clarity and richness. But I wanted just a handful of full modelled patches that I could use if the Amplifire had a problem, so set about making clean, crunch, rhythm and lead patches from scratch. I think this is definitely the key, and ended up quite pleased with what I got, definitely improves the clarity and bite, and goes some way to getting rid of the wooliness of a lot of the factory presets.
Being honest, it is still some way off the quality of the Amplifire tones, in sound and feel, but it is definitely good enough to gig with if needed, and the effects are great. For the price it's almost a no-brainier.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
If I had to use headphones all the time; I don't know if I'd even play guitar. As sad as that probably sounds. Even with Kemper space (which is awesome) I just don't dig headphone jamming. I still need volume :drink

eman22

Zoom G5n and dsp limit

I haven't run into an issue. I don't use a lot of fx at one time.

The limit can get hit with too many fx......it's a product of the detail in the amp and cab sims, so I'm easily willing to trade a little loss of flexibility ( which I've been able to work around) in exchange for the tone......particularity at this price point.

I had amplifire and frankly like the amp and cabs og G5n better. Also zoom does have many more fx!

Just my opinion.

phil_m

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Gold Supporting Member
If I had to use headphones all the time; I don't know if I'd even play guitar. As sad as that probably sounds. Even with Kemper space (which is awesome) I just don't dig headphone jamming. I still need volume :drink
I'm pretty much with you on that... I really hate using headphones to play. I actually would rather hear myself through my studio monitors at conversation volume levels than through headphones.

It's funny to me because there's been a few times when I was trying to be quiet and not disturb my my wife, and still got irritated with me because I couldn't hear when she was trying to get my attention... Sometimes you just can't win. :D

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
It's funny @phil_m ; we (me at least) get into modeling to cut down on gear and stage volume yet I am still bringing loud gear and cranking it. It's just in a different form factor than before :hide

Madmax25

Funny, I love playing with headphones. All my band rehearsals are through headphones. It's eliminated all those volume wars we used to have and not being able to hear one another or even yourself.

Maybe it's because I've more or less grown up with headphone guitar playing that I like it.

All that withstanding, I love when I occasionally get the opportunity to play through my tube amp (we don't play out very often anymore...) - whole other level of dynamic feel compared to headphones, I'll give you that!

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
Funny, I love playing with headphones. All my band rehearsals are through headphones. It's eliminated all those volume wars we used to have and not being able to hear one another or even yourself.

Maybe it's because I've more or less grown up with headphone guitar playing that I like it.

All that withstanding, I love when I occasionally get the opportunity to play through my tube amp (we don't play out very often anymore...) - whole other level of dynamic feel compared to headphones, I'll give you that!
The band I've been in for the last 5+ years has been excellent in the fact that we aren't doing volume war bs. It is soooo much more fun to be at practice and hear each other than it is to have some sort of p!ssing contest where you end up with a headache 15 minutes into practice every time.

sneaker-bud

i'm a night owl in a nyc apt. those are exactly my choices. headphones or quit playing guitar.

but on the weekends, i do use the egnater tweaker for tube tones. sounds great at low volumes.

sneaker-bud

I'm pretty much with you on that... I really hate using headphones to play. I actually would rather hear myself through my studio monitors at conversation volume levels than through headphones.

It's funny to me because there's been a few times when I was trying to be quiet and not disturb my my wife, and still got irritated with me because I couldn't hear when she was trying to get my attention... Sometimes you just can't win. :D
they need to add the line "the husband will not win" to wedding vows. mercifully squash unrealistic expectations from the start.

sneaker-bud

hearing the steve lukather, matias & jack (i don't want to butcher people's last names) patches on the website assured me that if i couldn't get it to work, i could at least download these presets.

but when i got the gt-1, it was really easy to dial in. i still might download the patches & refine them for myself.

the thing i love about the gt-1 is i was tweaking a lot less than the amplifire. the amplifire teases you into thinking you can just keep getting a little more tone so you keep tweaking but you're just getting different, not better. but with the boss, you dial in something good & just play.

sneaker-bud

Suggest checking out zoom G5n

You will be blown away by the punch, rumble and sustain
had a zoom ms-50. sounded good. didn't love it. got rid of it because it didn't have headphone outs. i understand that the zoom compact pedals don't sound different from G series.

sneaker-bud

I'm using the Gt-1 in the loop of my Amplifire, just for effects, and it's working out great. When I first got the GT I was really disappointed with the Amp modelling, just seemed like something was missing, and it lacked clarity and richness. But I wanted just a handful of full modelled patches that I could use if the Amplifire had a problem, so set about making clean, crunch, rhythm and lead patches from scratch. I think this is definitely the key, and ended up quite pleased with what I got, definitely improves the clarity and bite, and goes some way to getting rid of the wooliness of a lot of the factory presets.
Being honest, it is still some way off the quality of the Amplifire tones, in sound and feel, but it is definitely good enough to gig with if needed, and the effects are great. For the price it's almost a no-brainier.
yeah the atomic is really refined. if i ever do "serious" recording, i might go back to an atomic. but the most important thing for me for a modeler is to sound good enough that i want to practice & the boss does that.

synthetica

I have a GT1 and while it sounds great (I've had a Gt-100, Gt10, GT-001 in the past) and while Im fond of the Boss sounds I was starting to find something is missing in the amp modeling department just a little that I can't explain. I though id try something else and I have an Atomic Ampliflire scheduled to arrive today, and the idea of using the GT1 in the effects loop of the Amplifire is intriguing. thanks for the suggestion!!!

Edit: I also have a couple of H9's which may end up instead in the FX loop, and the end of the chain of the Amplifire and the GT-1 may be relegated to in bed Headphone practice. So nice to have options.

Last edited:

Madmax25

The band I've been in for the last 5+ years has been excellent in the fact that we aren't doing volume war bs. It is soooo much more fun to be at practice and hear each other than it is to have some sort of p!ssing contest where you end up with a headache 15 minutes into practice every time.
Agreed, but it's not really about pissing contests or 'more me'. It's the fact that no one could ever really hear both them selves and their band mates at the same time, so they would turn up their volume/hit harder on the drums etc. It probably has a lot to do with the ****** rehearsal spaces we've been in over the years.

But since we got a JamHub headphone mixer with signals from various modelers/voice processors and miked drums, everybody's happy. Myself included.

But when we get a nice big room and good placement of our backline gear, the sound is indeed glorious. It just happens very rarely. Plus, we rehearse in somebody's basement all night and apart from the lead singers vocals, nobody would be the wiser (if we used e-drums that is).

Modelers with headphones are just perfect for this scenario. And I can definitely hear a difference in the brand of guitar amp modeler I send through my headphones - and so can the rest of the band. Never been as happy as with the Atomic Amplifire. Haven't tried the GT-1 though.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom