1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Boss GT-10 - anyone heard it yet?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by redpill, Jan 23, 2008.

1. redpill

redpill Member

Anyone get a chance to try out the GT-10 at NAMM? I've always felt Boss lagged well behind Line6 in the amp sim department. Then again, Boss actually put their new product in a solid, reliable enclosure, while Line6 went the Zoom-inspired plastic "toy" route for the X3 Live, then skipped beta testing for good measure. So I guess the new Boss is worth a listen at least.

Honestly, I really don't go for all-in-one units, but I was tempted when the X3 Live first came out, only to find the mic pre was horrible, the construction suspect, and the bug list extensive. Yes, they released a firmware upgrade to fix some bugs (as well as to deal with repeated shorting in some units that was causing patch changes - the firmware just tells the unit to ignore it - great, regular shorting forever!), but others remain. My desire to avoid a full-blown lemon tells me that Line6 is off the menu completely, and since I have been browsing Boss pedals a lot lately, the GT-10, which normally wouldn't hit my radar, caught some idle curiosity.

So, any likers? Is the amp sim better than the GT-8?

2. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

I've heard some very good reports on it ...
    & from folk who hate modellers ... so keep your finger's crossed!!

3. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

4. redpill

redpill Member

5. redpill

redpill Member

I consider myself finished but possibly persuadable...but yeah, the demos I've seen don't do it at all. I'll probably stick with my pedal plan.

6. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I've always thought these "all-in-one" units seem to sound great at the music store but once you have had some quality time with it, they start to sound about not so good. I think they serve a great fuction to get kids exposed to classic amp and vintage pedal tones so they are great for a fourteen year old with his first guitar but not much else IMO.

7. Mincer

Mincer Member

dunno, i use a gt-pro with a guitar synth/looping rig (no pedals, no guitar amp) and it is great. definately not a toy- and the '2 amps at once is worth it alone.'
    the other thing is, i am not going after classic sounds. the editing is so deep (I use a PC) that it is fun just to re-route effects and see how it changes the sound. but i am a weirdo who likes that kind of stuff.

8. redpill

redpill Member

Well I disagree with the "classic amp/vintage pedal" thing, because I've never had much love for vintageness in and of itself. But I agree that they make good introductions to a variety of tonal options. I like them from the perspective of direct recording, not for an album, but for getting ideas down and playing with them. But if all I'm gonna get is cheesy over-effected 80's tone, I'm going to pass.

9. redpill

redpill Member

I'm still not a gear snob. I'll just get individual Boss pedals and use my amp or a different amp sim (for direct) instead. :)

10. redpill

redpill Member

Sure. I work with computers all day long and am dying to get away from them when I pick up my guitar, so a software solution is a nonstarter for me.

11. fiftywatt

fiftywatt Member

The X3 Live was a real letdown. I never could get past the plastic enclosure or all the poor reliability reports. I do use the XT Live all the time for recording. It doesn't cut it in front of an amp for me.

I'm a gear snob, and have loads of nice vintage and boutique pedals. I've also used the Boss GT-5 for years. I've got it really dialed in and I'm getting some great tones with it that rival my best stomps. I would never use the amp or cab sims though. I just use the distortions, modulations, and delays, etc. Those functions are superb. I run the GT-5 in stereo to a pair of 112 tube combos. Breathtaking.

I've already ordered the GT-10. The Boss stuff is tough as nails, and I am pretty confident it is going to work for me. I play in a band that requires a lot of FX changes within songs that make the "pedal dance" impractical.

12. RDM

RDM Senior Member

I'm really anxious to hear what the Dumble model sounds like.

13. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    There's not many posts I agree with here. You stomp guys (and I'm one too) have got to understand that a Boss MFX is not a plug and play unit. It takes a big learning curve, a lot of tweaking time and a Harmonic Converger fitted to get good tones out of the preamps of a Boss GT-8.
    They're different to stomps - get with the program - and not really any more complicated. How many years did it take you guys, and how much did it cost to get your pedal board setup right.

And you don't run an MFX into the front of your amp like you do with stomps. They always sound crap that way cause you're running one preamp into another. Sounds much better running direct to the FX return loop of your amp so you need an amp with Series loop. You can then use the MFX preamp and your tube amps power section to warm up the tone.

Once you know what you're doing with an MFX like the GT8 you can get excellent tones out of it.

One other big advantage you guys bypass is you can also use it soley as an effects unit - there's over 30 effects. The effects are as good as the best pedals (except for wah) and you've got all your amps preamp tones as well. You get all that for under $400 vs more than $3000 for the equivelent in stomps. It's also lighter, more reliable and quicker to set up.

And before anyone starts making any comments about the GT-10 don't you think its a good idea to wait till it actually goes on sale, has been road tested, reviews come in and you get a chance to play one yourself.

And when you do don't play it at a store and say "that sounds like crap". I guarantee it'll sound bad at the store cause they don't know how to use em. You need to play one with your guitar and your own amp thru the FX return loop. Plus the factory preset patches are all crap - no-one uses them.