1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Boss GT-6B vs. Line 6 PodXT Live???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by RMosack, Oct 29, 2005.

1. RMosack

RMosack Supporting Member

If you were going to pick between the two of these, which would you pick?

And why?

Anyone know the relative strengths and weaknesses of each of these units?

2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I'd do a search on it here; this is a topic that has been covered in some depth.

3. nickt

nickt Member

4. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Interesting how much he liked the Digitech GNX. I've been raving about the GNX for some time now as a lone voice in the (POD, VoX) wilderness........ I FAR prefer it to the pod xt, TLSE, and the Boss's, though I've not heard the GT8 yet. A used GNX2 is the deal of the century. I now own 3 GNXs. I keep one parked at each of my two band's studios, and one at home. All that said, I only use them in tube amp series loops for effects/vol/wah. But I consider them a backup as I carry a power amp and lead pedals so if my tube amp goes south, I can slip into a clean model, run it into a power amp and into the (separated) speaker of my 'real' amp. Very flexible and terrific sound. Also, I only use clean models on the GNX, as I prefer to use my favorite lead pedals for lead tones.

jon

5. nickt

nickt Member

bluesdoc

I'm actually thinking of selling my XTL in favour of a GNX3K and your comments are pushing me over the GAS edge!! :D

6. bluesdoc

Hey Nick, bear in mind that none of mine are the 3000 - I have the 2 and the 3 but the technology is the same. Just some feature differences. All of them are firmware upgradeable so the specifics of any sound are 'probably' comparable.

I had pods up through the XT bean, and the others I mentioned, for years. I also used the GNX2 as a modeler straight into a powered monitor for awhile and really liked it - prefered it to the POD, etc. Plus, it's way more affordable, esp used, has a small footprint, and is just very user friendly. Please bear in mind though - if you want to use it just for modeling to a board or powered speaker system - I pretty much confined my use to a variety of clean patches, preferring to get my best lead tones from my pedals (V-Stack, OCD, BB, etc). But I gotta say, that review at thestompbox.net confirmed all my impressions.

Unless you really want to record with the pedal, skip the 3 or 4 and just get a 2, or the 3000, I suppose. I haven't examined, or played the 3000 but the 2 is great and again, a terrific deal used.

jon

7. nickt

nickt Member

thanks for the comments Jon!
    won't be recording really, mainly for live use. probably into the loop of my Mesa F50, with a decent O/D for boost.

Although I would like to try the 3000 into the front as I have been impressed with some clips of the amp models I've heard.

cheers
    Nick

8. bluesdoc

Nick, you have to be careful using a stomp box model for boost IN A LOOP. The dynamics are a bit different than when it's in front of an amp. That said, I use one of them for a slight boost (I'm trying to remember which........ mmm.. it's either the 250 or sparkledrive) setting the gain quite low and the overall effect higher for a minimally colored volume boost. Any other more significant tone altering boost would probably be best in front of the amp (any number of lead pedals with gain low, or a COT50, etc). You DON'T want to slam the amp's output section with a large loop boost.

jon

9. RMosack

FWIW, I'm a guitar player, so all the discussion of the guitar modelers is interesting. Still, I began this thread looking for BASS info.

Looking back, I mentioned the "B" part of GT-6B, but forgot to type in the "Bass" part of Bass POD XT Live.

Sorry for the confusion. :D

Does anybody have any input regarding the BASS modelers?

10. RMosack