Boss GT series

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by kennywiegman, Apr 20, 2015.

1. kennywiegman

kennywiegman Member

I picked up a GT 10 with bag for a goofy price, as I was searching for a new multi-effect board to 4cm with my tube amp. It is difficult to find any information about Boss stuff since their unofficial forum crashed. Searching through TGP there is very little info too. Can anyone share their experiences on the not GT100 boards and give some advice for running 4 cable specifically?
    Thanks

2. aruark1

aruark1 Member

3. glenndelune

glenndelune Member

I've got these two videos that might be of some help!

4. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

I used my GT-10 for quite a while in the 4CM and it was flawless. I bypassed the preamp and used the effects out front and in the loop. You are able to place your effects wherever you want via the "effects chain" screen. It's pretty slick and it has one of the best noise gates I've tried, well, actually 2 noise gates. If you're going high gain you can put one in front to tame your pickups and the other in the loop to tame the hiss. Wish the Eleven Rack had them.

5. aruark1

aruark1 Member

Glenn is a wealth of knowledge and I've purchased a few of his patches and they sound great!

6. MJ Slaughter

MJ Slaughter Member

I've been running the GT-10 and now GT-100 for years via 4CM with great success and never a problem that wasn't user error. Tip 1) color code your cable ends.

Happy to provide advice if you have specific questions.

7. kennywiegman

kennywiegman Member

Thanks for the info so far. I cant believe how seamlessly this thing is with my TSL. It "feels" like pedals both in front and in the loop. can I use my preamp for channel A and a modeling preamp for channel B in the same patch?

8. MJ Slaughter

MJ Slaughter Member

Yes. Just be sure to have the S/R block placed correctly.

9. kennywiegman

kennywiegman Member

That is my question then. Where do I place the s/r block to effectively use my preamp and boss.preamp as A and B footswitchable

10. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

Right. I've done that with various GTs / amps over the years. It can sound very cool, but it takes a little more love to get the levels/balance right.

Peace,

11. MJ Slaughter

MJ Slaughter Member

Put the S/R in the channel you will be using your real amps preamp with it turned on along with any other effects that you want to use only with that amp.

12. kennywiegman

kennywiegman Member

Thanks MJ....Ill give that a try next time I plug in. I had to write notes for my setup but I usually do color code though a great tip. I use those little Velcro ties for the send/return/amp in cables and.turn three into one

13. MJ Slaughter

MJ Slaughter Member

Color code or labels help me. Once I had the send and return cables switched and it took me a minute to figure out what was wrong. At a gig with limited setup time I need things simple with little to no chance of user error.

14. MetalGuitard

MetalGuitard Member

/\ This /\

15. kennywiegman

kennywiegman Member

I just unbagged the GT 10 after loving the sh!t out of it 4cm and plugged it into a 1960A with two speakers pulled and powered by a EHX .22 caliber. The thing sounds terrible browsing the presets. It is a night and day difference. Granted I haven't made my own patches using just the Boss yet, and the e-z edit is really useful, man those stock presets are bad. I am not worried because what I bought it for it does well, and I could fake through a night if my amp crapped out, I just better build some patches before I gig it again. All factory presets are pretty bad, but these are impressively rotten sounding

16. Pat6969

I don't understand why anyone would think the stock presets would work ever!! It's like they try and use every possible effect they can to try and show off the unit when they actually make it sound like crap. The 11r is the same. Once you delve in and make your own presets, that's when these things shine. I loved the GT-10 and now the 11r.

17. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

Yeah, presets are always way too wet. They can be useful to examine for "how they got that effect," but are otherwise completely useless to me. I've been using MFX off and on for well over ten years. I've never gigged with a preset.

Fortunately, I've found the GT-100 to be very easy to dial in--at least for me and my music.

Peace,

18. rsm

rsm Member

Agreed. My first run through the presets on the GT-100 was underwhelming. I tried most of the EZ Tone styles that looked like they would be something I'd use, they sounded great/very good even if it's not a sound I'd use. The 4-quadrant grid + resonance screen is very intuitive, I'm having a blast just experimenting with various settings.

Frankly, I'm getting so many good clean tones with variations I dig, it's tough to decide on my 3-5 favorites. Next up will be adding various effects to my "final" 3-5 clean presets, including dirt. The crunch / hi-gain models also sound very good.

Natural Clean, JC120 and Combo Clean all sound great to me, with nuances - I think I will create one patch for each of these and build from there...

I am very impressed with the GT-100, and sorry I waited so long to give one a go

19. kennywiegman

kennywiegman Member

The factory preset are good as references. I remember my RP10 was the same way 20 years ago. I dialed up a pretty decent headphones only preset on the Gt10 after I posted and know that this thing is gonna suit me just fine. It makes sense more logically than other under $500 modelers I have used in the past. I have always been cautious of digital and poor Boss is last to be tired. Should've trusted them sooner they have been making industry standard GUITAR gear since the late 70s.

20. Pat6969

Wait until you try it direct through a PA. I was amazed when I did this. Took me about an hour but I had a couple killer clean patches, about 4 sweet high gain patches and a couple Marshall crunch patches dialed in and saved. Does it replace an all tube amp, no, but it very close, and in the mix the band was amazed at how good it sounded.