Boss GX-100 Incoming. I will blame Jive Turkey if it doesn’t rock the Casbah.

Pat6969

The Core. I’d compare it to the GX but it’s boxed up for return. It’s not a complicated patch if you’d like to replicate it on the GX. It’s based on a factory preset called Brit Lead 78 I think. Just lower the gain to 84, raise the treble to 48, turn off the delay and lower the room reverb a bit. I don’t think I adjusted sag or anything else. The gain setting will depend on how hot your pickups are of course and vintage voiced ones help. I was using SD Custom 5 at bridge. Which is basically a SD ‘59 tonally with some added output. Sounds killer to me. Let me know if you try it!

Only thing I have set globally different from the factory is the slight EQ tweak I mentioned earlier. Likely not needed. I just prefer it.
I was wondering which unit you were using. I have an X-Crunch preset that has been making me smile for two weeks.

Ad_Astra

Yesterday I playd with the GX for a few hours, creating a few more patches, and sounds so good.

Tone Studio is a bit slow but only when writing or changing a patch.

I'm sure many of you know already, but putting the looper in the start of the chain is a great way to start experimenting. Record a thing on looper, put your guitar away and start dialing. When getting where you want, pick up the guitar again, stop the looper and play + some extra fine tweaking from there.

The only thing I miss is the storable effects presets. Would be nice to be able to recall effect settings.

benifin

Silver Supporting Member
Boss really should implement MIDI 2.0. It is a lot faster.

Happy to be corrected but its not a Midi 1.0 vs Midi 2.0 thing.

Stock Midi 1.0 is plenty fast enough but for some bizarro reason, Boss "built" the GT [and perhaps even the GX if its the same] to only transmit and receive a very low number of "bits" or "bytes" per second.

There's no reason for it to be this way ..... but that's Boss ;) :) .... and as I suspect its a hardware design "limitation" [ie:- bad design / stupid decision] it cant be fixed by updating B.T.S or the Driver ... so *I think* were stuck with it :)

Ben

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
I also found the onboard interface to actually be pretty quick to get around once you adjust. It's dated for sure...but it's fairly simple. I didn't find any real benefit in using the editor either via USB or via bluetooth.

gumtown

Happy to be corrected but its not a Midi 1.0 vs Midi 2.0 thing.

Stock Midi 1.0 is plenty fast enough but for some bizarro reason, Boss "built" the GT [and perhaps even the GX if its the same] to only transmit and receive a very low number of "bits" or "bytes" per second.

There's no reason for it to be this way ..... but that's Boss ;) :) .... and as I suspect its a hardware design "limitation" [ie:- bad design / stupid decision] it cant be fixed by updating B.T.S or the Driver ... so *I think* were stuck with it :)

Ben
Only if it makes you Happy then,
Midi (version 1) has a speed limit of 31.250kbs (bits not bytes) which is equivalent to dialup internet speed.
A typical Boss patch is around 6kB (bytes), which will take around 10 seconds to transfer at regular midi speed.
As for the midi transport, whether 5 pin DIN cable or USB 1,2,or 3, thunderbolt, or Ethernet, the maximum end point speed of midi (v 1.0) is still throttled to 31.250kbs.
For the life of me, I can not understand why Boss still use MIDI to transport system exclusive data from their devices to a computer over USB.
They should be doing what everyone else does, and use high speed serial (proper unrestricted USB).

Midi 2.0 is designed for abroad range of transport mediums, and I believe the speed is not restricted, so could feasibly be in the GB/s range (hardware permitting).

benifin

Silver Supporting Member
Only if it makes you Happy then,
Midi (version 1) has a speed limit of 31.250kbs (bits not bytes) which is equivalent to dialup internet speed.
A typical Boss patch is around 6kB (bytes), which will take around 10 seconds to transfer at regular midi speed.
As for the midi transport, whether 5 pin DIN cable or USB 1,2,or 3, thunderbolt, or Ethernet, the maximum end point speed of midi (v 1.0) is still throttled to 31.250kbs.
For the life of me, I can not understand why Boss still use MIDI to transport system exclusive data from their devices to a computer over USB.
They should be doing what everyone else does, and use high speed serial (proper unrestricted USB).

Midi 2.0 is designed for abroad range of transport mediums, and I believe the speed is not restricted, so could feasibly be in the GB/s range (hardware permitting).

Thanks heaps gumtown :) Genuine thanks for the great info and education :)

Your explanation matches exactly the "slowness" of GT Midi transmission and reception.

I hope it isnt - but Im assuming the GX will be the same - you do get used to the "slowness" buts its "irksome" at best :)

[ "Major you irk me" Dr Smith, Lost In Space <- couldn't resist :) ]

All the best,
Ben

Cactusprick

Ok received GX-100 today, this is merely a quick impression from scrolling through Presets for 10 minutes.

The Good
+Absolute top of the line build quality for the money, what You should expect from Boss
+Amazing tuner. Havent tried poly mode yet but it is very sensitive and accurate.
+Presets sounded great in general.
+Extremely quiet - quietest I have tried. I have very noisy mains and GX-100 appears to be quieter than anything I have/had
+Excellent effects, i didnt get to hear much delays from the Presets tho?
+Bright and crisp screen - looks way better in real life
+Touchscreen - this is no gimmick at all. Works quite well and eliminates menu diving

The Bad
-Some amps sound paperthin. Typical Boss cockwah sound. Although they appear to be vastly improved from GT-100 (never owned GT-1000, only heard them from the shop)
-Reverbs sound too dry, even when you ramp up the mix. Has anyone felt this way?
-wish the unit was little shorter, compared to the width. Not major.

To be tested tonight
1.Raw amp models
2.Effects quality
3.AIRD cabs
4.USB Audio quality and latency
5.IR loading

From a 10 minute encounter, I can safely say this is one of the best Boss multi effects unit they made.

josetxu

That's a bummer. Everyone's ears and preferences are different.

I run a Suhr Custom with SSV and Landau SC's and a Gibson LP with Antiquities and the Helix, AA3 and AxeFx all feel and sound great to me.

What's your output system?

It depends. I've tried several headphones: DT770, DT880, AKG 371, Sennheiser HD599se and HD6xx. Better the sennheisers HD599se because they give the helix some missing thump and are a bit darker. The HD6xx sounds more neutral but they let too much acoustic string noise from the guitar to leak.

I also have a set of JBL305s for home monitoring and whatever PA we have where we play.

I also have a Kemper stage and had a Axe FXIII (and soon a FM9), they sounded better with any of the playback systems.

KingsXJJ

This Boss stuff is just so easy to play! It practically plays itself compared to my other modelers. That leads to some pretty inspiring practice sessions for sure. Love it!

00759445-C4BE-48AC-9EF8-A9E726B6D920.jpeg

Top Bottom