Boss HM-2w Hype Thread

olejason

ALL ABOARD THE HM-2W HYPE TRAIN! NO BRAKES! ALL HYPE!

On to serious discussion. Boss is taking comments on what we'd like to see in the HM-2w. For me a clean blend, boost, or noise gate would all be welcome additions. I know lots of people are going to ask for a mids control but I'm just not sold on it. I've played many HM-2 clones with a mids control and I just don't think it adds much to the circuit. If anything it ends up making the circuit sound like any other high gain distortion pedal. You lose the weird notches and boosts that make the HM-2 do it's unique thing. I've seen people asking for a mode that sounds more "normal"... that's pretty much what the MT-2w. I don't see any reason to do that with the HM-2w. EMBRACE THE CHAINSAW!

Big in Japan

Silver Supporting Member
Well, if they're asking for ideas: take off all of the knobs and replace them with fixed resisters at the values of the normal pots when they're wide open. Because, who even uses an HM-2 without all of the knobs dimed? While they're at it, they can remove the stomp switch too. Because, who even turns off their HM-2?

olejason

Make it switchable between the HM-2 and HM-3 models!
That would be sick. I've been using the HM-3 a lot recently and love it, especially for black metal. I feel like it gets lost in the shuffle sitting between the HM-2 and Metal Zone but seems like more and more people are starting to talk about it.

sonichronic

Silver Supporting Member
another famous use of the HM-2

not only are all the Death Metal fans going to be drooling over this but so are all the Gilmour nerds... I'm happy to say I belong to both parties.
as well as the new fandom gained by all the 'modern' metal bands... I too was a young teenage kid in some weird basement, VFW or gym watching Jacob Bannon "headwalk" over the crowd as Converge reverberated at piercing frequencies around me.

for those who didn't know Gilmour used it heavily in the 80s into a Mesa Boogie preamp & CE-2 + Various Digital Delays

im damn excited about this pedal.

though I'm also excited about the Boss MZ-2 Digital Metalizer that is on it's way to me in the mail right now

Last edited:

MrSage

It would be cool if we ran with the David Gilmour connection - tailor the custom mode to be more like a boosted Muff that nails the PF sound. Seems like if you went the other way your stepping on the toes of the MT-2w.
Has Boss ever done a Big Muff circuit?

Wyatt Martin

another famous use of the HM-2

not only are all the Death Metal fans going to be drooling over this but so are all the Gilmour nerds... I'm happy to say I belong to both parties.

for those who didn't know Gilmour used it heavily in the 80s into a Mesa Boogie preamp & CE-2 + Various Digital Delays

I think the HM2 was in Eric Clapton's 80s era rig as well.

Trending Topics