Boss HR-2 Harmonist... 2 questions...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nashvillesteve, Jul 7, 2006.

1. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

So, I want this pedal.

1. I know the "detector" input is what people say to use. Fine. But does it *have* to live in an effects loop? I mean, it will be in a loop because it's got a Boss buffer in it, but my amps don't have effects loops...

2. Yes, it's clear that it has two harmonies that play in stereo, A & B, with individual volume controls. What I want to know is does the dry output come out of A, B, A & B or neither?

I'll be done tomorrow with my WOBO custom switcher design... It's pretty ludicrous, but it's going to be fookin' awesome. I think I might post my preliminary ideas tonight...

2. Jack Luminous

Jack Luminous Member

Hi !! The HR-2 doesn't need to be in an amp loop, unless you are using the amp's distortion. The dry tone comes out of both outputs.

3. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

1. No, it does not have to go in the loop. It's fine before the amp - it sounds quite different before and after distortion, but it will work either way. The purpose of the Detector input is to allow you to send a clean signal from the guitar into it if you want to run it after distortion (which screws up its pitch-detection). So if you're running it before the amp with no distortion pedals in front of it, you don't need to worry about the Detector input (which is purely that BTW, not a second signal input - you always need the signal connected to the normal input). If you're running it either after distortion pedals or in the amp's loop, you're better to split the signal before the distortion or amp, and run the extra output to the Detector input.

2. It's a while since I had one and I never used it in stereo, but I'm pretty sure the direct signal is on both outputs, it's just the harmonies that are split.

4. Jack Luminous

Jack Luminous Member

Yeah, technically, it will work but the harmony notes will be distorted together with the original notes so the end result might not be what one normally is looking for when using intelligent harmony. Why not play the chords directly, in this case ?

5. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I thought I made another post last night about the next switching system design I was tossing around, I must have not hit "Post." Oh, well, it is all saved as a .txt file

So, if we were dealing with pre-overdrive/boost/distortion, would an HR-2 in a loop have to come before a loop that had an Emma Discumbobulator going into a Red Witch Deluxe Moon Phaser? I was worried that the Boss would mess up how sensitive the Emma pedal is if its loop came before, so I should put it afterwards but have it use the detector input with a split line out pre-envelope filter/phaser to detect pitch correctly and run the HR-2's normal input AFTER the Emma/RW loop (where it would get dynamic cues). That way the HR-2 wouldn't get confused by parts with weird attack and phasing pitch...

I really want to use it for harmony parts, additional organ tones (more harmonic content until I can afford the full-fledged H.O.G. setup, which will complement it nicely). I'm especially excited about using it both live and for looped parts recorded with a string sound using the ebow for an instant faux-string section. That would be killer with a volume pedal when covering "The Thrill Is Gone" (with a quotation from the "Comfortably Numb" solo in the middle)...

Thanks, guys.

6. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I know it will sound synthesized to some degree (fine, it will be fairly obvious that it's an effect of some sort), but it should sound OK pre-boost/overdrive effects even into a cranked amp. Won't it sound like my guitar and a "weird" guitar playing harmony parts? I am planning on having the options of using toggle switches with its loop to select between using it in true stereo with one voice going on through- the other being sent to my Echo/FX channel, which can be varied in sound, or when it is engaged to send the bypassed signal through the chain, marry the stereo outputs to a mono signal and route that to my Echo/FX channel, so that my main sound is unaltered and I can layer into the mix (mute or unmute) the Echo/FX channel that has my harmonies on tap. It would be nice not to HAVE put the output on the main signal line, and it wouldn't be running the harmonized parts through any dirt boxes (amp might be cranked, but that's OK, I can adjust volume on the voices....)

7. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Slightly off topic, but concerning the PS-5's harmonist feature, it obviously sounds more "natural" post-gain. The PS-5 does not have a direct in, but I'd assume it has improved tracking. How well does the PS-5 harmonize post gain?

8. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Because it can still play them off single-note solo lines, and playing chords like that is quite hard :).

I actually liked it into distortion - exactly for that reason, I thought it sound more like an 'electric guitar'. Running it after distortion sounded more like a synth or like a recording of an electric guitar with overdubs.

Totally a taste/application thing - if you prefer Neil Young to Steve Vai you'll understand ;).

9. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I *think* I understand... and yes I do. I would think that the compression/overdrive would make it sound less synth-y, but frankly I guess I'm fine with synthy as long as anybody watching isn't under the impression that it's pre-recorded...

10. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

I got one I wouldn't mind parting with if anyone's interested. PM me.