• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Boss Katana 50 - Unbelievable!!!

Denny

I ordered this amp last week after viewing some YouTube vids. This amp is a game-changer for S>S> amps. I"m a dedicated "tube snob", and I've put all my Boogies, Fenders and Marshall's in the closet. I just can't stop playing it. I can pick it up with 2 fingers and gig all night long - no need for stomp boxes, multi-FX, etc. How can a sound so huge ("yuge") come from this light, inexpensive amp!!!! I LOVE IT. BTW - I've been playing for over 50 years.

PB+J

I ordered this amp last week after viewing some YouTube vids. This amp is a game-changer for S>S> amps. I"m a dedicated "tube snob", and I've put all my Boogies, Fenders and Marshall's in the closet. I just can't stop playing it. I can pick it up with 2 fingers and gig all night long - no need for stomp boxes, multi-FX, etc. How can a sound so huge ("yuge") come from this light, inexpensive amp!!!! I LOVE IT. BTW - I've been playing for over 50 years.

So you ordered it last week. Let's say seven days ago. It took two days let's say to arrive. So at most you've had five days with it. But you already managed to do gigs with it? And you have already retired all your tube amps?

Maybe give it another week or two?

ironman28

While the Katana is a great amp considering its price and features I wouldn't say it can replace a closet full of Fenders, Boogies or Marshalls any more than my SLO can replace my BF Band Master. They are different tools for the job.
BTW I own 2 Katana heads (since Nov 2016) and for rehearsal and recording they do every thing I need right now... But I still run a board up front and some rack gear in the loop just like I would with a good tube amp.

Denny

I can't believe that a few of you question my honesty?? Don't you guys ever let up? I posted to praise the amp and technology - not to be lambasted for my choice on equipment. NO - It will never replace my tube amps, and no amp can do it all, but this amp is sure easier and more convenient to gig with. It's just great technology - not a sacrilege!!

PB+J

I can't believe that a few of you question my honesty?? Don't you guys ever let up? I posted to praise the amp and technology - not to be lambasted for my choice on equipment. NO - It will never replace my tube amps, and no amp can do it all, but this amp is sure easier and more convenient to gig with. It's just great technology - not a sacrilege!!
I'm not questioning your honesty, I'm questioning your judgement. You just got the thing, by your own admission! You've had it less than a week--again, by your own admission, and you yourself said it had replaced all your tube amps, which you relegated to the closet because....the katana had replaced them.

I've never tried one. It might sound great--I'm not a tube amp purist, i gig with solid state amps. But you appear to be suffering from something any guitar players knows, a bad case of "OMG I JUST BOUGHT THIS AND IT'S THE BEST EVAH!!!!!" :)

Seriously no offense meant, I was trying for a light hearted tone

A440

Silver Supporting Member
Is the voicing anything like the classic/Marshall style model in the cube series?

filtersweep

I was also excited to buy all my new gear that I later sold. Something about honeymoons...

... or cognitive dissonance.

C-4

I question no one else's honesty, ability, or what they hear, compared to others.
I thought, when I tried both the 100 and the 50 Katana, that they were nice sounding ss amps, and quite versatile.

I felt the same way about my Kemper compared to my valve amp. I still have the Kemper and enjoy it through head phones for practicing without waking or disturbing anyone else, but so far I haven't found any ss amp to replace the feel of my valve amp. They sound close or even exact, but the feel is not there yet.

As for the OP who put his Fender's, Boogies, and Marshalls in the closest, that was a wise decision for the Fenders and Boogies, but get the Marshalls out and enjoy them along with your Katana. ;)
ymmv

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
I've been a weekend warrior gigger of tube amps for 50 years too and have tried every solid state amp that crossed my path hoping one would come along to make guitar amp ownership better without sacrificing that tube tone & feel we all love. And, after trying many solid state amps along the way, the Katana 100w combo finally crossed my threshold of acceptance. No, I can't say it's perfect or better than my tube amps but, all things considered, I can now justify moving out my tube amps. The Katana's tone & feel under the fingers are very good and there are no reliability and tube maintenance issues. Gigging has enough headaches and taking fragile, unpredictable tubes out of the picture is one less headache.

Last edited:

ducker 1

Remember, people once thought the world was flat and that a basic cell phone was for the rich only.It was only 30 yrs ago that we had no internet.Some thought that cameras stole their sole and flying in the sky was science fiction--an inexpensive guitar amp that sounds good is not that all improbable.--just sayin

Trending Topics

Top Bottom