BOSS KATANA 刀 amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by john lan, Sep 9, 2016.

1. john lan

john lan Member

2. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

Interesting. On that video he says that the Tube Logic that's used in the Blues Cube amps is COSM based. But I've also heard and read that Roland claims the Blues Cube amps are absolutely not using any kind of COSM.

Now I'm curious to know which one is the real truth.

3. Jose Zindle

Jose Zindle Member

Count me in.
    The mfx thread may have more interest for others but this line has me truly intrigued.
    Hopefully they aren't priced liked the blues cube or waza stuff.

otter5555 likes this.
  4. jds22

jds22 Supporting Member

Not even close.

112 50 watt combo $199
    100 watt Head $349
    112 110 watt combo $329
    212 100 watt combo $499

At least that's what I've seen so don't hold me to it.

5. deathrider817

deathrider817 Supporting Member

I need another 1-12" due to selling my Blackstar ID-30..these Boss Katana amps will get a look and play by me when I see one local,or just order online after seeing a few more reviews..if correct those are some nice prices.

mleffler and 19BCG87 like this.
  6. TEPR

TEPR Member

is it capsule-compatible?

7. MrWhoever

MrWhoever Member

The Waza amp release makes a lot more sense to me now.
    By launching it first at that price point they show their ambition to compete with all the high quality offerings in that price range.
    I suspect they never intended to release wide, who would at that price point? From a company that offers 99% very reasonably priced products for a big part of the market (and the vast majority of their customers is not 'into' products like us TGP readers).
    I have never heard a WAZA amp, right now its not available on amazon, sweetwater has the head discounted from 3.6k to 2.6k. No customer reviews found, not that surprising for any amp at that price point.
    In Germany it costs 2.6k before taxes, 3.1 after. You want to go full Waza, of course, so the 4x12 will cost 1.4k on top of that. At 4k, I am sure one can negotiate and get the 100$ tone cable for free.
    So never having heard it, i would assume it is a good amp at least? Who wouldn't make a good amp at 4k? And Boss makes really decent stuff in the 500-1000 dollar range at least.

They definitely show they are of the same lineage in the design, both have the kanji letter, similar knob desings etc.. no wonder the waza is kinda chinzy looking (for that price).
    That 'gen' of tone is soon available at (presumably) 200 bucks... I think the demoed tones are useful, duff showed off how it sounds with some crunch and mild gain settings, and how it sounds when not played in time. Could easily be a 300$ amp to my ears :aok. And if the pricing structure is correct, there won't be much difference between the models outside of more speakers and the bigger power amp. Maybe for the top model they will throw in another 2$ knob and a 5$ processor!

McShred and Jose Zindle like this.
  8. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Silver Supporting Member

Wow, with a snarky post that long, you'd expect at least something to be funny.. ;)

9. PedalOnPedalOff

PedalOnPedalOff Member

interesting, i think i would like to check one out.

10. Takk

Takk Member

11. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

Side note, I just noticed Sweetwater has the Roland Cubes (not Blues Cubes) very heavily discounted.

Hmmmmm.........

12. gtrplr71

gtrplr71 Member

well it definitely is going to put Line 6 on notice at the price point. I think it sound fairly fluid. I guess the brain trust at BOSS needed to recoup the cost of the WAZA thingy.

Jose Zindle likes this.
  13. Sleepyscholar

Sleepyscholar Member

I'm not sure he does say that. I know the subtitles say that, but what I'm hearing translates better as 'Tube Logic, when added to a base of COSM...' The way I understand this is that the Katana amps are based on COSM, to which has been added the Tube Logic from the Blues Cubes. Thus the Blues Cubes aren't using any kind of COSM, but Katana is.

Granted, I'm not a native speaker. I've only been here 25 years. But I do work in translation, and I have learned not to trust translations in this country.

14. Wedge

Wedge Member

Seems like a Line 6 Spider amp, but one that actually sounds good with killer Boss effects built in......win.

15. Sleepyscholar

Sleepyscholar Member

One thing that came up in the video posted by the OP was a stray line about the Waza amp: that it was intended to capture their 'ideal guitar sound'. Now I haven't heard a Waza live, but like most posters here, I saw the promotional video and thought it sounded a bit tacky. But actually that makes sense once you remember Roland/Boss is a Japanese company. With the Waza, they were not aiming at all you folk with your exquisite taste. They were aiming at the people who want to capture the typical guitar sound of a successful Japanese rock (by which you should probably understand 'image') band. And the Waza delivers that in spades. Just check out a few Japanese bands on Youtube like Exile, Dir En Gray, L'arc En Ciel and so on.

The Katana, on the other hand, is aimed at guitarists around the world, so as well as being cheaper, it's probably a bit more workmanlike.

16. erniecaster

erniecaster Member

Hi,

the 50 watt amp could be nice, if you can dial in a good clean sound at the edge of breakup if it can handle pedals...

Light, cheap, small, Boss never breaks. At least, it could kill the Peavey Bandit.

cu

erniecaster

GrantRowlands and deathrider817 like this.
  17. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

Any word on foot controllers for live use?

18. jds22

jds22 Supporting Member

After watching some of the newer vids on this amp I'm definitely interested in test driving one.

19. Takk

Takk Member

20. macmax77

macmax77 Member

this one sounds very good