BOSS KATANA 刀 amplifiers

Boomdoggy

Silver Supporting Member
Pretty and nice playing! I did manage to record a quick clip too... Will post it later. This amp is very addictive!
Yes it is. Very inspiring. I haven't played this much in a long time. My fingers need to get used to this again.

ECmaj7

I own the Katana Head - use it with a Quilter Micro pro 12" Extension Cab (with factory Celestion Classic Lead 80)
http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/products/accessories-in-depth/micropro-mach-2-ext

love it so much - I'll have a Katana 100 112 combo here tomorrow to compare

Pending a work schedule, I'll post a review mid week.
I have the Katana head running into a Celestion V70.
It's very smooth on the top end.
I've tried it into my mesa lonestar celestion 90 which was brighter and a Wherehouse G12C which is really twangy.
I'm wondering how the combo built in speaker compares to other speakers.
From hearing demos it seems to be pretty bright, which I like.
I especially would like my nylon acoustic Godin to sound the best it can.
I wish I could buy the Katana 12" speakers...

Elantric

The Speaker used in Katana 100-112 is great like a cross between a Celestion G12-80 and an EVM 12L

It's one of the finest speakers offered for a 100watt amp

Big reason I purchased my second Katana 100-112 combo

Improbable Joe

Double Platinum Member
Fun fact: if you didn't like the Metal Zone as a stand-alone pedal, you probably aren't going to love the digital version very much either. The Blues Drive is pretty sweet though.

Boomdoggy

Silver Supporting Member
You must be in the 100w setting...I can hear it direct in Ligonier ;).
Lol. My dogs freak out when I turn the .5 watt up to 5. Man do these things get loud. Ligonier was so close to the state championship. Had to be buzzing in town during the playoffs?

Filipe

Filipe wrote>

In a nutshell:
Step 1 - in your DAW, select Katana Primary as your output device, Katana Secondary as your input device (on a Mac, replace Primary by 1,2, Secondary by 3,4);
Step 2 - Record your guitar (from the Katana Secondary input) alongside your backing tracks; the guitar sound is going to be recorded "clean", straight from the Amp's input (see block diagram), without any processing whatsoever - even though you'll hear it processed through amp's speaker, headphones output, etc;
Step 3 - Mute every other track except your clean guitar sound, and reverse the input / outputs: output device now becomes Katana Secondary, input becomes primary;
Step 4 - Create a new track, and set it to record from the Katana Primary input, with monitor inputs active so you can hear what's going on;
Step 5 - Hit play - the "clean" track is now going to be played back through the Katana's DSP, so fiddle with it until you get the sound you're looking for - this is also why you mute every other track, otherwise they would all go through the DSP. Which might be funky in it's own way, but I digress......
Step 6 - When you're ready to "commit to tape", hit the record button.
Step 7 - Set the DAW's output back to Katana Primary and listen to the results. You might have to nudge the new "processed" guitar track a few samples back because of processing delay, unless your DAW takes care of that automatically.

I cannot seem to figure out what I am still doing wrong, with Reaper. With the headphones plugged in, I can hear the guitar and I can hear the backing tracks. No matter how I try to configure it, however, I end up having the sound processed by the Katana. For example, if I play a backing track, while I play guitar, the backing track gets distortion or chorus on it. If I record a clean guitar with chorus, and attempt to play it back, that processed signal then goes through the process again.

With the settings like that, I made a recording. When I play that back, in Reaper, without changing the settings, it gets processed twice. If I let it play and change the channels on Tone Studio, I can hear the changes during playback.

If I Render it to an MP3 file and play it outside of Reaper, it sounds normal. This is the processed, crunch channel sound -- not the dry sound.

I then reverse the inputs to where PRIMARY is first and SECONDARY as last. Recording this and rendering it to an MP3 gives me the same results. The recording is of the distorted guitar part.

I then set PRIMARY(R) as the first and SECONDARY(R) as last. Same results.

Lastly, I set SECONDARY(R) as the first and PRIMARY(R) as the last. Same results.

I tried a few different outputs, to no avail, but was wondering if anyone using Windows 10 has had any success playing backing along with backing tracks and recording it, using Reaper. If so, do you have any idea what I need to set my settings to, to get this to work? Also, do you know how to record a dry signal?

I have also tried playing music through the Katana, using media player, and headphones, as is documented in the manual. If I set my sound to KATANA Secondary, the music plays through the headphones and is colored by the Katana Settings. If I set the sound to Katana Primary, there is no sound. I have no idea what I am doing wrong, here.
Sorry, I might have not been very clear in my initial post. Whenever you change Primary and Secondary inputs, you have to change both the inputs and the outputs. "First" and "last" are Reaper's way of addressing multi-input/output interfaces. In the Katana's case, and because it identifies as a 2-in / 2-out interface, "first" would be the left channel, and "last" would be the "right channel".

So:

Step 1 -

Step 3 -

Step 7 -

Hope this makes it clearer.

patrick2099

Sorry, I might have not been very clear in my initial post. Whenever you change Primary and Secondary inputs, you have to change both the inputs and the outputs. "First" and "last" are Reaper's way of addressing multi-input/output interfaces. In the Katana's case, and because it identifies as a 2-in / 2-out interface, "first" would be the left channel, and "last" would be the "right channel".

So:

Step 1 -

Step 3 -

Step 7 -

Hope this makes it clearer.
Thanks. I can't see the picture, but I think I figured out some of the issues.

The first problem is that I was trying to isolate a particular setting, in Tone Studio, to help someone who was having a problem with low output using the USB. I forgot to put the settings back, afterwards.

I had left the Mix Level at 0% and the Dry Out Level at 0%.

Putting those back fixed not getting output.

Now, setting the input and output as you suggested works. I am still wondering what the PRIMARY(R) and SECONDARY(R) are, though.

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
Lol. My dogs freak out when I turn the .5 watt up to 5. Man do these things get loud. Ligonier was so close to the state championship. Had to be buzzing in town during the playoffs?
I don't follow sports but I've been in the guitar game since the 60's and my Katana 100w 1x12 combo continues to impress this old tube snob even if I'm no longer gigging ;). So much so I listed my new Vibrolux in the emporium ;).

trisonic

Whilst I will not sell it (because, who knows?) I’m planing on using my Accomplice (set up like a Pro Reverb) for a clean “Wet” return - for playing in the basement.

Best, Pete.

SamPaoli

Well, now that we know Roland's Tube Logic is the real deal, we need to encourage the research and development of more circuits!!
D-style, AC's, T-wrecks etc....
Come on Boss, give us more ear candy please. Don't stop when you're on a Roll baby:D

Boomdoggy

Silver Supporting Member
I don't follow sports but I've been in the guitar game since the 60's and my Katana 100w 1x12 combo continues to impress this old tube snob even if I'm no longer gigging ;). So much so I listed my new Vibrolux in the emporium ;).
Yeah it's cured all amp GAS for a long time.