BOSS KATANA 刀 amplifiers

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
Yup, open back cabs have advantages & disadvantages. However, open back cabs being inefficient, that would be one reason to go with the 100w version if you plan on gigging the amp. However, one thing I like about open back cabs is they tend to have a surround-sound effect which is cool on stage...you don't have to be right in front of the amp to hear it. Closed back cabs tend to be more directional which can help more filling a room but the tone changes somewhat when you get off axis so you have to be careful adjusting your tone. You just gotta figure out what works best for you in your situation.

mj6thbuif

Greg I think " a little thin" is an understatement. My K100 is seriously lacking lowend compared to my Avatar 45 1x12 even just using the bright channel. The clean mode has the most bass and even that is thin. The distortion modes sound like an AM radio by comparison to the Avatar. I've dedicated a parametric EQ to every preset channel using a distorted mode just to get it somewhat in the ballpark. I'm not sure a different speaker would help if the issue is in the preamp/poweramp. My guess is that Boss cut bass to maximize power because bass reproduction uses a LOT more power than mids and treble. I also feel that the lack of bass is why so many people feel the treble is harsh (myself included).
Fr8, care to share you Para EQ settings? I also find the dirt voices to be a bit thinner than the clean voice. Both on the K50 and the head. Thanks

bradtfw

Silver Supporting Member
Sorry if this has been covered already: has anyone compared the Katana 50 to a Fender Mustang II? I'm looking for a $200 (or less) amp just for solo playing at home.

fr8_trane

Silver Supporting Member
I'm at work so I'm going from Memory.

+6 low
-2 @ 250 (tubbiness) bandwidth 4 (fairly narrow)
-2 @ 4k bandwidth 4 or 8 (narrow)
Hi cut filter set to 6.3 Khz (its on page 2)

bradtfw

Silver Supporting Member
I've played both and the Katana wins out by a landslide. Not as much of a fan of modelers now that this amp is out there.
Thanks for the reply! I'm mostly looking for clean and tweedy sounds with reverb. What types of sounds do you go for?

Last edited:

JerEvil

Vendor
Sounded very "thick" in a good way. How did you have the Katana set? Thanks!
Ah, good question and now I realize I SHOULD have done a graphic for the Clean setting.

Bass - 10:00
Mid - Noon
Treble - Noon

No effects at all. Bone dry and in 100 watt mode. Thanks for checking it out. Lot's of other vids including a BE-OD into a tiny Quilter amp on my channel as well... (hint hint!)

jageya

spent 3 hrs last nite working on the katana 100 1-12...it really sounds killer. Love the crunch with a boost and delay and rev....Its very organic....I am still trying to figure a pro way to have it a closed ot open back combo.I know someone else had someone pro design a piece to put ton the back so i would love to get that piece or dimensions..

jageya

Thanks for the reply! I'm mostly looking for clean and tweedy sounds with reverb. What types of sounds do you go for?
i think utilizing the para eq or graphic eq is the key to get tweedlike tones out of this.Dont know exactly how but i do think that is the best way to get them.

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
Sorry if this has been covered already: has anyone compared the Katana 50 to a Fender Mustang II? I'm looking for a $200 (or less) amp just for solo playing at home.
To my ears, while the Fender sounds pretty good and does multiple amp models, it lacks the tubey feel "under the fingers" of the Katana. The Katana doesn't model amps per se and is closer to a basic tube amp with its layout. Personal choice/needs though. A lot of different models or a basic EL34 based amp with multiple FX you can choose.

erikm5150

Has anybody tried the Katana 50 or 100 combo with a Nylon String acoustic in a band setting?
This won't be my main purpose for it, but if it can do this pretty well, it would save me from buying a dedicated Acoustic amp.

Pantalooj

I'll start by saying that I don't own a Katana (though have been hankering since I tried a 50). However, if you just want mainly cleans and tweeds with verb the Katana might get close, but it's more of a swiss army knife than a tool that focuses on what you are after. Would have thought a Roland Blues Cube would be your most likely best fit. That said, I tried both the Blues Cube and Katana side by side and was underwhelmed by the Blues Cube, and mightily impressed with the Katana. The Katana felt really good under the fingers.

Personally I am planning on trying a Katana 100 and giving the Blues Cube another go ... there are a few YouTube clips of the Blues Cube which feature outstanding tones, so my first impressions may have been more about my level of inspiration on the day than about how good the amp was.

Oh, not sure on your budget either, but the Blues Cube is twice the price of a Katana or Mustang ... but just might fit your needs exactly.

Last edited:

Elantric

https://www.boss.info/global/support/support_news/1703171456/

KATANA SERIES - FACTORY RESET INSTRUCTION TO FIX THE DELAY EFFECT PROBLEM
In case the delay effect on the Katana amplifier series does not work correctly, factory reset is required to fix the problem as instructed below. (for KTN-50, KTN-100, KTN-100/212, KTN-HEAD)

* All currently stored settings will be overwritten with the factory default settings.

Factory reset procedure

1 ) Set the POWER CONTROL knob to STANDBY.

2 ) Press & hold the PANEL button and turn the power on.
The BOOSTER/MOD, DELAY/FX, and REVERB indicators start to blink while the factory reset is being processed.

3 ) Release your finger.
It takes approximately 20 seconds to complete the factory reset.
When the PANEL indicator flashes, the procedure has been successfully completed.

4 ) Turn the power off.

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
I'll start by saying that I don't own a Katana (though have been hankering since I tried a 50). However, if you just want mainly cleans and tweeds with verb the Katana might get close, but it's more of a swiss army knife that a tool that focuses on what you are after. Would have thought a Roland Blues Cube would be your most likely best fit. That said, I tried both the Blues Cube and Katana side by side and was underwhelmed by the Blues Cube, and mightily impressed with the Katana. The Katana felt really good under the fingers.

Personally I am planning on trying a Katana 100 and giving the Blues Cube another go ... there are a few YouTube clips of the Blues Cube which feature outstanding tones, so my first impressions may have been more about my level of inspiration on the day than about how good the amp was.

Oh, not sure on your budget either, but the Blues Cube is twice the price of a Katana or Mustang ... but just might fit your needs exactly.
Yup, I had the Blues Cube Artist & Katana 100w combo side by side and, even though I prefer 6L6 based tube amps, I much prefer the EL34 voiced Katana over the 6L6 voiced BCA. So, use your ears and forget any preconceived notions when it comes to these amps.

bradtfw

Silver Supporting Member
I'll start by saying that I don't own a Katana (though have been hankering since I tried a 50). However, if you just want mainly cleans and tweeds with verb the Katana might get close, but it's more of a swiss army knife that a tool that focuses on what you are after. Would have thought a Roland Blues Cube would be your most likely best fit. That said, I tried both the Blues Cube and Katana side by side and was underwhelmed by the Blues Cube, and mightily impressed with the Katana. The Katana felt really good under the fingers.

Thank you for the response! This helps. I'm going to make a trip to GC this week to try them both. Right now I'm leaning towards the Mustang II from the demos that I've heard. Very intrigued by the Katana though.

Pantalooj

Yup, I had the Blues Cube Artist & Katana 100w combo side by side and, even though I prefer 6L6 based tube amps, I much prefer the EL34 voiced Katana over the 6L6 voiced BCA. So, use your ears and forget any preconceived notions when it comes to these amps.

It's funny, when you say "use your ears" ... when hearing other people play the Blues Cube (admittedly on YouTube) I really like what I hear. Same can be said of the Katana too though. But playing them, at least the last time I tried both side by side ... different experience. Which leads me to believe that a large part of "which one's best" when it's me doing the playing is the way the amp feels and responds ... this was, I think, the big difference between the two amps, and the Katana felt really inspiring to play. The brown channel, played with the gain turned down for my tastes, was addictive. The Blues Cube felt stiff and fairly uninspiring.

Like I said before, I'm willing to believe that it may have been me rather than the amp (BC) on the day that I tried it, so will give it another shot.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom