BOSS KATANA 刀 amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by john lan, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Slithman

Slithman Member

Hello, does anyone have a workaround for the "KATANA connection failure. Please select external MIDI/AUDIO device connection."? I just got my new Katana 100 combo today. I am running windows 10 with latest updates, I have installed adobe air as administrator, installed boss tone studio as administrator, it looks like windows automatically installed the Katana driver for me and it says they are working normally. I updated the firmware on my amp to latest version but still getting the error message "KATANA connection failure. Please select external MIDI/AUDIO device connection." when I try to open the boss tone studio.

2. Slithman

Slithman Member

I just tried it on a different windows 10 computer that has USB 2.0 ports and the Tone editor now connects and works. Don't use USB 3.0 ports I guess?

3. mhfs

mhfs Member

Not possible, unfortunately. The volume slider for those are disabled.

4. LPV

LPV Member

Can anyone offer some insight on how the MIDI (KAT HEAD 5 pin) is configured via tone studio (FW2.0)? Under system>MIDI SETTING it seems as though you should be able to map PC id's to channels but they don't seem to correspond to what I'm sending. For example if I send a PC 7, I would have to set the RX PC to something like 11 in MIDI SETTING for it to respond. It doesn't seem to be a standard offset so I think that I am just not understanding how its supposed to work. This is using 31250 baud but I also tried 62500 to see if that was the issue and the results were the same.

5. gazzy_burns

gazzy_burns Member

Not sure how others feel, but I thought the upgrade to V2 was pretty simple!

This is going to sound bizarre, but after fiddling around with a Line 6 Helix through headphones and through the Katana's effects loop, I actually prefer just using the Katana! Much less hassle, smaller, and easy to operate with the GA-FC. Now it has been upgraded, I'm even more glad I sold the Helix when I did....

For me, I prefer an actual amp whether it be solid state/digital/tube whatever, I just like having the physical amp. Even if the Katana is a sort of modelling amp....it's much much cheaper and sounds great.

I can now also use my physical pedals as I did before as to be honest, I still prefer an actual physical pedal over something like the Helix....then the Katana's effects are just a nice bonus!

BenoA, Lution and VaughnC like this.
  6. Yeah

Yeah Member

Yeah, I agree after trying pedals in the front (using the amp as a clean pedal platform) and modelers in the loop I prefer using just the amp most of the time. Although I have to say, I finally tried my 11Rack into the Katana 100 Heads effects loop last night and it sounded and felt amazing. I've tried the 11Rack into multiple power amps into the same 4x12 in the past and they never did it for me. I think I had tried - EHX 44 magnum, Rocktron Velocity 100, an old Peavey power amp, effects loop of Egnater tweaker 15, and effects loop of a Quilter 101 mini. It really shocked me at how great it sounds into the Katana loop. I ended up playing for close to 2 hours.

Lution, Jdstrat and October3 like this.
  7. vtgearhead

vtgearhead Silver Supporting Member

It sounds like you're trying to control the head from a general purpose computer. Are you sure the outgoing MIDI command is correctly formed? Are you using firmware v2.x? If so, are you configuring it with the appropriate version of Boss Tone Studio? It is easy to end up with "off by one" errors in the MIDI domain. The first MIDI channel is 0 at the protocol level, but often referred to as "Channel 1".

How are you setting up baud rate? Neither 31250 nor 62500 are standard signaling rates. On Linux platforms you need a special flag to have the OS recognize them.

Specifics would be helpful.

Scatabrain likes this.
  8. Garrus

Garrus Member

So far, the only thing that worked for me was... to install Windows 7...
    I didn't overwrite my Windows 10 partition, I installed Windows 7 on a separate HDD.
    I'm still looking for a way to use it with Windows 10 though, because I don't have a Windows 7 license anymore, so it will start nagging me after the grace period is over.

Everything works fine with Windows 7.
    However with Windows 10, here's what happens (for those unfamiliar with that error message):
    - The Katana driver installs itself just fine (it only takes a few seconds on my PC)
    - Adobe AIR installs just fine
    - The Boss Tone Studio for Katana installs just fine
    - The Boss Tone Studio detects the Katana (it says "Choose a device to connect with" and then you can choose between "KATANA", "KATANA DAW CTRL" and "KATANA CTRL")
    [​IMG]
    - When you click the "OK" button (with the "KATANA" option selected), you get the following error message:
    "KATANA connection failure. Please select external MIDI/AUDIO device connection."
    [​IMG]
    - No matter what you select in that window, when you click "OK", it just shows a loading icon for 2 seconds and then you're back to the error message

That can't be the problem: I've tried both USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports on my PC, and I've also tried it on another Windows 10 computer that only has USB 2.0 ports. Doesn't work in either case.

9. LPV

LPV Member

It’s a home brew pedal with arduino using the arduino midi library. I’ve used it successfully to control other midi devices and the results were as expected. It’s sending a simple PC message on channel 1. Yes fw 2 with the correct bts.

10. berumen77

berumen77 Member

Not sure if it has been mentioned or asked but has anyone noticed a kinda of chirp/whistle while using the Spring Reverb on Clean mode. I noticed it while picking harder around the higher notes between 12th-17th frets on the treble strings. Thought I was imagining this so I turned the reverb level up halfway and above and could clearly hear it. Seemed to happen based on the force at which the single notes were picked. I don't think I had heard it prior to doing the V2.02 update?

Can anyone else test their amp to verify if they have similar issue?

11. stratcat1980

stratcat1980 Member

Kind of off topic but if the 11r is so amazing as many say would that mean the headrush should be even better?

12. stratohiker

stratohiker Member

@Garrus
    Maybe try updating the chipset drivers on your PC. Update the BIOS too.
    If the manufacturer doesn't show anything newer than what you have, try using the Intel driver tool to find what they have.
    Assuming you have an Intel based unit. If not, that could be a problem sometimes.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  13. Wildhawk1

Wildhawk1 Member

Why not the 100...? Here's why IMHO.

With the proprietary footswitch needed it's double the price of the 50.

If a person absolutely needs a line out and doesn't want to spend a few bucks and a hour to mod the 50 then I guess it's worth the extra $200.

Other than that 50 vs. 100 in the volume department is minimal and unless a person is playing very large venues I wouldn't want either close to dimed next to me on stage.

Most local giggers do fine with only one or two channels on their amps.

With the recent software update the 50 now has four slots you can save to which matches what the 100 originally shipped with. Any cheap standard 1/4" footswitch works with the 50 to go between two channels.

I could go on but the 50 is a steal and I've had no regret not picking the 100 playing local gigs this year.

To those that worry about loud drummers. The 50 easily keeps up til they learn to play correctly. :mad:

stratohiker and beagle like this.
  14. Scatabrain

Scatabrain Member

Ah but you missed the 50 is missing the effects loop and the 100 has a better sounding speaker. I would not want to do without the GA/FC foot controller and a mod would void the warranty. I think the 100 is still a bargain. The 50 has its place. But the 100 is the perfect spot between affordable and features.

idgolfguy, stratohiker and berumen77 like this.
  15. Wildhawk1

Wildhawk1 Member

I agree the 100 is a steal also its simply the 50 offers almost everything for half price and offers what most local gunslinger need.

Effects loop? Simplify your life...lol.

I ditched the tap dancing years ago.

Built in verb, delay, chorus, boost, etc get me through the weekend.

Still have a Bad Monkey somewhere collecting dust. :)

stratohiker and beagle like this.
  16. Scatabrain

Scatabrain Member

Yeah I hear you. But with the effects mode on Ga/fc I can get more from each patch. In some songs I need to turn an effect on and off. Also, a single patch can cover more songs this way. That’s not tap dancing for me, it’s using less patches for more songs. Cutting down to 2 (or bank up to 2 more - which is toe tapping) is just too limiting. FWIW: I use the effects loop as a boost, not for more pedals.

stratohiker likes this.
  17. gustavz

gustavz Member

you can easily solve this, by setting the spring sense very low. High levels of spring sense does'nt sound good.

berumen77 likes this.
  18. frthib

frthib Member

I confirm it... I have that bug too. It's worsened if you use analog delay

berumen77 likes this.
  19. Fasthand

Fasthand Member

also with the Boss FS7 foot switch you have access to all 4 slots with the tap of a toe, I have the Kat 50 with the Boss FS7 pedal and use a Earth Quaker Dunes pedal for my OD which is giving me multiple options to use effects I've never bothered with prior like combinations of chorus/phase/delays, etc, I have rediscovered Billy Duffy recently, and my rig works nicely, all with out touching BTS

20. Bob_E

Bob_E Member

A Katana 50 and a GT-1 are the same price as a Katana 100 and GA-FC :D

Wildhawk1 likes this.