BOSS KATANA 刀 amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by john lan, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Scatabrain

Scatabrain Member

I have admiration for the 50. But there are countless posts in this thread about those who regret not getting the 100 not knowing what the differences are.

2. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

Yes, but I was hoping to be able to combine the effects more than is possible on the Katana. Would also need always-on reverb but I am working on that with the new second delay setting. Thanks for your help.

3. Bobbyoso

Bobbyoso Member

Depends on the music you're playing, and individual taste. I have owned, used, abused, gigged, and recorded the K50 for ~9 months now, and for clean tones, I would've actually REPLACED the K100 speaker with the K50 speaker if I'd bought a K100. Detailed, reedy, more open, and much, much more responsive to subtle input than the K100s I've used. But the most gain I've ever used has been the Crunch channel @ 25%; I can see how rock/metal players would like the K100 speaker. Also, my K50 has been ridden hard and put up wet, I use it at least weekly with a raging swing/funk/latin horn band, so the speaker has really taken a beating, with both the channel and master volumes run @70-75% up. It's both very loud and very controlled at that level, I cannot imagine ever needing another 50 watts--and the Clean channel gain, again, is only at 25%

But if you just assume "larger magnet equals better tone", depending on what you like/need, you could be disappointed. The K50 is an astonishingly great clean amp, easily better than 80% of stuff out there that is 3x the weight and up to 10x the price. Listen and feel with your ears and hands. If you can't do it really well on a Katana, you don't need anything "better" anyway. And the K50 is actually better clean than the K100, IMO.

DonaldR, Scatabrain and Fasthand like this.
  4. vtgearhead

vtgearhead Silver Supporting Member

Under normal circumstances you can have only one of each pair active on a patch. Whatever you have chosen is what will be toggled.

JCW308 likes this.
  5. Marius47

Marius47 Member

So everyone I should be getting the 2x12 tomorrow . has anyone traded out one of the speakers for a different one ? I'm thinking of adding a swamp thang for low end. I psi mostly doom so I will be running fuzz in front. Do you think it will work?

6. Erjimipey

Erjimipey Member

There are different line out options and some of them sound significantly better than others. Go to your lower right on Tone Studio, System, then select Line Out and try the different air feels. There are 9 possible combinations, I believe. Watch this video by JB Aubry:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    BenoA likes this.
  7. pointblankpb10

pointblankpb10 Supporting Member

Thanks so much for that, that helped a lot. Blend mode works way better for me than live, which is what it was set to stock.

BenoA and Erjimipey like this.
  8. vintagefox

vintagefox Member

I was thinking about picking this amp up. How good are the cleans?

9. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

Pretty good.

TheMinion likes this.
  10. The Interceptor

The Interceptor Member

I am pretty happy with V2 firmware (now at 2.02) but I have one problem. I can't seem to get Delay 2 working (i.e. the one in the reverb slot). I got it to function on one out of my 8 patches but I am buggered if I can get it to fire up on the others. The reverb works fine but the delay won't come to life. If I clear the patch I think I can get it to work, but I shouldn't have to do that.

Apologies if this has been posted before, but has anyone come across this / solved this?

11. LPV

LPV Member

If anyone has a head and is trying to figure this out, the offset is -1. I had an issue in my code that prevented me from seeing it. After screwing around for a while I wrote a loop to cycle the PC requests from 1 on (duh, should have done that at the beginning) and noted what was happening. So setting an RX PC of 5 for channel 1 in tone studio means I need to send a PC of 4 to switch to channel 1. It works great. Zero lag between channels. I've got my switch set up so that I can do a bank A/B and I have access to all 8 channels. I'm coding in a Bank/Mode "C" so I can switch individual effects on and off. Planning to play around with some sysex calls later.

vtgearhead likes this.
  12. vtgearhead

vtgearhead Silver Supporting Member

Yes, because the MIDI API starts at 0 while most user-oriented documentation considers the first PC to be "1". Easy to get stung by this (applies to MIDI channel selection also).

Elantric and LPV like this.
  13. muzishun

muzishun Member

...to VERY good if you crank it! My head, master maxed, 100wt setting, clean channel gain at one o'clock, channel volume similar....I slowly creep the guitar vol up, fingerpicking for beast control and enjoy the monster for as long as I can get away with it!

Like 5 blissful minutes. Incredibly dynamic amp!!!!!

jalmer, Lution, vintagefox and 2 others like this.
  14. stratohiker

stratohiker Member

Nice, just crank that master 4 the best tone.

15. Wildhawk1

Wildhawk1 Member

16. Bobbyoso

Bobbyoso Member

Definitely! Interestingly, he says the K50 is at half volume--but he has both the channel and master vols @ 50%. 1/2 x 1/2 equals 1/4, or 25% of full volume. Now, I realize that sound pressure vs. watts is a log function, but in terms of power--isn't series channel volume and master volume multiplied (so 50% on each yields .5 * .5, or .25)? Or is there a more arcane relationship between the two?

17. frthib

frthib Member

That's what I tought also. 1/2 / 1/2 = 1/4. For me, 0.5watt with the master maxed and channel volume at half is already too loud for my home ... It's kinda like debating cars performance when they are speeding at 350 km/h. a very fun therorical debate ;)

soulman969, Bobbyoso and beagle like this.
  18. hdspringer98

hdspringer98 Supporting Member

Same issue here, especially w/Sneaky Amps. There doesn't appear to be a sneaky 2.0, someone posted a link to the TSL claiming it was sneaky 2.0 but the file date of the TSL that was linked was from April 2017 which predates the Katana update.

19. Ramboorider

Ramboorider Member

Yeah, I play only at .5 watts and keep the master dimed. But depending on what I'm playing, if I have up around 50% gain on the crunch or lead channel, I might have the channel volume down around 10 or less - i.e., just barely on at all. In the clean channel with low gain, I might have the volume up pretty high. But as long as I have the master up full, the amp always manages to sound good, even at the meager volumes that work in my condo...

-Ray

20. Davepitt11

Davepitt11 Member

Just added a Red Zen drive to my board. Tried it using the stock clean and the Sneaky Clean Twin and a Keeley Hooke Reverb (Kat 50, so reverb is in front of the amp, last in line of my pedals). Sounds great. The clean twin gets a little extra noise than the stock clean does, but I think it sounds a touch fuller.

Zalu likes this.