BOSS KATANA 刀 amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by john lan, Sep 9, 2016.

1. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

I think there's a bug in the new firmware. In the panel mode, with a computer connected, the "reverb+delay" setting does reverb only. However, in a saved slot, both reverb & delay work. Seems like reverb+delay should work in the panel mode with a computer connected...then you can save it in a slot.

Bob_E likes this.
  2. ainaGAS

ainaGAS Member

I had similar problem with 100/112. Did factory reset and now it seems to work but I haven’t used BTS since then.

3. The Interceptor

The Interceptor Member

I can get Delay2 to work if I clear the patch and start from scratch. That's fine if I want to use the standard amps. However if I want to use a sneaky amp (by dragging the patch across) that doesn't work, which is a problem because I really like the Marshall 1959I+II. However, somehow, I made the Delay2 work on the 1959 a couple of weeks ago and I can't remember how I did it!

So the challenge is to be able to use Delay2 with a sneaky amp.

Tried that, didn't work.

4. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

As others have posted, its very good.
    The stock clean works well as a platform for pedals.
    I own the Kat head.
    The key is using the "presence" knob: adjust it to your personal preference.

vintagefox likes this.
  5. =JL=

=JL= Member

On the subject of the Presence knob, does anyone else find it incredibly subtle, to the point where it doesn't really seem to be doing anything?

It's certainly nothing like the effect the Presence control has on a Marshall plexi for instance.

Steve Hotra and Bob_E like this.
  6. Scatabrain

Scatabrain Member

Yeah. I keep it all the way down. Often I can’t hear any difference. I was wondering if it was my diminished hearing.

Sencha likes this.
  7. LPV

LPV Member

The global eq is very powerful. Maybe yours has the high cut too low for the speaker or your personal taste.

8. BenoA

BenoA Member

9. BenoA

BenoA Member

Sorry for the double post on this. I was a few pages late and wanted to help. Thanks to @Erjimipey for posting my video!

Erjimipey likes this.
  10. LPV

LPV Member

Using FxFlooboard is it possible to save patches to the second bank of FW 2.x channels ? Just downloaded and haven't really had the chance to play with it.

11. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

Yes...I have to adjust it slightly each time, depending on the guitar / room I am playing in.
    Not a big issue for me.

12. Yeah

Yeah Member

Yeah the presence knob seems very subtle to me as well.

13. Sayuncledave

Sayuncledave Member

I know I'm late to the party, but I felt compelled to chime in. I just finished an hour-long trip to Katana love island. Still so happy with it. I realize that the guys with the hundred-watters (1-12, 2-12, head) have more, and I am truly glad for them. For myself, I am amazed at how much good tone I can get from a 200 dollar amp. ;)

14. gumtown

gumtown Member

Not directly, you can still save the Bank B channel patch by using the Panel Button on the Amp.

FW2 of FxFloorBoard development is still in progress, ironing out a few snags.

15. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I think the K50 has a lot or merit now with the V2 firmware.

Firstly, the loop wasn't as useful as I at first thought. Now you can actually use a boost/OD, EQ, delay and verb at the same time the loop is less essential (it's ok for a volume boost I guess). If you have Strymons and Eventides this may not be the right amp anyway. I also found the loop sucked a teenie bit of tone which I wasn't super keen on (even with just a 1' high quality patch cable in it). I likely wouldn't use the loop with the Katana V2 but who knows. Nice to have but not a must have with this amp anyway.

Secondly, the volume on the 50w setting was fine. It's plenty loud and you can always simply get a more efficient speaker which will make it just as loud as the 100watter...

Which brings me to the third point...the 50w speaker 'may' not be as good as the 100 but from my experience, the stock K100C speaker wasn't really where I'd personally want it either so with an 8ohm 100dB speaker of choice you'll be golden with loads more bottom end, far smoother top end and better quality (let's be honest, they only had so much money to throw at the speaker - it's definitely in the 'fine' category though).

It's also quite a lot cheaper. Food for thought anyway.

Fasthand and BenoA like this.
  16. Charvel_ strat_81

Charvel_ strat_81 Member

Just got the 50 watt last night and damn! are you kidding me?? Only $189 for this tone?
    best little amp i ever owned period! Love it!
    I found for the tone i like(old Modded Marshall) i like to dime the master and use the other volume for my overall levels. Sounds really,REALLY good!

17. Caaarrl94

Caaarrl94 Member

ive had my katana for a while and love it but not sure i'm getting the best out of it, so thought id come here to see what you guys think.

What is the consensus on how to get the best clean pedal platform tone?
    i want a nice warm , responsive, ever so slightly overdriven clean tone.
    do you set the gain and crank the master, then set the volume with the channel volume?
    or set the gain, crank the channel volume, and set the master ?

18. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

I love threads like this. So much time on TGP is spent sniffing corks (which is fine too), but it is refreshing to see almost 600 pages of love for a 200 dollar amp.

Mandrax, Jumi, Bobbyoso and 5 others like this.
  19. micycle

micycle Member

It's a great time to be a a frugal guitar player! Let the cork sniffers sniff... I love my Katana 2x12.

20. stratohiker

stratohiker Member

Well, I can't afford to be a cork sniffer......so, I'm just enjoying from the lower caste of TGP :)

milli vanilli likes this.