• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

BOSS KATANA 刀 amplifiers

Michel347

One year has past since I got this amp, spent no more than 2 hours in that year (because of the last update) with it plugged to a PC, mainly to set the channel/global EQ to suits my preferences and discovered how great was the internal Muff paired with the cruch channel (lots to discover there).

Yes I can say that I'm a Boss fan since the early 80's, used a lot of stuff from them, but regardless, this is the greatest piece of gear I got in my life. It makes me play more than I ever did and that's the goal. I don't own a tube amps anymore and I'm proud to say I own a Boss Katana, I found all the great tones I had in my head for years, no other amps aloud me to achieve this before.

Last edited:

Robotechnology

Gold Supporting Member
Used my K100 head w/ a DV Mark 1x12 cab for the 2nd time outside of my house last night. Had it on the 50 watt setting with the master volume at 10 o’clock. It cut through loud and especially clear this time (last time I had it at 3 o’clock in 0.5 watt mode). Amazing how much headroom is on tap playing with a live drummer. I’m going to lower the amp volumes on my 4 presets so I can use the Katana with the master volume at 3 o’clock instead of 9 o’clock for future use. The DV Mark cab deserves more mention as it incredulously hangs (more than actually!) with the other guitarist’s Marshall 1960A 4x12 (he uses a Carvin Legacy as his head). I have some pretty nice tube gear but, this setup is so lightweight plus it sounds better than any $300 amp has any right to. I’ll probably stick with this rig with the exception of whenever I play a gig where my amp’s “image” matters.

Last edited:

stratohiker

Silver Supporting Member
As far as the folks poo poo'n the Kat against tube amps.
Apples and oranges. Some peeps obviously are tired of the weight and sometime hassle of tube amps for gigs and such.
I still have a nice Brown Deluxe clone combo amp (with trannys that make it a 40 watt amp).
And, it's not goin' anywhere. Incidentally, with it's pine cab, it doesn't weigh that much more than the K100 1-12 Kat.
Eventually, when I get the foot switch and expression pedal thing goin'....why, then, I'll have 2 rigs at my disposal.
But, I love the Kat for practice, gigs where I don't feel like dragging the tube amp out, and .5 watt on the Kat for at the house playing, and finally.... thru the PC playing with the Kat.
Plus, it's just fun to monkey about with all the flexibility of sounds, tones, effects of the Kat Series.
If somebody wants to chuck all the tube amps away and go SS, so be it, their decision.

ksandvik

I didn't expect the Kat to sound like my Mesa Boogie. Then again I was surprised how good it sounds by itself. Suspect some are worried about the cheap gear taking the limelight from the expensive equipment purchased and invested in....

zoteboy

Hi everyone. First of all, sorry about my english.

I want to share with you my Fendery clean settings...I use the stock clean with a lil bit of tweak on Global EQ. I play it with a Strat at low volumen when I practise and I love it...I put the Natural Overdrive boost in front too. Sounds really good in my opinion.

Set up the Katana like this:
- Gain, volume, bass, mids, trebble and presence at noon (50)
- Global EQ 1: low gain 7 / Low-mid gain -5 / High-mid gain 2 / High Gain 2 / Level 3 / Low-mid freq 315hz / Low-mid Q 1 / High-mid freq 3.15kHz / High-mid Q 1
- Global EQ 2: flat, flat, amp out
- Natural overdrive: drive 68, tone 0, bottom 23, effect level 35 (the booster knob is on 30)

I have this and other presets in a Liveset here (more details: page 603 of this thread):

http://guitarpatches.com/patches.php?mode=show&unit=katana&ID=10371

But I share it typing the setting, because maybe someone prefers in that way.

Thanks!

Baileyboy1

Silver Supporting Member
FWIW... the DRRI fans on this thread really don't seem to care much for the Katana...

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/selling-my-drri-buying-a-katana.1891587/

Interesting thread. The OP wants to dump the DRRI for a Kat. That particular swap - Fender clean tube amp to Kat- would worry me.

When I got my Kat 100, it allowed me to sell a couple of tube amps (including a Marshall DSL40) because the Kat captures the tones I got out of those amps pretty well at all volume levels. I don’t miss those amps...

I have kept a Fender SuperSonic 60 and a Peavey Classic 30, though, because the Kat doesn’t really do the clean tones of those two amps (at least for me) in a way that would send those amps packing. It’s closer to getting some Classic 30 clean tones, but not quite (a strat into the C30 clean is Blues heaven to me). With these three amps, I get pretty much every tone that I personally want access to. For high gain tones, I have some Kat presets that I absolutely love. I sold a few high gain dirt pedals, too. Truth be told, the Kat gets at least 50% of my playing time.

I love how the DRRI thread has some posts referring to the Kat as ‘hype.’ There are users in this thread that gig regularly and love this amp, as do their audiences apparently. I don’t gig these days, but I’ve been playing for over 30 years and have played a lot of great amps. Bottom line at the end of the day is tone and utility. The Kat sounds great and has a lot of tone options. Versatile (and lightweight for gigging musicians) and does not break the bank...not too shabby.

Bought Kat100 new for $279. Sold two tubes amps, an acoustic amp, and some pedals (the pedals alone paid for the Kat with money to spare). Net gain of hundreds of dollars. What’s not to like? :aok

BenoA

I think that thread is generally pretty positive and realistic to be fair. Most people are implying that the Katana is a worthy amp for the money and a useful tool, but try and find a way to hang on to both.

At the price the Katana amps are sold, I don't understand why you would get rid of your other amp. Some boutique pedals out there are more expensive than the 100w combo.

ucnick

Silver Supporting Member
Interesting thread. The OP wants to dump the DRRI for a Kat. That particular swap - Fender clean tube amp to Kat- would worry me.

When I got my Kat 100, it allowed me to sell a couple of tube amps (including a Marshall DSL40) because the Kat captures the tones I got out of those amps pretty well at all volume levels. I don’t miss those amps...

I have kept a Fender SuperSonic 60 and a Peavey Classic 30, though, because the Kat doesn’t really do the clean tones of those two amps (at least for me) in a way that would send those amps packing. It’s closer to getting some Classic 30 clean tones, but not quite (a strat into the C30 clean is Blues heaven to me). With these three amps, I get pretty much every tone that I personally want access to. For high gain tones, I have some Kat presets that I absolutely love. I sold a few high gain dirt pedals, too. Truth be told, the Kat gets at least 50% of my playing time.

I love how the DRRI thread has some posts referring to the Kat as ‘hype.’ There are users in this thread that gig regularly and love this amp, as do their audiences apparently. I don’t gig these days, but I’ve been playing for over 30 years and have played a lot of great amps. Bottom line at the end of the day is tone and utility. The Kat sounds great and has a lot of tone options. Versatile (and lightweight for gigging musicians) and does not break the bank...not too shabby.

Bought Kat100 new for $279. Sold two tubes amps, an acoustic amp, and some pedals (the pedals alone paid for the Kat with money to spare). Net gain of hundreds of dollars. What’s not to like? :aok

I agree. For ~$300 the Kat100 is a great option, and he should keep the DRRI.

I still have a few tube amps - Marshall DSL-40C, Mesa Express 5-50 + combo, and a little class A 1/2 watt tube combo with 8 in speaker I designed and built from scratch, which is my pedal test platform, it takes them really well, no tone stack and two adjustable gain stages. However, with the bands I'm in, I'm pretty much all modeling nowadays, I have an arthritic hip and cannot carry anything more than about 40 lbs without pain. I typically use a Fractal AX8 into a Quilter Micropro Mach 2 12 inch combo, which works really good and is light. The Katanas are great and get me 95% of the way there and give some really good tones, although there is something slightly missing in the harmonics during solos that the tubes provide, but it is plenty good enough for me. And I paid $295 for an open box from Sweetwater. I love that amp!:D I bought the head too...:beer

My bands are cover & jam type bands, so depending upon the situation I either bring the Fractal rig or the Katana. Hence the picture above. I play the tube amps only at home anymore. Although I did just order a Demeter TGA-1 amp head, with a little 1x12 cab it sounds like something to try with the Fractal...:cool:

Last edited:

Gregster

Gregster
See my posts on pgs 613 614 and this one. I just went through the same thing. In sbort you will have to update the firmware to get the tone studio to work.
Good luck.
James
I think the info needs updating for new amps

Thanks James for confirming that. One other thing I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to: if the power were to go out during the update could the amp be permanently corrupted and useless afterwards or could it be restored to factory settings using the normal procedure?

Greg

Elantric

Thanks James for confirming that. One other thing I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to: if the power were to go out during the update could the amp be permanently corrupted and useless afterwards or could it be restored to factory settings using the normal procedure?

Greg
Correct

it might brick if you loose power midway through a firmware update

M

Member 20177

I just did a side by side with my modded out PV C30. I figured that would be a cool comparison as the c30 isn't a top of the food chain type amp. Katana does well against it but for feel and harmonics the c30 is better. The c30 also has a fullness that the Katana slightly lacks even when the Katana has more bass and mods dialed in. Katana is still a good sounding amp. I wouldn't hesitate to gig it, especially if I knew I had to do a low stage volume... it would probably be better for that. Mine's a 100 combo btw.

iceman823

Quick question: Does the volume control next to the gain (not master) have any effect on the tone or is it simply a loudness control for preset leveling? Wasn't sure if it was meant to mimic a tube amp's master volume (higher settings = power tube breakup/compression). With that in mind, do you guys prefer the volume up high? Looking for advice on how to approach this control.

Thanks!

stratohiker

Silver Supporting Member
I keep 'em both as high up as I can get away with for the situation. Which, with the power mode settings, is pretty much achievable at all times ;-)
To me, it sounds "fuller" but, prob. the nature of how things sound "better" louder to guitar players in general :)

ksandvik

Quick question: Does the volume control next to the gain (not master) have any effect on the tone or is it simply a loudness control for preset leveling? Wasn't sure if it was meant to mimic a tube amp's master volume (higher settings = power tube breakup/compression). With that in mind, do you guys prefer the volume up high? Looking for advice on how to approach this control.

Thanks!
The power scaling is very neutral so it sounds the same across most volume levels, with the exception of the human ear hearing frequencies differently based on loudness levels of course.
This makes the Katana a nice amp for gigging, for my tube amps I really need the master up far too high for certain gigs where loudness has to be controlled.

soulman969

At the price the Katana amps are sold, I don't understand why you would get rid of your other amp. Some boutique pedals out there are more expensive than the 100w combo.

I'd agree. The Katana is a great amp in itself but not any different than many others in what it does very well vs what some other amp may do better and vice versa. It has it's role to play just as a Marshall Stack has it's role or a Twin Reverb, or a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, etc., etc., etc.

I didn't sell my Tweaker to buy a Katana because there are thing I do like more about the Tweaker and it's chameleon nature as well. Beside they make a powerhouse pairing with the Tweaker running in it's AC/Vox settings combining with the brighter more present tone of the Katana.

If someone is looking for a cheap and easy way to pull off instant Fender BF without delving deeper into the TS or Sneaky Amps try a Tech 21 Blonde or JOYO American Sound in your signal chain. Obviously the JOYO version is much less expensive but both sound quite similar.

My 15w Tweaker is a single channel head which I normally keep in the AC/Vox settings but by running an American Sound in my signal chain I can kick it into Fender BF mode with the pedal alone instead of changing amp settings. In this way it functions more like a dual channel amp and it will do the same with the Katana. Between the Katana tone stack and the pedals EQ and voicing there is variety of Fender like tonality on tap ranging from BF to Tweed and the pedal runs $40 or less. Just another option for very little money.

Top Bottom