1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

BOSS KATANA 刀 amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by john lan, Sep 9, 2016.

1. mista335

mista335 Member

2.02 is just bug fixes.

KeLynne and Pastafarian like this.
  2. zoteboy

zoteboy Member

Hi everyone. First of all, sorry about my english.

I want to share with you my Fendery clean settings...I use the stock clean with a lil bit of tweak on Global EQ. I play it with a Strat at low volumen when I practise and I love it...I put the Natural Overdrive boost in front too. Sounds really good in my opinion.

Set up the Katana like this:
    - Gain, volume, bass, mids, trebble and presence at noon (50)
    - Global EQ 1: low gain 7 / Low-mid gain -5 / High-mid gain 2 / High Gain 2 / Level 3 / Low-mid freq 315hz / Low-mid Q 1 / High-mid freq 3.15kHz / High-mid Q 1
    - Global EQ 2: flat, flat, amp out
    - Natural overdrive: drive 68, tone 0, bottom 23, effect level 35 (the booster knob is on 30)

I have this and other presets in a Liveset here (more details: page 603 of this thread):

http://guitarpatches.com/patches.php?mode=show&unit=katana&ID=10371

But I share it typing the setting, because maybe someone prefers in that way.

Thanks!

3. Baileyboy1

Baileyboy1 Member

Interesting thread. The OP wants to dump the DRRI for a Kat. That particular swap - Fender clean tube amp to Kat- would worry me.

When I got my Kat 100, it allowed me to sell a couple of tube amps (including a Marshall DSL40) because the Kat captures the tones I got out of those amps pretty well at all volume levels. I don’t miss those amps...

I have kept a Fender SuperSonic 60 and a Peavey Classic 30, though, because the Kat doesn’t really do the clean tones of those two amps (at least for me) in a way that would send those amps packing. It’s closer to getting some Classic 30 clean tones, but not quite (a strat into the C30 clean is Blues heaven to me). With these three amps, I get pretty much every tone that I personally want access to. For high gain tones, I have some Kat presets that I absolutely love. I sold a few high gain dirt pedals, too. Truth be told, the Kat gets at least 50% of my playing time.

I love how the DRRI thread has some posts referring to the Kat as ‘hype.’ There are users in this thread that gig regularly and love this amp, as do their audiences apparently. I don’t gig these days, but I’ve been playing for over 30 years and have played a lot of great amps. Bottom line at the end of the day is tone and utility. The Kat sounds great and has a lot of tone options. Versatile (and lightweight for gigging musicians) and does not break the bank...not too shabby.

Bought Kat100 new for $279. Sold two tubes amps, an acoustic amp, and some pedals (the pedals alone paid for the Kat with money to spare). Net gain of hundreds of dollars. What’s not to like? :aok

stratohiker likes this.
  4. =JL=

=JL= Member

BenoA likes this.
  5. BenoA

BenoA Member

At the price the Katana amps are sold, I don't understand why you would get rid of your other amp. Some boutique pedals out there are more expensive than the 100w combo.

6. ucnick

ucnick Supporting Member

I agree. For ~$300 the Kat100 is a great option, and he should keep the DRRI.

I still have a few tube amps - Marshall DSL-40C, Mesa Express 5-50 + combo, and a little class A 1/2 watt tube combo with 8 in speaker I designed and built from scratch, which is my pedal test platform, it takes them really well, no tone stack and two adjustable gain stages. However, with the bands I'm in, I'm pretty much all modeling nowadays, I have an arthritic hip and cannot carry anything more than about 40 lbs without pain. I typically use a Fractal AX8 into a Quilter Micropro Mach 2 12 inch combo, which works really good and is light. The Katanas are great and get me 95% of the way there and give some really good tones, although there is something slightly missing in the harmonics during solos that the tubes provide, but it is plenty good enough for me. And I paid $295 for an open box from Sweetwater. I love that amp!:D I bought the head too...:beer

My bands are cover & jam type bands, so depending upon the situation I either bring the Fractal rig or the Katana. Hence the picture above. I play the tube amps only at home anymore. Although I did just order a Demeter TGA-1 amp head, with a little 1x12 cab it sounds like something to try with the Fractal...:cool:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    soulman969 likes this.
  7. Gregster

Gregster Member

Thanks James for confirming that. One other thing I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to: if the power were to go out during the update could the amp be permanently corrupted and useless afterwards or could it be restored to factory settings using the normal procedure?

Greg

8. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

Correct

it might brick if you loose power midway through a firmware update

9. NoBrakes

NoBrakes Member

I just did a side by side with my modded out PV C30. I figured that would be a cool comparison as the c30 isn't a top of the food chain type amp. Katana does well against it but for feel and harmonics the c30 is better. The c30 also has a fullness that the Katana slightly lacks even when the Katana has more bass and mods dialed in. Katana is still a good sounding amp. I wouldn't hesitate to gig it, especially if I knew I had to do a low stage volume... it would probably be better for that. Mine's a 100 combo btw.

10. iceman823

iceman823 Member

Quick question: Does the volume control next to the gain (not master) have any effect on the tone or is it simply a loudness control for preset leveling? Wasn't sure if it was meant to mimic a tube amp's master volume (higher settings = power tube breakup/compression). With that in mind, do you guys prefer the volume up high? Looking for advice on how to approach this control.

Thanks!

11. stratohiker

stratohiker Member

I keep 'em both as high up as I can get away with for the situation. Which, with the power mode settings, is pretty much achievable at all times ;-)
    To me, it sounds "fuller" but, prob. the nature of how things sound "better" louder to guitar players in general :)

Bob_E and Elantric like this.
  12. ksandvik

ksandvik Member

The power scaling is very neutral so it sounds the same across most volume levels, with the exception of the human ear hearing frequencies differently based on loudness levels of course.
    This makes the Katana a nice amp for gigging, for my tube amps I really need the master up far too high for certain gigs where loudness has to be controlled.

13. soulman969

soulman969 Member

I'd agree. The Katana is a great amp in itself but not any different than many others in what it does very well vs what some other amp may do better and vice versa. It has it's role to play just as a Marshall Stack has it's role or a Twin Reverb, or a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, etc., etc., etc.

I didn't sell my Tweaker to buy a Katana because there are thing I do like more about the Tweaker and it's chameleon nature as well. Beside they make a powerhouse pairing with the Tweaker running in it's AC/Vox settings combining with the brighter more present tone of the Katana.

If someone is looking for a cheap and easy way to pull off instant Fender BF without delving deeper into the TS or Sneaky Amps try a Tech 21 Blonde or JOYO American Sound in your signal chain. Obviously the JOYO version is much less expensive but both sound quite similar.

My 15w Tweaker is a single channel head which I normally keep in the AC/Vox settings but by running an American Sound in my signal chain I can kick it into Fender BF mode with the pedal alone instead of changing amp settings. In this way it functions more like a dual channel amp and it will do the same with the Katana. Between the Katana tone stack and the pedals EQ and voicing there is variety of Fender like tonality on tap ranging from BF to Tweed and the pedal runs $40 or less. Just another option for very little money.

BenoA and Elantric like this.
  14. BenoA

BenoA Member

KeLynne and Pastafarian like this.
  15. muzishun

muzishun Member

16. BenoA

BenoA Member

Not at all... Just offering some help. ;)

17. muzishun

muzishun Member

There's a backlash a brewin'. :mob

;)

ucnick likes this.
  18. iceman823

iceman823 Member

Another question. But first, the problem:

My biggest gripe with the Katana is that when you alter a default advanced parameter in the computer editor on a boost or delay/verb etc... then turn the fx off then back on, it goes back to the default. This is very annoying especially with the "low" control in the boost block. It defaults to a very high value (23 I think). To deal with this I've created presets with the boost effect already on, but when you turn it off and back on it returns to the default values.

So the question is...with the footswitch, can you program the boosts, delays, reverbs etc... with the advanced parameters you want, then use the footswitch to turn them on and off WITHOUT them returning to the default values?

I'm speaking specifically about the GA-FC controller.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  19. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

I use BTS for Katana and create and program and store my 8 Amp CH presets in my Katana 100 , and using the GA-FC foot controler for each preset, I can toggle the on/off the specific FX I assigned to each preset. Each effect remains exactly as what I stored in the preset - does not go back the factory default for me ( because I saved my Boss Tone Studio editing efforts into one of the 8 available Amp CH presets

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    beagle, ucnick and BenoA like this.
  20. iceman823

iceman823 Member

Okay thanks!!