BOSS KATANA 刀 amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by john lan, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    Pardon me if this has already been covered, I did a search and couldn't find an answer.

I just a got a new Katana head. Everything is updated to latest firmware. I cannot get Boss Tone Studio to connect with the Katana. I just keep getting a Katana connection failure, and the window opens where I choose the midi/audio connections. If I can't get Tone Studio to work, this thing is completely useless to me and it's getting returned. I've spent an hour now messing around with it trying to get it to work....and hour I could've been playing guitar.

2. KeLynne

KeLynne Member

I had this issue out of the blue last week. I fixed it by reinstalling the katana drivers and *restarting my Mac.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  3. Noise Under The Floor

I've done that too, several times. Still doing it. :mad:

4. KeLynne

KeLynne Member

Mac or PC? If Mac, Maybe try refreshing the usb hubs via the system information window. About This Mac->Overview->System Report->USB then press “command R”.

5. Noise Under The Floor

No, it's a PC.

6. KeLynne

KeLynne Member

Ok @Noise Under The Floor try this

Click Start, select Run
    Type in devmgmt.msc
    Click Ok
    In Device Manager select you’re computer so it is highlighted
    Click Action
    Click Scan for hardware changes.

7. Noise Under The Floor

Tried it, doesn't solve the issue. Thanks for your help though.

8. ninjaaron

ninjaaron Member

Maybe I'll try that...

9. Zezozose

Zezozose Member

As the speaker out/rec out is placed after the power amp the solution may be to do what the following poster did:

10. BenoA

BenoA Member

Check in the video details of one of my youtube clip. It's all there.

doug941 likes this.
  11. Garrus

Garrus Member

Which version of Windows are you using?
    And what is the make and model of your PC? (Or motherboard model, if your PC is custom-built).

I had the exact same problem with Windows 10 version 1703. I've got the Katana 100 1x12 combo.
    My PC's got a Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H motherboard (with an Intel Core i5 4690 CPU and 8 GB of RAM, although I don't think it matters), and Windows 10 Home 64-bit.
    I had the same problem on another computer, with an Asus P5N-E SLI motherboard (Core 2 Duo E6750, 4 GB of RAM) and Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (version 1703).
    However it worked on an HP Pavilion Sleekbook 15 with a Core i5 3317U (and 6 GB of RAM) and Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 1703 as well.
    I also noticed that when I installed Windows 7 (Home Premium, 64-bit) on a separate HDD in my PC (the one with the GA-H97M-D3H motherboard), it worked fine.
    And, as soon as my PC received the Fall Creators Update (which is version 1709), it started working.

So, it seems to be a software problem.
    Maybe there's a compatibility problem between the xHCI driver from Microsoft and some USB controllers. I noticed that the xHCI driver got updated with the Fall Creators Update.

So, if you're on Windows 10 version 1703, maybe you should wait until you receive the Fall Creators Update (1709).
    You can force Windows to upgrade if you really want to, but I wouldn't recommend it: another user did that earlier in this thread, and he encountered some issues.

stratohiker likes this.
  12. Noise Under The Floor

HP, Windows 7. I'm in a guitar forum, having to worry about motherboards, processors, windows, etc :facepalm I just want to play guitar and enjoy my gear without having to worry about that kind of stuff in order to fully use it.

jens5, muzishun, Bob_E and 2 others like this.
  13. stratohiker

stratohiker Supporting Member

When you are dealing with the interfacing of a computer/LT with hardware/software.........well, there can be "fun" sometimes.
    Recently, I had a helluva time getting a lowly POD XT to interface properly with a Dell Vostro with an i5 CPU and Win 10 Pro to have it work the way an old HP with an old Duo Core Intel did.
    And, as I mentioned earlier I do IT for a living.....So don't feel pregnant :p
    But from PC to PC you are dealing with different chipsets (that control the USB section of the motherboard), different audio chipsets as well.....and not to mention whatever the OS is doin' to the mix of things.
    Fortunately, my K100 1-12 worked right off the bat, and, even after I updated to the latest firmware.
    I have had some funky things with misc. aspects of the softwares (Boss and the Sneaky stuff). But, being in the IT biz, I'm pretty accepting of blips here and there.
    It really amazes me that Servers, PCs, switches, routers, firewalls, etc work as well as they do in my world, given the complexity of it all :eek:

KeLynne likes this.
  14. stratohiker

stratohiker Supporting Member

I would also add that going to 1709 hasn't been a big deal on any PC I've upgraded it to.
    Nothings perfect, but, I've only seen a few things happen post the update.....and nothing to do with the situation at hand here.
    And, I've seen it solve various issues on some PCs that it's either been pushed too, or that I've just manually made the update happen on.
    Here's the link to do that: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028685/windows-10-get-the-fall-creators-update
    Click on check your version first, to make sure you're on 1703, then click on Microsoft software download website, to kick the update......jump thru hoops from there.
    Just to be safe, make sure you have BUs of whatever's important on the PC you are updating.

15. ucnick

ucnick Supporting Member

Thanks will do!

BenoA likes this.
  16. KeLynne

KeLynne Member

But Is the rec out signal line level though?

17. Spray14

Spray14 Member

I just opened the box for my new katana 100 1x12.
    I went to the bose website to download the Tone Studio.
    It says to check my firmware version. When I do it doesnt quite match up with any of the indicator sequences for any of the versions Ive found. After holding TAP and powering up, no lights but when I go to .50 watt mode the Delay/FX indicator lights up as it should. But when I go to the 100 watt setting the Delay/FX isnt lit. My manual says version 2. Do I need to update before I install the Tone Studio?
    Thank you,
    James

18. BenoA

BenoA Member

@Spray14 this is how it should lit up:

19. KeLynne

KeLynne Member

20. Noise Under The Floor

Nope. I've even asked in several Boss user groups. No luck. Sucks. If I can't figure it out soon, it goes back. No point in having it if I can't fully use it.