• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

BOSS KATANA 刀 amplifiers

fr8_trane

Silver Supporting Member
Quick question: Does the volume control next to the gain (not master) have any effect on the tone or is it simply a loudness control for preset leveling? Wasn't sure if it was meant to mimic a tube amp's master volume (higher settings = power tube breakup/compression). With that in mind, do you guys prefer the volume up high? Looking for advice on how to approach this control.

Thanks!
Boss says for best sound and feel to keep both volumes as high as possible. That said I find the keeping master volume high is much more important for tube amp "feel" than the channel volume. I never want the MV to be below noon and preferably at 3:00 to max.

fr8_trane

Silver Supporting Member
The power scaling is very neutral so it sounds the same across most volume levels, with the exception of the human ear hearing frequencies differently based on loudness levels of course.
This makes the Katana a nice amp for gigging, for my tube amps I really need the master up far too high for certain gigs where loudness has to be controlled.
Boss has been quite clear that the master volume in particular is modeling power amp interaction (aka tube logic) and that there IS a difference with it turned up. I can hear and feel the difference. The amp is more dynamic with the MV cranked.

jens5

Gold Supporting Member
Don't be worried about this. The update is great and super easy to do via a USB cable. You will not be sitting around for hours. I found that I liked the direct tone much better and had some great use for the noise gate on the higher gain settings. It took me all of 1.3 minutes to update it. The Boss stuff is super easy to use. Enjoy a great combo and what a deal you got!
Thanks for the msg. and for trying to help.

Last edited:

soulman969

Just got a used, (like new) Katana 100 Combo for $150 for my student's use. After reading almost all 600 plus TGP pages,(think War and Peace),on this amp, I'm now convinced, I'll not be conecting this amp to a computer to update anything. Not going down that rabbit hole. If I need more tonal or modulation options, I'll use pedals! It's an amp! It's already got pre-sets, tone controls and effects. I'd rather play my instrument than dick around for hours on a computer with questionable update results and the possability of screwing something up. Already wasted my time reading 600 pages of, "how to."
That works too. First and foremost it's a guitar amp then it's a storage facility for many options.

Boss has been quite clear that the master volume in particular is modeling power amp interaction (aka tube logic) and that there IS a difference with it turned up. I can hear and feel the difference. The amp is more dynamic with the MV cranked.
I wouldn't say Boss have been that clear. Jeff did post this shortly after the amp came out, but with respect, the suggestion given rendered the amp useless in many scenarios, gunning the master AND the channel vol and using the gain to set volume? How would you balance across patches.

I was always dubious that Boss would make a mainstream budget (but AMAZING) amp that if you needed to play it at a specific volume for a venue or at home, then certain gain levels, saturation levels and tones in general would be impossible, because you are tied to having your Master Vol cranked in order to attain this mythical tube-emulation that only occurs at Mv levels over 75%.

For me, to simplify, the Chan Volumes are there to balance volumes between patches. Nothing more, and invaluable for gigging.
Power level selects what range the Master works in (quiet, louder, loudest). At 100W the MV is hair trigger and would make setting volumes at home impossible, hence the ability to reduce its operating range with this selector.
Master Vol simply sets the loudness (in decibels).

Any perceived improvement, for me at least, caused by having the master high is simply because by definition, its louder than when the master is low (stating the obvious), pushing more air, providing more detail in the tone through pure loudness. Not emulating a gunned power tube. I tested in detail last year for differences between channel high and master low, versus channel low and master high. Rule of thumb was if the amps overall loudness was higher, it sounded better, regardless of which controls you used to get there.

All that said, I do find differences in tone based on the power selection. But far from setting this low and gunning the master, I find that the Katana 100 performs better at 50W with the Master lower, compared to 0.5W and the Master high!!!

None of that matters at all, and its all totally my opinion in my usage, with my cloth ears. Its the best value, and most used and enjoyed piece of kit I have ever bought, same for most of us, so however we get to our own tone is irrelevant. But I always wince when people are told that they have to effectively ignore one of the key controls on the amp, as having it anything less than a certain level is not the way to tonal nirvana, and they simply must have it high.

RLD

Silver Supporting Member
Do you have any links to this declaration?
I hear it mentioned quite often but I can't perceive any difference so I run the channel volume high and use the master as, well...the master.
I do use the volume pedal effect after the amp so maybe that matters too?

h20man

Got a Katana 50 this week, the update and sneaky amps install was smooth and easy. So many great sounds to be had. Definitely the best bedroom/modeling amp I have ever heard and owned. Loving the MS1959 I with the treble boost kicked on.

Jkk

Silver Supporting Member
I just looked at the Katana editor, go to the system tab then to the midi settings tab.. There you can set the PC and CC numbers to whatever you want, then its just a matter of transmitting the correct PCs and CCs from the MS-3..
You will have to create patch in the MS-3 that transmits the correct messages when that MS-3 patch is selected..
Thanks again, Jeff.
Now I got it. Little bit learning still with assignments inside MS-3 patch (making also num 1-4 + currnum send midi commands) but midi patch succeeded well and I can now send Katana effects on/off messages from MS-3.
At this point I’m very pleased with different choices I can play with MS-3 and Katana.

MrTAteMyBalls

Do you have any links to this declaration?
I hear it mentioned quite often but I can't perceive any difference so I run the channel volume high and use the master as, well...the master.
I do use the volume pedal effect after the amp so maybe that matters too?

It doesn't make any difference. It's mostly snake oil. there isn't much, if any difference with the master low vs high.

=JL=

Ok, here are my Katana Global EQ settings. This makes for a great-sounding amp at home, with a kind of Blackface overall tonality. It's a little too "soft" for gigging in a twin guitar band or with a keyboard player, but it's fine in a guitar/bass/drums setup.

Before anyone dismisses that idea, I'm not claiming it's a substitute for a well-sorted mid-60s Deluxe, but it sits in a similar place in a mix, and lets you beat hell out of a single coil bridge pickup, with plenty of bite but no aural pain (my personal yardstick).

Low Cut and Low Gain are out of shot but set flat, and you'll notice it looks seriously scooped in the high mids, with a massive treble rolloff. Their decibel figures look extreme to me, if you cut those frequencies by that much on a guitar track in your DAW it would be unusable.

Just while I'm at it, here are my general purpose panel settings for gigging in a covers band with single coils, doing everything from the guitar in conjunction with a master volume pedal. I can get everything from loud clean to quiet overdrive with this single panel setting, and everything in between. Thanks to the Global EQ bass and middle can be somewhere near centred, and I have some treble left to play with for using humbuckers.

I can't be doing with channel switching onstage, getting the volume and EQ of four different patches balanced night after night with different venues, audiences and levels of band enthusiasm are nigh on impossible for me, so I just need a good guitar and a good amp, I'll do the rest.

mdrake34

I A/B'd the stock clean with the Bright Twin and got them close by dropping the mids to 9:00. Remember... the stock amps are based on Brit EL-34 amps so they have way more mids than fenders.
I run the mids at 9:00 on the stock clean, it doesn't sound like,a blackface but it's a pleasant clean and takes pedals better than the sneaky twin when I briefly messed with that model.

Scatabrain

I wouldn't say Boss have been that clear. Jeff did post this shortly after the amp came out, but with respect, the suggestion given rendered the amp useless in many scenarios, gunning the master AND the channel vol and using the gain to set volume? How would you balance across patches.

I was always dubious that Boss would make a mainstream budget (but AMAZING) amp that if you needed to play it at a specific volume for a venue or at home, then certain gain levels, saturation levels and tones in general would be impossible, because you are tied to having your Master Vol cranked in order to attain this mythical tube-emulation that only occurs at Mv levels over 75%.

For me, to simplify, the Chan Volumes are there to balance volumes between patches. Nothing more, and invaluable for gigging.
Power level selects what range the Master works in (quiet, louder, loudest). At 100W the MV is hair trigger and would make setting volumes at home impossible, hence the ability to reduce its operating range with this selector.
Master Vol simply sets the loudness (in decibels).

Any perceived improvement, for me at least, caused by having the master high is simply because by definition, its louder than when the master is low (stating the obvious), pushing more air, providing more detail in the tone through pure loudness. Not emulating a gunned power tube. I tested in detail last year for differences between channel high and master low, versus channel low and master high. Rule of thumb was if the amps overall loudness was higher, it sounded better, regardless of which controls you used to get there.

All that said, I do find differences in tone based on the power selection. But far from setting this low and gunning the master, I find that the Katana 100 performs better at 50W with the Master lower, compared to 0.5W and the Master high!!!

None of that matters at all, and its all totally my opinion in my usage, with my cloth ears. Its the best value, and most used and enjoyed piece of kit I have ever bought, same for most of us, so however we get to our own tone is irrelevant. But I always wince when people are told that they have to effectively ignore one of the key controls on the amp, as having it anything less than a certain level is not the way to tonal nirvana, and they simply must have it high.
Crank master, gun gain to taste. Channel volume to desired volume.

Prince Hazel

Newb question, I'm attempting to run the 1/4" output of my helix into the effects return of the Katana but not getting any sound. Any help?

Jeff Volume

Thanks again, Jeff.
Now I got it. Little bit learning still with assignments inside MS-3 patch (making also num 1-4 + currnum send midi commands) but midi patch succeeded well and I can now send Katana effects on/off messages from MS-3.
At this point I’m very pleased with different choices I can play with MS-3 and Katana.
Your welcome, glad you got it working.. The MS-3 is very powerful indeed and is a great combination to the Katana head..
I mostly just run my MS-3 into the Kats clean channel and let the MS-3 do everything else as far as effects and overdrives, which btw sounds fantastic.. this minimal approach works for me 99% of the time and makes things alot easier.

a1terrier

Hi All

Bit of a tech question
Had my 100watt Kat for 9 months now, really pleased with it, but it's developed a hiss when I play a note or strum a chord. It dies away with the sound of the guitar. Tried my other guitar, same problem. I was using a mains extension cable so I plugged straight into wall socket, and tried a different cable all with no success.

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

Scatabrain

Hi All

Bit of a tech question
Had my 100watt Kat for 9 months now, really pleased with it, but it's developed a hiss when I play a note or strum a chord. It dies away with the sound of the guitar. Tried my other guitar, same problem. I was using a mains extension cable so I plugged straight into wall socket, and tried a different cable all with no success.

Thanks
Are you using reverb when it happens? I believe one of the reverbs has a noise that can be easily dialed out.

Another thing I have weirdness with is the noise gate. I have better results with it low or off. That doesn't sound like your issue but who knows.

BGaucho

Hi All

Bit of a tech question

Thanks
Hello! I have noticed this same hiss and tried many adjustments until I discovered it was happening only while I had the USB cable connected to my computer.
I simply disconnected the cable and "voila", no more annoying hiss.
Please, tell me if that helped you!

Cheers!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom