BOSS KATANA 刀 amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by john lan, Sep 9, 2016.

1. KeLynne

KeLynne Member

Sorry if this seem some like a dumb question but have you changed the default audio input device in windows settings under the recording tab? I do know when I was having this issue, my Mac kept switching default input devices on me.

2. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    Yes, I did try that. That was actually mentioned in another forum I was looking on. It unfortunately didn't change anything for me.

3. madmarcus1960

madmarcus1960 Member

Just tried my new Katana head from Sweetwater Dealzone. It gotta be v2.0, no Terra delay, but Katana Floorboard lets me still move all the effect where ever I want.
    I've been using a Kemper since I got it this summer and by no means would i be ashamed to play out with the Katana. It's going into a PRS 2x12 Deep SE cab with a Eminence Wizard and Governor. It sounds huge.

muzishun, KeLynne and stratohiker like this.
  4. KeLynne

KeLynne Member

So ruling out refreshing the usb drivers, reinstalling both firmware and BTS, and checking the audio input in system settings, the only other thing I can think of is for you to uninstall and reinstall the usb controllers.

-Run devmgmt.msc
    -Expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
    -Right click every usb controller listed under “Universal Serial Bus controllers” and click Uninstall.
    Restart the computer.

The usb controllers will automatically be reinstalled. Maybe that may fix the problem if the firmware, sound settings, and BTS are all configured correctly.

Thiago Patrício and BenoA like this.
  5. madmarcus1960

madmarcus1960 Member

One thing I didn't mention, is that I couldn't get KatanaFloorboard to work properly and consistently until I moved it to a USB 2.0 hub and not my USB 3.0 hub. So much for backwards compatibility!:bkw
    Windows7/64

6. beagle

beagle Member

Windows had installed the wrong driver for my USB 3.0 port until I removed it manually. Once it had the right one it started recognising the Katana.

7. Bob_E

Bob_E Member

Sometimes I have to restart BTS a time or two before it will recognize my Katana.

8. madmarcus1960

madmarcus1960 Member

It wasn't that it didn't work with 3.0, it was intermittent. The USB 2.0, works every time and I have a USB hub of each on my laptop. I switch back and forth between the K-Floorboard and BTS. I'll use BTS to audition and K-Floorboard to tweak.
    If Boss was smart they would acknowledge the full functionality and support it. They'd knowingly have the most flexible/best sounding modelling combo on the market.

I love my Kemper and 2 Freidman ASM12s to death, but at 58, there is no F'n way I'm carting it in and out of my house.

The sound levels this head get to with the right cabinet are intimidating.

BenoA, Fasthand and Elantric like this.
  9. LPV

LPV Member

Played a couple of hours yesterday with the headphone out of my katana head. This is the best headphone guitar tone I have ever had. It would sound great direct to pa I’m sure.

MrTAteMyBalls, Erjimipey and BenoA like this.
  10. campfirehero

campfirehero Member

Anyone get the katana speaker cab shipped out yet? I ordered one with the MF 17%off, but got a backorder notice this morning...

11. rcl

rcl Member

Digging the GT1 and K100, just working on the details of integrating the two. Being able to edit at practice/live with the GT1 screen probably will end up meaning the GT1 into the loop though it might be interesting to go through the front end. Turned a broken boost pedal into a 2 button switch for the GT.

[​IMG]

KeLynne and Agent76 like this.
  12. Agent76

Agent76 Member

13. Joe Duarte

Joe Duarte Member

Liked my Kat 100 so much my kids are getting me the mini for Christmas. I know because I paid for it.

pagemore, KeLynne, Lution and 10 others like this.
  14. soulman969

soulman969 Member

One or two 1x12 cabs with Celestions V30s.

maxx77 and ironman28 like this.
  15. a1terrier

a1terrier Member

Love my Kat 1x100, use the acoustic channel nearly all the time with my Strat and get some fantastic sounds, clean and od.

Got a question tho, the stock speaker sounds fine but I have a Celestion
    V30 in another amp. Would a speaker swap make the Kat sound even better or just sound different. I understand the stock speaker was designed for the Kat.
    Also anyone have a guess at how many units Boss have sold world wide?

Thanks

16. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls Member

I would try it first and see with a makeshift speaker terminal adapter. I am not sure what I would gain with a speaker swap. I have a V30 loaded 1x12 sitting around that I am going to sell now. Whatever I didn't like about the stock speaker tone was fixed easily in the tone studio. but a quick trip to the hardware store would make it easy to test. I was considering an emi legend v12 to help tame the top end, but we decided it wasn't necessary.

After a few practices with this setup I am just blown away. for me, it is the perfect live rig.

aizenx likes this.
  17. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

Smoother high end, far more punch and fuller bottom end, better gain tones (still with excellent cleans). IMPO a V30 improved the amp noticeably even with a broken in stock speaker. An 8ohm V30 makes it louder as well. 16ohm is still as loud as the stock 8ohm unit (actually maybe 1dB louder).

18. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls Member

hmmmm maybe I should try it.

19. notyalcer

notyalcer Silver Supporting Member

Wondering if the amp sims in the GT-1 into the Kat loop return and then thru the Kat amplifier section and speaker have the same great feel and tone of the four built in amp types and/or the Sneaky Amps.

I am really thinking about getting the GT to use with my Kat 100. Would like to know more about your experience with this combination. Thanks.

20. Toby Krebs

Toby Krebs Member

My 1x12 cab with a V30 kills in my Kat 100 head.

muzishun and KeLynne like this.