BOSS KATANA 刀 amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by john lan, Sep 9, 2016.

1. notyalcer

notyalcer Supporting Member

Wondering if the amp sims in the GT-1 into the Kat loop return and then thru the Kat amplifier section and speaker have the same great feel and tone of the four built in amp types and/or the Sneaky Amps.

I am really thinking about getting the GT to use with my Kat 100. Would like to know more about your experience with this combination. Thanks.

2. Toby Krebs

Toby Krebs Member

My 1x12 cab with a V30 kills in my Kat 100 head.

muzishun and KeLynne like this.
  3. campfirehero

campfirehero Member

No boss katana cabs delivered yet??

4. RLD

RLD Member

You can move them but not all are saved in their positions after power down.

5. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

I suspect my actions here impacted the purchase decision for a few new owners as well ;)

Boss Katana Amps - FAQ

Gumtown wrote>

No it does not change any of the existing amp characters, the sneaky amps are an extra selection of amps hidden within the Katana, the standard knob panel amps are always there when the amp knob is used.

stratohiker likes this.
  6. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

this might help
    Katana - How to install the Firmware update, USB driver and Boss Tone Studio

Katana - USB Drivers

Katana Boss Knowledge Base articles

7. Sinster

Sinster Member

I haven't been able to get clarification from scanning the 613 previous pages of this thread. Most likely missed it after zoning out ..

I have the 50 and for example if I change the effects settings on the BROWN via Tone Studio and write it to the amp. Does the adjustments I made stay the same throughout the AMP Type I picked. For example if I use the Blues Drive and set my DRIVE to 12.. if I select CRUNCH and then select the Blues Drive are settings the same as the BROWN amp? Or is it individual? Or is it I can only use the 4 channels to save the presets. In others words I can't setup a custom sound for each amp settings? Once I tweak the effects to what I want and write. How do I start without them enabled? Lets say I have a clean channel and I use the T-Screamer. I dial in the tone I want and I write (Ch A-1) it to the amp. When I select clean the T-screamer is enabled, but I want to be able to have disabled until I enabled it. How do I go about doing this? Is that the function of the pedal? Where I can turn on/off without adjusting the knobs on the amp itself?

8. joeshmoe69

joeshmoe69 Member

Thanks Elantric for all of you awesome contributions to this knowledge base
    on these unbelievable Katana amps!!!

I have played for 37 years but only about 50 or so live gigs.

Ive built and owned a hand full of 60's Marshall clone amps.

Now I am a 99% at home player and the Katana 100 1x12 is the
    very best amp Ive ever had for this.

I want a Marshall lead/jcm800 early live Zep/AC/DC tone,
    this amp does an incredible job at giving me that tone!!!!!!

Then we have the GA-FC footswitch which lets me choose 9
    presets and effects on and off within each preset, that's great!!

When my cash loosens up I will try some cabs.

I am gonna wire in a speaker jack for that.

Jimmy

muzishun and beagle like this.
  9. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Supporting Member

That is the same setup I am running, I have a Mojotone 1x12 lite with an 8ohm V30. I just took it to band practice for the first time the other night and it sounds really good.

muzishun likes this.
  10. tcaron

tcaron Member

Sorry if this has been discussed but are many people having hardware failures with these amps, especially the head? My Kat head works great but am concerned over reliability. I have ordered a Quilter Micro Block as a backup but I would hate to have the head crap out on me. My settings, foot controller setup, etc. is perfect now. Love this amp with my Friedman Runt 112 cabinet.

Thanks,

Tom

11. frthib

frthib Member

Roland have generous warrantie if anything happens. There will be lemons like in all factory manufactured goods but if it works for a certain amount of time after the initial power, you're good for probably many years. Hence the generous warranty, accountants must have calculated the failure rate risk over time ;) It's based on a (vaguely) similar technology than those of the Cube series and they where very reliable.

soulman969 likes this.
  12. mfolet

mfolet Supporting Member

House of Guitars in Rochester NY just got some in today.

13. Spray14

Spray14 Member

Ok. I just did the firmware system check per BenoA replay on pg. 613. Passed witb reverb not lighting up. Installed USB driver adobe air and tone studio. When Tone studio fires up it gives me alert box to update latest firmare and two options. A download button as well as a work offline button. My system passed the test from the video posted. Isn't the work offline for when the amp isnt connected? I can't get the alert box to go away unless I click work offline.
    James

14. ksandvik

ksandvik Member

My Kat 100 Combo has been humping along in the back of my SUV to gigs the last 11.5 months -- no issues.

dellerton and soulman969 like this.
  15. Davepitt11

Davepitt11 Member

Watched the Andertons sound alike Bryan Adams/Keith Scott. Both guys used a Kat 100 and got great tones.

16. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Member

Funny discovery. Finally got around to pulling out this old Randall 2x12 cab I had to do a speaker swap and something told me to try it out with the Katana head first, and I am glad I did! It's a great match WITH the Jaguars in it. Was going to swap them out with a pair of Celestion G12h50's I had laying around but the Jaguars pair better with the Katana than the Webers in a Seismic cab that I was using. I didn't think this amp could sound much better than it already does but I'll be damned it sure does. Very chimey with no spikiness and good low mids with no woofiness at all even with the bass knob cranked on the crunch channel and it only sounds better and better the louder I go.

This Katana continues to blow my mind on how good it is.

soulman969, ucnick and muzishun like this.
  17. Jeff Volume

Jeff Volume Member

Im running an MS-3 into my Kat heads clean channel and the combination totally kicks ass.. plus its an excellent midi controller as well.

Pastafarian and ainaGAS like this.
  18. Spray14

Spray14 Member

I figured it out. The "how to tell which firmware version" videos are outdated. I have a new amp (< 1 week old - ver 2) and the indicators light up to pass the tests but I still had to update the firmware to get everything working. This despite the instructions not to update if your amp passes the tests.
    James

19. ainaGAS

ainaGAS Member

#metoo, and they really are great together!

P8t8r likes this.
  20. Berto1234

Berto1234 Member

Does anyone know what ohms the speaker is on the mini and what output jack i would need to turn off the internal speaker and send to a cab.