BOSS KATANA 刀 amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by john lan, Sep 9, 2016.

1. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls Member

It doesn't make any difference. It's mostly snake oil. there isn't much, if any difference with the master low vs high.

PBGas and =JL= like this.
  2. =JL=

=JL= Member

Ok, here are my Katana Global EQ settings. This makes for a great-sounding amp at home, with a kind of Blackface overall tonality. It's a little too "soft" for gigging in a twin guitar band or with a keyboard player, but it's fine in a guitar/bass/drums setup.

Before anyone dismisses that idea, I'm not claiming it's a substitute for a well-sorted mid-60s Deluxe, but it sits in a similar place in a mix, and lets you beat hell out of a single coil bridge pickup, with plenty of bite but no aural pain (my personal yardstick).

Low Cut and Low Gain are out of shot but set flat, and you'll notice it looks seriously scooped in the high mids, with a massive treble rolloff. Their decibel figures look extreme to me, if you cut those frequencies by that much on a guitar track in your DAW it would be unusable.

[​IMG]

Just while I'm at it, here are my general purpose panel settings for gigging in a covers band with single coils, doing everything from the guitar in conjunction with a master volume pedal. I can get everything from loud clean to quiet overdrive with this single panel setting, and everything in between. Thanks to the Global EQ bass and middle can be somewhere near centred, and I have some treble left to play with for using humbuckers.

I can't be doing with channel switching onstage, getting the volume and EQ of four different patches balanced night after night with different venues, audiences and levels of band enthusiasm are nigh on impossible for me, so I just need a good guitar and a good amp, I'll do the rest.

[​IMG]

3. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

I run the mids at 9:00 on the stock clean, it doesn't sound like,a blackface but it's a pleasant clean and takes pedals better than the sneaky twin when I briefly messed with that model.

4. Scatabrain

Scatabrain Supporting Member

Crank master, gun gain to taste. Channel volume to desired volume.

Joe Duarte likes this.
  5. Prince Hazel

Prince Hazel Member

Newb question, I'm attempting to run the 1/4" output of my helix into the effects return of the Katana but not getting any sound. Any help?

6. BenoA

BenoA Member

Go in Boss Tone Studio and set to "on" your FX loop. What version of firmware are you running?

Prince Hazel likes this.
  7. Jeff Volume

Jeff Volume Member

Your welcome, glad you got it working.. The MS-3 is very powerful indeed and is a great combination to the Katana head..
    I mostly just run my MS-3 into the Kats clean channel and let the MS-3 do everything else as far as effects and overdrives, which btw sounds fantastic.. this minimal approach works for me 99% of the time and makes things alot easier.

ainaGAS likes this.
  8. Prince Hazel

Prince Hazel Member

Will try that, I'm updated to the latest

9. gumtown

gumtown Member

After set "on" then save each Channel to the Katana that is going to use the S/R Loop.

Prince Hazel and BenoA like this.
  10. a1terrier

a1terrier Member

Hi All

Bit of a tech question
    Had my 100watt Kat for 9 months now, really pleased with it, but it's developed a hiss when I play a note or strum a chord. It dies away with the sound of the guitar. Tried my other guitar, same problem. I was using a mains extension cable so I plugged straight into wall socket, and tried a different cable all with no success.

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

11. Scatabrain

Scatabrain Supporting Member

Are you using reverb when it happens? I believe one of the reverbs has a noise that can be easily dialed out.

Another thing I have weirdness with is the noise gate. I have better results with it low or off. That doesn't sound like your issue but who knows.

12. BGaucho

BGaucho Member

Hello! I have noticed this same hiss and tried many adjustments until I discovered it was happening only while I had the USB cable connected to my computer.
    I simply disconnected the cable and "voila", no more annoying hiss.
    Please, tell me if that helped you!

Cheers!

13. a1terrier

a1terrier Member

Thanks for replies, just tried without usb cable and no reverb but it's still there, it's worse on the four A channels. Think I'll email Roland support and see what they say, maybe a factory reset wil work.
    Thanks again,

14. a1terrier

a1terrier Member

Sorted! Did a factory reset after saving my amp presets to library part of tone studio. Just copied them back and no hiss. Happy bunny

Scatabrain likes this.
  15. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I've read it in this thread and others... straight from Boss reps. For instance:

The Tube-Logic portion of both amps [Katana and Blues Cube] is basically the same. But there are some differences worth noting. The first is simply sonic choice of the amp set. For example: A Blues Cube Artist starts with a sound set based on more of an American 6L6 design. The Katana leans more towards EL34's. The next major difference is in the hardware. The Blues Cube series is a discrete class A/B design and the Katana is an IC class A/B design. The physical power amps for both are class A/B and both dynamically interact with the live speaker as do tube amps.

Tube-Logic is about capturing the experience and sound of vintage transformers, power tubes, phases inverters and that whole dynamic power amp thing tube amps do.

Jeff S.

Jeff Slingluff
    BOSS & Roland Guitar Products Manager U.S.

But don't take my word or his word for it. Do this simple test with slightly crunchy tone:

1) Channel Volume cranked with MV set low
    2) MV Cranked with channel volume set to the same perceived loudness at the first tone

The first tone sounds alot more flat and compressed to me. The second is much more dynamic and punchy.

I dont hear much change in tone but the difference in feel is noticeable... to me at least.

VaughnC and Joe Duarte like this.
  16. RLD

RLD Member

Nowhere in that quote does it say anything about where the master or channel knobs should be...that is what I was asking about.
    I have tried it both ways numerous time...personally I like the channel knob all the way up and then use the master for overall volume.
    That makes more sense to me.

PlexiFuzz likes this.
  17. Davepitt11

Davepitt11 Member

I tried these settings recently and really liked them. Thanks for sharing.

zoteboy likes this.
  18. Bob_E

Bob_E Member

Check out post #554 and #836 of this thread.

19. Wildhawk1

Wildhawk1 Member

Any one button footswitch works. There's always tons of them in GC'S used section online or a local shop may have a beater floating around for $10.

It's one reason I like the 50. The 100 with dedicated footswitch makes the unit twice the price. It's a reason I've criticized amps like Vyper and Spider.

There's plenty of home and gigging musicians like me that do just fine with two channels for the night. Not interested in spending ridiculous money to achieve channel switching.

Others have mentioned the tech rabbit hole people willingly jump down.

The beauty of Katana is simplicity. Sure you can spend hours tweaking but for many it's perfect out of the box.

20. RLD

RLD Member

Thanks for that...I checked them out and it's somewhat confusing...for instance the response to this question "Do you recommend using the volume to affect "power amp distortion" and fine tuning with the master volume?"
    is the first quote, which is different from the other quote below.
    No worries, I suggest people try both and use what works best for them.