1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

BOSS KATANA 刀 amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by john lan, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Scatabrain

Scatabrain Supporting Member

Always crank master. Adjust Power selecter for volume and match patches with channel volume.

maxx77, Elantric and VaughnC like this.
  2. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

So I set my "clean" patches in both my A and B banks with the bright combo crunch, and I'm happier with it than the stock clean setting. It's definitely got that brighter, spankier sound of a blackface amp.

3. DutchGuitarDude

DutchGuitarDude Member

Guys pls help me decide if the katana is for me. I just sold my HRDX3. Too boomy, too much highs. 1 night it sounds great, the other night it sounds crap. I just need a good strong reliable clean channel with verb.
    I'm using a pedalboard in front.

Is the katana 100 for me or do I need something like a peavey bandit?

Any suggestion is welcome.

4. Redrum

Redrum Member

I have the 100 1x12 combo and mostly play my pedal boards into the clean channel. Out of the box, the clean channel of the Katana sounds very nice and with a few EQ tweaks and a little reverb dialed-in, makes a really functional pedal platform. I like to keep both the clean channel and Master volumes maxed and adjust the gain to taste on the 50 watt power setting. This roughly gets me where I want to be in our band mix and at those levels I can still have a nice, powerful clean tone to work with which is what I need. All other effects are adjusted from my pedal boards and plugged straight into the front of the amp. It's an easy, quick set-up that just plain works. Totally dependable and you can easily scale the clean volume to the room with the channel volume.

I also run the line out into a Barber Launch Pad as a balanced D.I. and straight into the P.A./mixer when needed. The line out is pretty weak though and you really need some type of D.I. to get the levels where you need them. It's nice to have that added control with the line out.

So yeah, in my experience the Katana makes a great clean pedal platform.

5. LeftyGuitarist

LeftyGuitarist Member

HELP!!! I'm trying to do the update process. I downloaded the 2.02 file, held down CH1 and Panel buttons (the CH! & CH2 lights flashed), and then plugged in my USB cable. The BOSS_KATANA icon never appeared on my screen. The CH1 & CH2 lights are solid but the Panel button is flashing. The instructions don't say the Panel light should be flashing.

I'm afraid to turn it off to try again because I don't want to damage the firmware.
    ---------------------------------
    Nevermind! It opened a system folder instead of adding an icon to my desktop. Update succesful!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  6. DutchGuitarDude

DutchGuitarDude Member

Thx for the elaborate answer!

7. Redrum

Redrum Member

Yeah, a little long-winded there but you get the idea!

DutchGuitarDude likes this.
  8. DutchGuitarDude

DutchGuitarDude Member

Been listening whole evening to demo's. It's driving me crazy. 95% of the demo's just sound really good! There is one from James ryan with clean and low gain. Really fantastic. I think I'm buying!

Scatabrain likes this.
  9. gumtown

gumtown Member

A Katana ICON won't magically appear, you have to look for it as a memory drive from your Explorer and open it to place the two firmware files into.

Elantric and LeftyGuitarist like this.
  10. LeftyGuitarist

LeftyGuitarist Member

Okay! Now when I open Tone Studio, it says I need to update my driver, but when I try to update my driver, it says the driver is already installed. I know the cable works because I used it to do the firmware update. Did anyone else have this problem?

11. Scatabrain

Scatabrain Supporting Member

Yeah James Ryan is a great player and has probably sold a ton of these amps.

DutchGuitarDude likes this.
  12. gumtown

gumtown Member

That usually means you need to update your Katana firmware to the latest 2.02 version for the driver to recognise the Katana.

If just the driver needs updating, then you must "UNINSTALL" the previous Katana driver.

Elantric likes this.
  13. LeftyGuitarist

LeftyGuitarist Member

I just updated to 2.02 so I'll try uninstalling the driver.

14. The Interceptor

The Interceptor Member

I used to have a HRD (the one before the 3...presumably a 2?) and I had a Peavey Bandit. I'll take my Katana 112 over either. With the Katana and the GA-FC switcher and an expression pedal, it's a winner for me. I do use some sneaky amps. With the 8 patches, I have my main bases covered. One switch and I'm playing.

Elantric and DutchGuitarDude like this.
  15. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

Is anyone having good success with the built in fuzzes? Can they replicate any stand lone pedals and which amp models do they work best with? I’ve just watched The Pedal Show about fuzzes and want to get stuck in...

LCW likes this.
  16. DutchGuitarDude

DutchGuitarDude Member

ok so i just came back from my friend who has the 100w 1x12. Amazing tones in this amp! I'm buying but cant decide on the 1x12 or 2x12. Anyone in here had the 1x12 and went for the 2x12?

17. LCW

LCW Supporting Member

I tried the built-in fuzzes a little. Wasn’t impressed. I think it’s an area where the Katana falls short.

18. DutchGuitarDude

DutchGuitarDude Member

Anyone with a 2x12 thought about closing the back? I did it with my line 6 flextone with very good results....

19. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

Get the Katana Head and separate Katana 212 cab

20. DutchGuitarDude

DutchGuitarDude Member

Ideally yes. But unfortunately I have a budget. So it will be either the 100/112 or 100/212. I reckon the 212 sounds much bigger or is it marginally?