BOSS KATANA 刀 amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by john lan, Sep 9, 2016.

1. jens5

jens5 Supporting Member

Windows defender does that all the time. Just ignore it and install.

2. jens5

jens5 Supporting Member

Volume knob on guitar?

3. jens5

jens5 Supporting Member

Sounds great to me.

kustombob likes this.
  4. jens5

jens5 Supporting Member

Thanks. Was wondering how to do that.

5. jens5

jens5 Supporting Member

Could you please define some of your acronyms.

Bob_E likes this.
  6. jens5

jens5 Supporting Member

You think thats bad? Try installing Cubase!

7. martyncrew

martyncrew Supporting Member

50 vs. 100 combo? I don't need the extra volume but do want to use my Boss FV-50 volume pedal and 2 x FS-5 to select fx so I'm thinking that the extra inputs are worth it.

8. P8t8r

P8t8r Member

100 then :)

Happy New Year!

9. BenoA

BenoA Member

Thanks for the good comment and glad I could help.

If you want to do so, go with the 100w models (1x12, 2x12 or Head).

ry-guy, Axe-Man, ucnick and 2 others like this.
  10. ucnick

ucnick Supporting Member

Fractal. Kemper.

11. JFD

JFD Member

Maybe I did not take a chance, I was hacked once, nothing funny. As subsequently, the link is now ok so I was able to download the program.

BenoA likes this.
  12. Meesha

Meesha Member

Happy New Year !

idgolfguy, mjross and BenoA like this.
  13. notyalcer

notyalcer Silver Supporting Member

Thank you !!! for developing Katana FxFloorBoard for Firmware 2. I just spent a few hours with it. I have some feedback, but first wanted to say that this is incredibly useful software and expands even further what can be done with Boss Tone Studio. I had to use both apps side by side because of a glitch (explained below). I am using the Mac-64 version, and in general I have had none of the problems that others have described with the drivers or the Boss software.

What I love is that FxFloorBoard allows me to customize the order of the effects, instead of being locked into the 3 chain options provided in Tone Studio. Finally, I am able to move the Volume pedal effect first in the chain, instead of the default location after the Pre Amp - now it works more like a passive volume pedal (without the high end loss) and instead of being a master volume, it is more like using the volume knob on my guitar, changing the intensity of the dirt as well as the loudness. Much much better. And also, I am able to move the Wah Pedal before the Boost and Pre Amp - I hate the sound of Wah after an overdrive, so this fixes that. Similarly, I like Chorus to be after the Pre Amp, and Uni-Vibe to be before dirt. I have control now over the placement of the virtual pedals.

I also like the unlocked effects such as Terra Echo and Overtone. These are fun to play with and can be useful for me in certain situations. The Tone Modify and Sitar Sim are interesting as well. I saw the "Experimental" section of the Volume Pedal page, but couldn't get it to work. Would be interested to know if an expression pedal could be assigned to something other than volume or wah now or sometime in the future. I am still wondering what happens if I were to attach two expression pedals to the GA-FC footswitch - but I only have one at the moment.

These are the bugs/glitches I found while working with it. Overall it seems very stable and responsive, other than #3 below.
    1. The preferences don't save, so each time I open the app I have to go into prefs and find the Katana midi in/out device, OK, close, then hit the Connect button. Not a big deal.
    2. When choosing or writing to a patch, it seems to be selecting and acting on a patch below the one selected in the list. It was confusing for me to figure out. My workaround was to run Tone Studio in parallel, make my adjustments in FxFloorBoard and use Tone Studio to write the changes. That seemed to work fine.
    3. Whenever I pressed the Auto Sync button the app would crash.
    I hope that is helpful - happy to answer any questions. Thanks Gumtown! Your work is very much appreciated!

ainaGAS, gumtown and TheMinion like this.
  14. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Member

What I am wondering is do all the changes and and such save to the Katana without Fxfloorboard connected? IOW can I program the Katana with Fxfloorboard and then gig without a computer hooked up and use the Fxfloorboard changes and fx order? Etc etc..

15. notyalcer

Yes. Once a patch is saved to a preset button it won’t change.

Pastafarian likes this.
  16. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Member

Ok thanks. For me the only reason I would use it would be to re-order fx like you mentioned. Last time I installed it I did not like the interface/UI so I didn't bother. Also I have been using BTS for years now with my GP-10 and then with my GT-1 so it's a familiar program for me and I can fly around in it. FxFloorboard felt clunky comparatively.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  17. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

No. That said,the sneaky amp collection has several fender cleans including a clean twin which I really like. You can also dial the stock clean close to a fender sound by dialing the mids back to about 9:00.

Chippertheripper likes this.
  18. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

FWIW, I dont hear fizz per se. To my ears all of the gain sounds on the Katana decay quite naturally with little or no artifacts. What I do hear is an insane amount of treble from the stock amp. I don't know if its the amp tones or the speaker but I suspect its the speaker for 2 reasons. First there are People like you who have swapped speakers or use the head into a cab and they report much better tone than combo users. Secondly I think Boss tuned the stock speaker with the acoustic setting in mind, to give it a brighter tone. All of my gainy presets make EXTENSIVE use of treble rolloffs to keep my eardrums from bleeding.

soulman969, =JL= and ainaGAS like this.
  19. notyalcer

I agree that the Floorboard UI is a little bit rough. It has a “hand made” unpolished feel that I sorta like. I wish the fonts were a little larger as I find them hard to read on screen. I don’t yet understand all that it can do, especially the logic of how it manages storing and retrieving patch libraries. I think it makes a lot more sense in the context of the physical layout of the GT-100 processor; it’s been ported to work with the Katana. That said, it’s very useful and gives another window into how the “hidden” programming of the Katana works, and unlocks a lot of additional capabilities.

20. ainaGAS

ainaGAS Member

It’s really hard to understand why is Boss not giving us the option to rearrange the fx chain and use all the other hidden things on Katana with BTS. I just don’t get it.