BOSS KATANA 刀 amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by john lan, Sep 9, 2016.

1. notyalcer

notyalcer Supporting Member

I agree that the Floorboard UI is a little bit rough. It has a “hand made” unpolished feel that I sorta like. I wish the fonts were a little larger as I find them hard to read on screen. I don’t yet understand all that it can do, especially the logic of how it manages storing and retrieving patch libraries. I think it makes a lot more sense in the context of the physical layout of the GT-100 processor; it’s been ported to work with the Katana. That said, it’s very useful and gives another window into how the “hidden” programming of the Katana works, and unlocks a lot of additional capabilities.

2. ainaGAS

ainaGAS Member

It’s really hard to understand why is Boss not giving us the option to rearrange the fx chain and use all the other hidden things on Katana with BTS. I just don’t get it.

3. gumtown

gumtown Member

To justify the price difference of a "GT-100" vs a "Katana".

ainaGAS likes this.
  4. mista335

mista335 Member

It's been discussed here ad nauseam that the Katana speaker really, really needs to be broken in. That hard edge definitely disappears.

Plenty of posts about this. And I mean plenty.

soulman969, LCW, Bob_E and 2 others like this.
  5. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I've had it for 6 months. It aint getting any more broken in. The amp is bright.

soulman969 likes this.
  6. ainaGAS

ainaGAS Member

Obviously that’s the reason but I still don’t get it. At least they could sell a premium version of BTS with ability to tweak without limits. Of course it’s a good thing for a programmers like you and I appreciate your work but I still feel it’s bad business to limit the amps power, now that we know what’s inside the box.

soulman969 and gumtown like this.
  7. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Have you tried adjusting the global EQ? Just setting the top end setting to around 6k and setting its level to -6db makes a big difference. I was fooling with that setting yesterday but decided I like the flat & 0db setting better for my 12 string. But the global EQ is a powerful feature in the Katana.

soulman969 and jhuse like this.
  8. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Member

It certainly is. I think I like my cut around 8khz when I do use it but right now I have it set flat and I agree the amp is bright but I have success taming that just dialing back the treble in the standard controls. I think someone else mentioned this but I also experience the amp sounder fuller and less bright at higher volumes. A lot of folks tout the Katana as a good bedroom amp but for me it works out much better in a band setting than it does in my studio/bedroom.

soulman969, Joe Duarte and VaughnC like this.
  9. rcl

rcl Member

Same findings here. Thanks for pointing out the new effects, I knew about amps but didnt realize there were some sneaky effects as well. Using some of the GT1 effects means I can create some of the wierd stuff I use on the kat or the GT-more options are good. The big problem for me is the #2 listed above. I pretty much stopped messing with it at that point until =as mentioned, you can run BTS concurrently to make sure you save it to the right place. So I gave it another shot. Never used the previous version of the program. There was also some trick to getting the two programs to play nice, generally choosing another effect and then going back to the one I really wanted to mess with. Otherwise the BTS seems to take priority. Not an issue once the select issue is tweaked. Thanks for the effort you put into this. Much appreciated.

gumtown likes this.
  10. jens5

jens5 Supporting Member

What guitar are you playeing through the Katana? I find a Single coil guitar,(Strat/Tele) may be especially bright. A Humbucker equipped guitar, not nearly as much.

soulman969 likes this.
  11. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

I'm mainly using my tele through a Katana 50, and I'm really sensitive to too much treble. I agree it can be bright if I set it like I would my regular Marshall style amp, but that treble knob works really well.

I've messed with the Global EQ a bit and you can definitely get it to where you can set your TMB knobs in the more "traditional" ranges, but overall, I find the panel EQ works for me.

soulman969 likes this.
  12. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Yeah of course. It works pretty well especially after the firmware update gave us so much control over the EQ. I have the EQ dialed in per patch now but I'm still considering a speaker swap. I want to reduce the amount of EQ I'm using which is pretty heavy handed and IMO should NOT be necessary.

I dont actually use the global EQ because I find the clean tones on the Katana are actually balanced tonally and I can just use the TMB to dial it in. My gain patches have the treble filter down to 4-5k depending on the model. The Brown model is INSANELY bright so it needs more treble cut.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  13. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I play BOTH kinds of guitars: Teles and Strats.

Seriously though, I have a VERY dark PRS singlecut and I still needed to cut the treble using patch EQ, just not as much as with my Fenders. Thats actually a good thing since it proves that the amp response does change based on which guitars you plug in. In fact I use the second bank of patches strictly for the PRS because of this.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  14. Toby Krebs

Toby Krebs Member

I have the Kat 100 head and through 3 different cabs it is very bright.Requires some adjustment.All my Marshalls are really bright too.Go Figure lol!

15. notyalcer

I forgot to mention that I found, at least on a Mac, that you have to launch Floorboard first, connect to the amp, then launch BTS, to get them to play nice together. This has worked consistently for me.

jens5, rcl and gumtown like this.
  16. notyalcer

The brightness of the Katana doesn't seem out of line with the brightness of many Marhsalls - and Fenders for that matter. I have had mine almost a year, but I did put a looper into it with some varied riffage and ran it for about 20 hours one weekend when my wife was out of town, soon after I got it. That mellowed the speaker quite a bit. I like having ample treble, and I have no trouble with the tone knobs getting an articulate but not painfully bright tone. I must admit that my ears have a high-end roll off built in at this point in my playing "career".

Overall I am loving the Kat's tones more and more, especially playing out and at volume. I have to set a different master EQ for my humbucker guitars, after adjusting my patches optimally for single coils (which I favor). That second bank of presets in V2 is very nice to have - I copy my base patches with the global EQ adjustment in this bank to handle the humbuckers.

soulman969 and Elantric like this.
  17. NoBrakes

NoBrakes Member

I had a 100 combo that I thought was a bit bright but nothing that couldn't be dealt with. I've had some pretty bright Marshalls. I do think that's the way the amp is voiced...they seem use the whole "cut through" schtick in their marketing.. bright will do that. I thought the amp was very usable, I returned returned mine just because of gear overlap and nothing to do with the amp's tone.

18. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

IMHO - Folks who think the Katana is "too bright" apparently lack experience playing other bright amps ( Vox AC-30 Top Boost with vintage Bulldog (Celestion) speakers , Fender Twin with JBL speakers,

Luckily on Katana latest firmware there is a Global EQ to tame the high end

The Katana Global EQ is here:

[​IMG]

Launch BTS for Katana, click SYSTEM on lower right,

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    jens5, soulman969, Scatabrain and 2 others like this.
  19. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I played vintage fenders (deluxe and Bassman) for years. I have a marshall style head and cab to A/B with my Kat 100 combo. Without patch EQ, The Kat IS painfully bright by comparison. The ear fatique sets in very quickly compared to my Marshall. I wish I had a Kat 100 head to compare. That would be more apples to apples. I'm still thinking that the major culprit is the speaker. Too many people reporting good results with a speaker swap OR preferring the head/cab to the combo.

Also the treble issue seems to only affect the gainy models. Clean tones are fine.

soulman969 likes this.
  20. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

Anyone use this sneaky amp, the bright combo crunch? I came across this video and it definitely has a blackface scooped sound. I need to try it out. I finally started setting up some B bank tones with my strat but the teething baby has made finding playing time difficult.

Also, very basic question - early on I save a patch with effects engaged from the amp (i.e., not in BTS, just turning the effects knob on the amp and saving the setting). When I switched to that channel, the effect was automatically engaged, and I would have to manually turn it off by hitting the effect button on the GAFC, and then the appropriate button for the effect. Is this the default way saved effects work on a preset? Automatically on and have to manually switch them off? Ideally, I would like to be able to switch to a preset and then have the option of turning on an effect I had save to that preset, instead of turning to the preset and having to turn off the effect first.