1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

BOSS KATANA 刀 amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by john lan, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Michel347

Michel347 Member

Especially that you need to set them to your taste through BTS and then once saved you cannot really mess with the adjustments via the only one knob available on the amp, and as mentioned they are not that great, this is why I got an external fuzz pedal, much more convenient.

LCW likes this.
  2. LeftyGuitarist

LeftyGuitarist Member

I got everything working and played with the with sneaky amps for awhile. They sound MUCH better than the stock settings.

Lution and pete12string like this.
  3. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

I have the 100w 1x12. What are these "sneaky amps"?

4. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

pete12string likes this.
  5. Sneekyb

Sneekyb Member

I’m considering selling my Blackstar HT5R head and 1x12 cab and buying a Katana 100. Can’t decide if it’s a good or bad idea. I like to use either my pedalboard or Line 6 Firehawk with my amp and have read that the Katana clean channel is very well suited for this.

6. BenoA

BenoA Member

@Sneekyb Here is quick clip I did with pedals going into the clean channel. YMMV but the Katana is doing fine with pedals.

philwhitmore, Sneekyb and Davepitt11 like this.
  7. ainaGAS

ainaGAS Member

Just bought a new cab with Celestion Greenback.
    Finally all the fizz is gone!

8. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

While I haven't tried the 2x12 Katana, generally speaking, every 1x12 amp I've tried over the past 50 years sounded somewhat "boxy" to me compared to amps with multiple speakers. But some people like 1x12's fine. I moved out my 1x12 Katana for that reason once I heard the Katana head on a multi-speaker cab...but that's just me. Just depends on how "you" hear it I suppose.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  9. The Interceptor

The Interceptor Member

Among other valve amps I once had a baby HT1R. It was kind of cool. My advice is that the Katana 100 is so cheap that you should find a way to hang on to your Blackstar and buy the Katana. Only sell the Blackstar if you are convinced it no longer has merit in your line up.

soulman969, Sneekyb and gumtown like this.
  10. kor

kor Member

I did some haggling on ebay (also had some ebay bucks) and got a Katana 100 1x12 combo for about 250.00 brand new.

soulman969, mdrake34 and Scatabrain like this.
  11. LeftyGuitarist

LeftyGuitarist Member

Wow! Great price!

kor likes this.
  12. stratguitar577

stratguitar577 Member

I urge everyone to check out Guitar Center’s used section. I just picked up a Kat 100 112 with GA-FC for $250 at a store about an hour away. Had a $50 gift card so paid a little over $200 after tax :)

Scatabrain and jens5 like this.
  13. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Member

FINAL Katana board for gigs.

I also have my SG loaded with a GK3 pickup and I plan to use that for synth, horns, and other special fx in the GP-10. What I really like about the GP-10 is it also doubles beautifully as a backup direct to PA rig. The lower left pedal is a simple looper pedal and will be first in the small chain. It's mostly for dialing in stuff but works great for guitar loops too.

I will have the GP-10 set up mainly for things the Katana doesn't have (or do as well as the GP-10) like Whammy and Wah but also dual duty as my Virtual Instrument rig. I have a great Hammond B3 patch and also some other cool fx. The acoustic mode on the Katana is great for GP-10 modeling and emulations. If you have any other suggestions for the GP-10 I'd love to hear them.

Another thing you cant see is that I have the GP-10 and Vocalist raised above the GAFC and looper pedal with books, screws, duct tape, and velcro and it's rock solid.

I haven't fully decided yet if I am even going to bother with a cab for gigs because I really like the direct out on the head and I may just bring that with this board. Definitely saves time and space in the van to leave the cab at home.

To be continued....or not? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

pagemore likes this.
  14. joeshmoe69

joeshmoe69 Member

That's what I want to do, please tell us more.

How does it do with a live Led Zep AC/DC rock tone???????????

And details about what cab and what speakers.

Thanks Jimmy

15. BenoA

BenoA Member

It won't make you sell your Kemper or Helix... But while working on a mic comparison video with my Katana, I got confused with my audio tracks and it made wonder which were the one done direct or recorded with mics... ???
    I ended to be able to sort them out but that was a good reason to create that clip and I'm curious to get some feedback from TGP forumites. Answer is in the video comments.

DutchGuitarDude likes this.
  16. DutchGuitarDude

DutchGuitarDude Member

I bought the 100 112. I'm gonna buy a separate 2x12 cab, fit an speaker out on the katana. This way I can take the combo with me at home and leave the cab in the rehearsal space. This option is cheaper than a head and a 212.....

17. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Just be careful to use an insulated jack if you chassis mount it as, unlike a tube amp, both sides of the Katana's speaker leads are above chassis ground.

DutchGuitarDude likes this.
  18. Artjr

Artjr Member

Just got a 50 today. Wow all the hope is real.

BenoA likes this.
  19. BenoA

BenoA Member

Congratz! Make sure you have v2 installed to get all the latest features.

Artjr likes this.
  20. joeshmoe69

joeshmoe69 Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Im gonna add this on the inside of the cab
    on my 100 1x12 and it will be wired so when you disconnect
    the external cab the combo speaker will be connected.

It will automatically disconnect combo speaker when external cab plugged in.

Jimmy

[​IMG]

gustavz and DutchGuitarDude like this.